Home Precious Metals

Yeah, you'se people are right, there's no point in collecting old pour Engelhards

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that yesterday when it was around $500 and thought that was high. Did you win it? image
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have paid the $520 it sat at for 2+ days let alone what it went for. I guess I'm not a true collector, and money still is an object image
  • Buyer's money and buyer's taste. If he's happy, I am sure the seller is happier.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    lol, u r hilarious POM...

the one who made $$$ was the seller, was the seller a collector? or was the buyer the collector?

i assume the point in collecting is to aquire?...

so what exactly is your point? i think u infer, there is a point in collecting old engelhard bars...
    but do u really mean, the point is to flip old engelhard bars?.. do u know what u mean?... i dont...lol...

keceph `anah
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to PM's, I am a stacker, not a collector. In coins, I have never sold a coin, I buy them for my collection and keep them. PM's are a different story... stored value.... Cheers, RickO
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put in one not so serious bid with hours to go.

With bidding over $600 with hours to go you could reasonably guess it would go much higher. The final hammer over $1,200 came as a genuine surprise to me.

The bar is an otherwise fairly common 5 T. OZ type minus the serial number. Other styles of 3 oz and 5 oz bars without serial numbers go for a lot less. Since there is an enthusiastic Engelhard collector base, newly discovered bar types will make their own pricing rules.

For now its an "only known" type of bar. The real test of value will be the prices realized if and when other examples surface.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When it comes to PM's, I am a stacker, not a collector. In coins, I have never sold a coin, I buy them for my collection and keep them. PM's are a different story... stored value.... Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. The collector market for rare silver bars is rather thin. If you don't believe me take a few rare silver bars to your local B&M coin shop and see what they offer you. The BST and eBay are about the only places you can sell rare bars and get back your premium over melt. I don't mind paying a modest premium for a rare or unusual silver bar but I'm not expecting to ever get more than melt for these bars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When it comes to PM's, I am a stacker, not a collector. In coins, I have never sold a coin, I buy them for my collection and keep them. PM's are a different story... stored value.... Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. The collector market for rare silver bars is rather thin. If you don't believe me take a few rare silver bars to your local B&M coin shop and see what they offer you. The BST and eBay are about the only places you can sell rare bars and get back your premium over melt. I don't mind paying a modest premium for a rare or unusual silver bar but I'm not expecting to ever get more than melt for these bars. >>

+1
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

Agree. The collector market for rare silver bars is rather thin. If you don't believe me take a few rare silver bars to your local B&M coin shop and see what they offer you. The BST and eBay are about the only places you can sell rare bars and get back your premium over melt. I don't mind paying a modest premium for a rare or unusual silver bar but I'm not expecting to ever get more than melt for these bars. >>

I agree to a point. I can take a rare or unusual silver bar to a local B&M coin shop and get an offer around spot.

Similary I could take in a rare or obscure bit of exonumia to a local B&M and get a fraction of its collector value. I imagine that many types of exonumia have thin collector markets as well. Exonumia offered on Ebay or Heritage taps into a world of collectors.

What's essential is to find the silver bar collectors willing to pay what an item is worth. Much of the action is off Ebay. In this case Ebay served the seller of that 5 T. OZ bar quite well.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that the value of this bar has zero to do with stacking Ag.

This is an investment play, the object just happens to a 5 oz bar.

The bar is not 5 oz of Ag comparable to some other 5 oz Ag bar, it has become

something else.

Age, type, maker, availability, collector base all apply in the exact same way as a rare baseball card with the added
    floor of raw metal value if demand collapses.

Loves me some shiny!
    Exonumia offered on Ebay or Heritage taps into a world of collectors.

And that's the problem (if one wants to call it that) with the approach of some here that have said that collecting old pours is a waste of time and it's all about how many oz's you can amass.
    There's other venues than here where one can find what the true value of what some may call a measley 5 oz silver bar is worth to a "world of collectors", not just what it's worth in the mindset of some individuals here...eg., the whole point of this thread.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who cares what someone said?

collect what you like; other folks need not agree.

Or are you trying to convince them that your opinion is right and theirs is wrong? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always a point being in the market. There's a point in collecting presidential dollars, too, but I'd be hard pressed to prove that point. image
    Or are you trying to convince them that your opinion is right and theirs is wrong? image

2 things to say to this...sacrcasm is extremely under rated when used properly, and verification is a beautiful thing. double image
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clue me in, please...

Why is this not one of the easiest items to duplicate or counterfeit??
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clue me in, please...

Why is this not one of the easiest items to duplicate or counterfeit?? >>

if it is, what does it matter?...
    i know of no fakes in anything that take away from the value of an original...
    keceph `anah
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a shadowbox on the wall behind me that probably holds 125oz.plus in hunks of silver from 1 oz. to 5 oz.....guess I,m a collector image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For now its an "only known" type of bar. >>

I'm surprised somebody hasn't questioned this bar's authenticity since it doesn't match the design details of any known existing bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

<< <i>For now its an "only known" type of bar. >>

I'm surprised somebody hasn't questioned this bar's authenticity since it doesn't match the design details of any known existing bar. >>

Many genuine bars in my collection were not pictured on websites like About.Ag before I purchased them. Previously unknown types are still being found.

At the allenegelhard site they're adding new design types as they are discovered.
    Another 5 oz Engelhard ingot bid up by collectors. $990 and 51 bids with over 3 days to go.

I doubt that only 5 exist. My example cost a lot less.

Engelhard "United" 5 Oz Ingot
  • As did mine, OGIM image
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • These two recent 5oz auctions are a reassurance that collectible Engelhard pieces are holding firm during spot consolidation and will only continue to appreciate in value.

We've seen a nice presentation of 4oz pieces of late and it's interesting to see these 5oz auctions perform so well comparatively.

SB, if I may, keep on stackin!
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out the contraction "you'se."
    I'm still trying to figure out the contraction "you'se."

It's a Chicago thing image

These two recent 5oz auctions are a reassurance that collectible Engelhard pieces are holding firm during spot consolidation and will only continue to appreciate in value.

That sounds familiar, I know I've heard that before somewhere. image