Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986/87 Fleer Basketball Box...How many are left?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Yea, I saw that eBay link from 2014, but if I read correctly it obviously wasn't sealed because the single boxes were pictured in the photos inside the case.

Wow, Julusnc, the cheapest I bought a pack for was 25 bucks in 88-90 sometime. Good for you. Yea, I know a few people who have a box or two of 86 Fleer but no cases to my knowledge and I think Steve is still offering the 1k promo for a picture, which is probably peanuts to a guy who owns a case anyway. Yea, Im starting to think one on PWCC would fetch 85-95k based on high prices lately. Actually surprised one hasn't gone up considering the crazy appreciation of a few of 86 Fleer cards and the fact that the tops card prices might come crashing back down soon on the jordan rookies and stickers (don't think this will probably happen) but if I owned a lot of fleer 86 unopened, I would be taking some of the profits off the table for sure, just to be responsible. I won't have to make that decision though unfortunately
    Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes
  • Options
    I do think the recent run up in 87 fleer unopened from 4-5k to 7-10k is legit considering they have less than half the print run since 86 was so unsuccessful at the time and the centering is even tougher to get perfect on this year. I think that will be a 15k box soon and jordans 2nd year card with only 140 pop roughly gem 10 will be undervalued if it stays around 5k. Its almost half the 86 fleer gem 10 population and that rookie card has doubled in last month. Just my two cents. I only have one. Need to put my money where my mouth is and buy some more!
    Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: boogielabs88
    I do think the recent run up in 87 fleer unopened from 4-5k to 7-10k is legit considering they have less than half the print run since 86 was so unsuccessful at the time and the centering is even tougher to get perfect on this year. I think that will be a 15k box soon and jordans 2nd year card with only 140 pop roughly gem 10 will be undervalued if it stays around 5k. Its almost half the 86 fleer gem 10 population and that rookie card has doubled in last month. Just my two cents. I only have one. Need to put my money where my mouth is and buy some more!

Very true. The one thing the second year has against it, even more than the poor RC crop, is the depressing design. I actually get sad looking at the white and grey. Such a contrast to the colorful, circus flair of the 86.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I love 1986 Fleer and have since the day they came out and I was lucky enough to have pulled a Jordan rookie. But I think the recent rise in unopened packs has gone so fast I actually might sell a Jordan showing pack:

But then again if I can ever find one of these I'd probably pay whatever the asking prices is

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say keep them, at this stage I doubt they ever go down in price. IMHO the 86 Fleer Basketball is very similar to the 52 Topss Baseball. They are both loaded with so called rookies of key HOF players and they both have Iconic cards like the Jordan and Mantle.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine there is a lot more unopened 86 fleer than any of us realize. It wasn't rare upon release and was considered somewhat worthless at the time. I could definitely see a warehouse find or a number of old time collectors with staches of this. The demand is so high though that I just can't see the bottom ever falling out of these.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.