Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

San Francisco First Mint and Subtreasury museum visit

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2018 4:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum
The first San Francisco Mint was open from 1854 to 1874 at 608 Commercial Street near Montgomery Street. The building was previously used by Moffat & Company, a private mint and assay office.

The building became a Subtreasury (government office for holding bullion), then was a branch of the Bank of Canton, and now is the Pacific Heritage Museum with exhibits devoted to Asian art.

There is a small mint museum in the basement of the building with some replica ore carts and bags.

San Francisco First Mint building

The nearby Wells Fargo Bank museum at 420 Montgomery is currently closed, a sign says it will open "early in 2014".

:)
https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... is the building now a 'stand alone' or part of the modern building that appears to be behind it... hard to tell from the picture. Thanks for posting this... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting. I thought that the first San Francisco mint building was long gone. It must of lost a couple stories somewhere along the line. From the old picutures looked like two and half to three story building.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its quite small. It around the corner from where I used to work. Get on down to the Bank of California exhibit. 10mm worth of coins......only a few blocks away.
    Collecting since 1976.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file