Home U.S. Coin Forum

Been getting back into coins , help me grade please !!

Just looking for opinions on grades to see if I'm close . I know they are no monsters here . Thanks !!

Looking for Atlanta $1-$20 Series 1928-present + Stars , Raw or Graded !! &
FR-1509 ,FR-1509*,FR-1510,FR-1510*,FR-1511*,FR-1512*,FR-1514*
in PCGS 66 or 67PPQ**

EBAY ITEMS
Check out - BrettEldredge.com !! Hometown Singer

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1898 Indian cent - Choice AU sharpness, but it has an odd gloss to it that might indicate that it has been wiped. If it has, the net grade would be in the VF-EF range.

1901 Indian cent - AU sharpness, but appears to be cleaned without original color. Net grade VF-EF range.

1941 half dollar - assume reverse is as good as the obverse - AU-58, slight rub on the high points.

1943 half dollar - same assumption, Could be MS-63 if there is no rub on MS. Liberty's bust line.

1945 half dollar - same assumption, AU-55

1952 half dollar - same assumption, AU-58

1881-S dollar - MS-63, reverse is better, but obverse grades it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are remarkably similar to BillJones: All AU except the dollar and most are likely cleaned.

edit : the 45 Walker may be MS
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with BillJones.... Cheers, RickO
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA Summer Seminar has multiple grading classes for Intro, Intermediate and Advanced/Problem. Both sessions. There are some scholarships available. Might already be filled. , Contact Susan McMillan-Educational Director-Florence Schook School of Education. Easily found at the oft-defamed money.org.

Close to a dozen Forum members teach there.

PCGS and NGC have excellent grading classes on both Coasts.

I can't grade from pictures. That's why ANA will only let me teach U.S. Grading 101. . . image

PCGS online PhotoGrade has excellent images from the rare P01 to the more common MS67 and more.

edited to add:
    copper - others know better
    Walkers - all 55 or 58
    Frankie - MS64 or the cheek is a bigger problem than I know,
    81-S - MS64 on the clean cheek and lustre, despite the obverse fields. They will get lost or discounted in the "in-hand" experience.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't see that Morgan as uncirculated
    LCoopie = Les
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't particularly like any of them. Start looking at as many slabbed coins as you can. The Heritage auction archives are a way to look at hundreds/thousands of coins (if you have the time)....from problem coins to nice ones.
    I'd spend a lot of time looking at genuine holders to see what kind of "look" and problems kills a coin. Cleaned, artifically toned, and altered surface coins will take a heavy toll. Your local shop will be more than happy to unload
    these on you. For starters you have to get some help identifying cleaned and processed coins as well as those with significant marks that will severely affect the price/grade.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All AU except the Franklyn-62-- Morgan MS63.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with BillJones, except I don't see a 1943 walker, I see two 1945's, the first of which is AU58, the second one is AU55, and probably a 1945S judging by the strike.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just looking for opinions on grades to see if I'm close . >>

Next time give us your opinions first. That's way more fun. image

I think Bill's call is good. I also agree with roadrunner's advice.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file