Home Precious Metals
Options

To buy bags of 90%?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you wanted to have some fun with your son, and go through 90% to see what you could find, and just have the rest to put away for awhile, where would you go to buy some with the best chance to have the least "picked over crap"?

Ie....you know you likely won't find keys, you won't find high grade, etc, but you don't want dinged up, scratched up, rejects.

Would you buy on ebay?
Would you buy local at a coin shop?
Would you buy from Apmex?

Would you get $100 bag? $500 bag? $1000?

I think the most fun would be mixed (dimes, quarters, halves I think are most likely) or the halves.

Thoughts from those that have done it?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I know a fellow board member, Tdec, found a 42/41 Merc dime sorting 90%.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend a coin shop.... less likely to have been detail sorted (IME).. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you wanted to have some fun with your son, and go through 90% to see what you could find, and just have the rest to put away for awhile, where would you go to buy some with the best chance to have the least "picked over crap"?

Ie....you know you likely won't find keys, you won't find high grade, etc, but you don't want dinged up, scratched up, rejects.

Would you buy on ebay?
    Would you buy local at a coin shop?
    Would you buy from Apmex?

Would you get $100 bag? $500 bag? $1000?

I think the most fun would be mixed (dimes, quarters, halves I think are most likely) or the halves.

Thoughts from those that have done it? >>

I wondered the same thing when contemplating searching bags for nice circ Walkers for a circ set. At least one local person told me that when someone brings a bunch of circ coins into the shop the nicest ones [even if common] are picked out. Even on eBay, the nicer circ stuff brings a strong premium over melt.

Whether they would open a sealed bag and search it, I have no clue.
  • Options
    Provident Metals might be a good source, but it's too bad that very few if any will look like the one pictured. I would look to a place that by the nature of their business probably wouldn't have an incentive to search bags.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    bochiman, I would say local b&m. They sometimes don't go through everything so carefully, its to buy and flip for a fast profit. Try them.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Its almost like every coin in existence has gone through searches. Finding great grand dad's bucket of coins is rare. If there was one reliable place to have un-searched coins, everybody would have been there.
    Sounds like both advice of local b&m and a large mover both may have some less searched. Maybe try a bit of both. For the most part if I want something specific, easiest way is to buy it.

Maybe spike the bag w a handful of good finds to make it fun for the first time!

I just toss them into the box and sell them as is one day. Something to do like today as my back is shot from snow shoveling.
    COA
  • Options
    I say try your local B&M
    My local would let me go through his 90% and buy just what I wanted at the same rate.
    you could probably take your son with you and just go through it there- I have seen this done at a few B&M's
    just make sure you get the price per $1 before you start.
    It always helps to have a good relationship with your local
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I vote for the local B&M as well.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of B&Ms here....will have to see what each may have/do.
    We've done the "bring the list/holder in and fill in from the bin" before and the B&M was ok with that....I just don't want to park us down in the chair for that long again.....
    He wasn't busy, he didn't seem to mind, and we had a few good chats, so it was all good. But, looking to do this on overcast days and sitting at home for awhile.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I'd guess that what a B & M gets in a sealed bag probably stays in a sealed bag. Loose coins brought in by a customer are probably searched.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would vote the other way. When I bought 90% over the counter, I always took the time to go thru. I think most coin shops do. Gold buying shops might not pick up on specific dates so you might have a chance there. In the heat of the silver price boom, customers of mine had better luck searching 90% bags they bought from apmex and places then my bags I sold.

One of my customers pulled a 21-P and 16-d merc from a bag from apmex, as well as a 32-d quarter from another.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try an operation that specializes in coin collecting first, bullion
    second.

When silver hit $20...3/09..iirc...I walked into a shop that had people 6 deep at the counter.
    I asked the owner how much he bought that day- 200k. He sold 100k back over the counter. You can bet they didn't have time to look at one coin.

Have a nice day