Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buying back a coin you sold

I know there are a lot of dealers and folks that sell coins on here. How do you approach a situation when some you sold a coin asks you if you will buy it back? No matter the reason, could be anything from change in collecting direction to family crisis. Are you willing to buy any coin you sold? Do you offer a percentage of the sold price? 70% 80% 90% just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought back coins for more, less and the same price I was paid for the coin. Depends how much I want the coin back
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I once sold a coin to a dealer, then six months later bought it back for 1/10th what I sold it for ... why ? I never asked, I just bought it.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Good customer service goes along way. I would consider offering 90-100% buy back, especially if it is a good customer.
  • Options
    As others have kinda stated depends on the situation of the coin. I wish sometimes I could buy back a lot of things sold at good price. As other forums say stack um cheap stack um deep! Really depends on wallet size!
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only happened to me once and I paid more than he did. I still have that 84cc with lime green toning.

Ex forum member that has reached the age of dating and college. Coins come last these days!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If another collector bought a coin from you it's because they liked it too. If your having sellers remorse why monkey around low balling? Go in at 100% buy back or don't even bother. Just be thankful if they agree to sell it back as the opportunity to reacquire is worth more then haggling over a few dollars.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a dealer I handled the same coins a few times. The answer to your question is that you can only buy and sell at the current market prices which might generate gains or losses for the owner. As a dealer I think that it is very bad form to refuse to buy back an item you have sold to a customer unless you told him or her up front when you sold it that you did not want to handle that piece again.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    If you are a collector then you really have no obligation to buy the coin back unless you just like it. If so then I would say you should pay close if not what you sold it for.

As for a dealer I think that it is important they buy coins back at fair prices. Of course that price could depend on the market at the time.

I am only a collector, however I did buy a coin back from an ebay sale once. It was a raw wheat with nice toning and I did tout the toning when selling. PCGS did not like the color an qt'd the coin. I bought the coin back and paid shipping. I did like the coin very much and still have it. In fact I am glad I bought it back.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In over 20 years of dealing coins I have only had this situation happen once. It was a really nice coin, I bought it back for more than it originally sold for due to upward market movement.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most recent was a 1964 D Peace Dollar by DCARR. The new owner said he really wanted a $10 Gold Indian instead, so he traded that back in ($500 credit), and I got it back. In retrospect, my "LAST '64D Peace Dollar" thread is obsolete, now.

• Options

<< <i>If another collector bought a coin from you it's because they liked it too. If your having sellers remorse why monkey around low balling? Go in at 100% buy back or don't even bother. Just be thankful if they agree to sell it back as the opportunity to reacquire is worth more then haggling over a few dollars. >>

He didnt say anything about sellers remorse, he was offered a coin he sold to someone, no idea where you got sellers remorse from or that he should be thankful
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two personal stories as a collector define my opinion.

First, 20 years ago when I was getting into collecting and before I knew much I went into a shop and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of collector coins. Several days later, after studying them, I went back in and asked the dealer if he would consider buying the coins back, at a discount. I was polite and explained that I had not "shopped" them, but that I wanted higher quality coins. As these were lower priced coins, I suggested a 25-35% discount. The dealer gave me a full refund. Over the years I have spent many tens of thousands of dollars with that dealer and he continues to be a friend and a primary source for my collecting needs.

Second, last year a good friend and mentor passed away. Prior to his passing, and during a brief period when he thought he was getting better, he went overboard and spent 100k or so total on coins with several dealers. Upon his passing, a friend and I went about re-selling his recent purchases for his wife. Two of the dealers, Doug Byrd and Tom Reynolds essentially said they would buy back anything they sold to this individual at very modest discounts...10-15%. That didn't surprise me as I knew these guys. A third dealer who I don't really know also was a class act...Steve Hayden...and I understand he purchased back everything he had recently sold. A fourth dealer with whom I and my friend had done business before sold a high grade set to my friend. I thought the purchase price was quite high, but that is beside the point. That dealer refused to make an offer to re-buy. Said he did not have the cash available. Understandable. I said the family didn't need the funds any time soon. I also suggested a fairly steep discount. He simply refused to review the set or buy back at any price. His prerogative, of course. However, I would never purchase a coin from that individual again.

Tom

• Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    I have had three situations over the last 20 or so years where I asked a prominent dealer to buy a coin back. They were all standing liberty quarters.

The first involved the purchase of a 1920 D in a small ANACS holder graded MS 63. The price paid was really high. When I got the coin I noticed the luster was subdued and the coin appeared dipped out. The strike was good. I tried to cross it at PCGS under one of their promotions. The coin wouldn't cross. I had other knowledgeable folks look at it and they all said it was a dipped out 62 in a 63 holder. Tried to get a buyback from the world renowned Bowers and Merena. I still have a letter from this deal from QDB criticizing PCGS grading. They bought the coin back for about 80%. I took a bath and learned a valuable lesson about coin purchases from the big boys.

The second involved a purchase of a raw MS 63 1926 S. The coin was submitted to NGC and graded 63. Within a year of purchasing this coin, the coin turned from all white to a mottled toning mess in the slab. I mean seriously ugly. It was obvious to me that the coin had been doctored when I purchased it raw. I sent it to the "collectors friend" to review it. He said he couldn't believe what had happened to the coin. He offered to buy it back in the slab for 75% of what was paid. A valuable lesson learned about purchasing raw coins.

The third involved a purchase of a 1918-S in an OGH graded AU 50. The images of the coin were better than the coin. At the time, I was trying to put together a complete collection of SLQ's in OGH. Should have sent it back but kept it. You should always trust your first impression of a coin. I found a lot nicer one graded 58 a few years later. The AU 50 was butt ugly. I tried to sell it at a loss for months. No takers. I sold it back to the dealer for 80% of the original price.

Buybacks are great if you don't mind taking a bath in most instances. I have learned valuable lessons from those buybacks. If I purchase a coin now, I trust my initial instinct and return it. Buybacks are great but you are better off getting it right the first time. An education in buying coins may be tough but it is valuable.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    I know, Mightyhunter, that you are not happy with the fact that those dealers paid you 75 to 80% of what you paid, but that really is an ethical margin if the market for those coins had not go up in the mean time.

I have two other hobbies in addition to coins. The political buttons market is very fluid, and there are really no reliable price guides. The selling prices from one dealer to another can vary greatly. If I could be assured of getting 75 to 80% of what I have paid for many items, I would feel very lucky.

The token and medal market also generally has higher mark-ups than coins. I've made money with medals and tokens, but it has only been due to the fact that the market for those items has gone up a great deal in recent years, mainly due to the Internet IMO.

My third hobby is model trains. There most everything you spend on them is down the tubes. There is a secondary market for used goods, but unless it has somehow how become a "collectable" most of your money is down the drain.

I know that losing money on coins is disappointing, but I don't know of another hobby where your chances for getting back what you paid and perhaps more are any better.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    My experiences run similar. Jim O'Donnell sold me a coin that I returned because I found a better one - he gave me back my full cost. I bought a cent from Tom Reynolds that turned out to be one I already had - he bought it back at what he paid for it before he sold it to me (I take him at his word). Gene Bruder sold me a raw PF 65 three cent piece that I recently tried to sell back to him - he refused to consider it. My favorite is J Cline badmouthing my 1916 quarter in a PCGS 40 holder when he had sold it to me as a 50 and had a 35 for sale at more than I was asking for the 40.

I know that markets go up and down, inventories change, dealers don't like the way I look or are having a good/bad day - still how dealers handle buying back something they sold to you really affects future business, at least for me.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I am just a collector. If I wanted a coin back that I had sold to an individual I would offer what I sold it for if it was to another collector and not a dealer. If it was a dealer, I'd have decide if I'm willing to pay what his upcharge is.

Steve
  • Options
    Please sell them back to me
  • Options

<< <i>My experiences run similar. Jim O'Donnell sold me a coin that I returned because I found a better one - he gave me back my full cost. I bought a cent from Tom Reynolds that turned out to be one I already had - he bought it back at what he paid for it before he sold it to me (I take him at his word). Gene Bruder sold me a raw PF 65 three cent piece that I recently tried to sell back to him - he refused to consider it. My favorite is J Cline badmouthing my 1916 quarter in a PCGS 40 holder when he had sold it to me as a 50 and had a 35 for sale at more than I was asking for the 40.

I know that markets go up and down, inventories change, dealers don't like the way I look or are having a good/bad day - still how dealers handle buying back something they sold to you really affects future business, at least for me. >>

How dealers handle buy backs affects my relationship with them too. Years ago I made a mistake on an early lage cent. I offered to sell the coin back to the dealer from whom I had bought at 60% of his selling price. He won't buy it back. Needless to he is one those who does not get any of my time when I go to the shows. It was a foolish move on his part given the amount that I spend at some shows, but each their own. BTW I eventually sold the coin for more than the 60% buy price I offered to him.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not done this. I normally just upgrade and sell my lesser examples.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My experiences run similar. Jim O'Donnell sold me a coin that I returned because I found a better one - he gave me back my full cost. I bought a cent from Tom Reynolds that turned out to be one I already had - he bought it back at what he paid for it before he sold it to me (I take him at his word). Gene Bruder sold me a raw PF 65 three cent piece that I recently tried to sell back to him - he refused to consider it. My favorite is J Cline badmouthing my 1916 quarter in a PCGS 40 holder when he had sold it to me as a 50 and had a 35 for sale at more than I was asking for the 40.

I know that markets go up and down, inventories change, dealers don't like the way I look or are having a good/bad day - still how dealers handle buying back something they sold to you really affects future business, at least for me. >>

How dealers handle buy backs affects my relationship with them too. Years ago I made a mistake on an early lage cent. I offered to sell the coin back to the dealer from whom I had bought at 60% of his selling price. He won't buy it back. Needless to he is one those who does not get any of my time when I go to the shows. It was a foolish move on his part given the amount that I spend at some shows, but each their own. BTW I eventually sold the coin for more than the 60% buy price I offered to him. >>

I'm sure these type of sentiments reflect many collectors' frustrations time and time again. Through the years I can say the bulk of my purchases were from well known, respected, national, and local dealers that I can count in one hand. Nowadays where do I turn to when it's time to sell, certainly none of the aforementioned dealers, but...

1. BST,
    2. BST,
    3, BST,
    1. ONE and only one dealer
    2. One and only one dealer
    3. One and only one dealer.

• Options
    when I buy something I own it, I certainly wouldn't expect a dealer to sell me a coin then offer to buy it back at all, I find it very odd, that people here feel the dealer has any obligation at all to buy back a coin unless its found to be counterfeit or something
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to deal with very few dealers as my interests are very focused. I have never had an experience where I offered them a coin that they sold me and we didn't come to terms almost immediately.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when I buy something I own it, I certainly wouldn't expect a dealer to sell me a coin then offer to buy it back at all, I find it very odd, that people here feel the dealer has any obligation at all to buy back a coin unless its found to be counterfeit or something >>

of course, dealers do not have any obligation to buy back coins they've sold to their customers. However I've read time and time again dealers stating that they'd be happy to buy back coins they have sold. Besides isn't one source of a dealer's inventory coins they have handled in the past? In my situation, the coins I'm selling were bought a decade or more, and in some cases double decades or more (some dealers will call them "fresh coins)."

What is so frustrating is when they make low ball offers for coins that they've previously labeled as PQ, or make you jump through hoops in order to even make an offer on said coins. Coins like MS CC Morgans that can be sold any time, anywhere to almost anyone.

Another example is I sold 3 MS 93CC Morgan to the one dealer. He bought them w/out seeing pics of coins. How kewl is that.
  • Options

<< <i>when I buy something I own it, I certainly wouldn't expect a dealer to sell me a coin then offer to buy it back at all, I find it very odd, that people here feel the dealer has any obligation at all to buy back a coin unless its found to be counterfeit or something >>

To a point you are right, but if the item was good enough for that dealer to offer at a price at one time, then one would think he would be willing to handle it again at reasonable discount.

Now of the market for that item has totally collapsed, that's one thing.

If the dealer has moved on and is in another area of the coin business or has left the profession all together, that's another.

If the market is the same or stronger, and that dealer is still selling the same type of merchandise, that's another. It says to me that that dealer is out to get people and has no faith in the material he is selling.

If I had a coin that I would not buy back at reasonable amount I'd tell the customer up front. What kind of would that be?

Years a ago a regular customer wanted to trade a certified commemorative half dollar in on something else. It was the worst certified coin I had ever seen. The piece was black as a lump of coal with no luster. I think that it had been dipped and then sent in for grading covered with dipping solution still on it.

I told the guy I didn't want the piece, but he kept going on and on until I took in for 20% below Blue Sheet in trade, which I told that customer was price. I sold the coin to another dealer for 15% below Blue Sheet with the idea that there would be no return. Condemn me if you want to, but that was my approach.
  • Options
    there will always be dealers willing buy an item, but should any dealer even for a second feel obligated to buy it back or risk someone never doing business with them again ? I just don't see how that is fair, the dealer didn't sell it because he would like it back, he sold it to grind out a bit of profit, if a dealer is willing to do a but back that dealer should be commended, but if a dealer sells a coin and would rather not handle it again, should that dealer be condemned ? I say no
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had several experiences over the years were some dealers didn't want their coins back at any price. In one case the dealer (a forum member) actually chuckled at me when looking a seated quarter they had sold me. They said, "this looks like the one we sold you." ......as they laughed and quickly shoved it back into the box hoping to change the subject. We both new it was a turd and I should have never bought it. These dealers never got another dime from me. One dealer (back in the 1970's) went so far as to say that the coins I was bringing back to them for repurchase never came from them. Now, that's really pushing the envelope....especially when those coins were a Very Fine 1799 dollar and a BU 1838 RE half. Not exactly the type of coins that come in the LSC every week. I agree, it's bad form to go out of your way not to buy back your old coins. The usual line is I'm low on cash right now or I have no current customer or places to go for that kind of coin at the moment. Sorry, but I hold a grudge for that kind of behavior. It's my money. I can spend it where I want.

I've always felt that most local shops sell mostly marginal, over-graded or lower end stuff to their customers and that they just don't want it back. For one, they can't afford to buy that stuff back without a huge discount to what they sold it to you for. To do otherwise would expose the huge margins they are working on. They'd rather buy fresh stuff through the door from the unknowing as MS63 and sell it for MS65 money than to pay fair money to buy stuff back from the "informed" at the stated grade. Most of them pray that you never come back as a seller......but just keep buying from them on the one way street. When initiating a relationship with a local shop or any dealer for that matter make it a point of trying to sell something back to them before too much time passes. If you get resistance early on they may not be worth keeping as one of your dealers. And if you never try to sell anything back to them until hour hand is forced? Then there's a good chance you'll get to start your own thread here someday. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtually any dealer should be glad to buy any coin - whether it's a buyback or not - if there's a profit to be made. I think that most refusals to buy back a coin aren't so much about the coin or even the price, but about the dealer's judgment that the customer would be offended - justified or not - by the buyback offer.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Actually tried doing this earlier today. Bought '76 and '76cc seated quarters from my local dealer then bought upgrades from him later. Tried to sell them back - actually just credit towards a new purchase - and was offered a little less than half what I originally paid. They're still in his 2x2s with his hand written price on them so there could be no question about them being his or the price I paid. I was a little disappointed and didn't take him up on the offer and will try the auction at my next coin club meeting. However, I still consider him a friend and generally get good deals from him. It has been years since the original purchase and he says the market has changed for mid-grade collectibles so I understand it's just business.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options

<< <i>Tried to sell them back - actually just credit towards a new purchase - and was offered a little less than half what I originally paid. They're still in his 2x2s with his hand written price on them so there could be no question about them being his or the price I paid. I was a little disappointed and didn't take him up on the offer... >>

Do you know how long they were in his inventory before you bought them? Do you know how long he expects them to stay in his inventory should he buy them back from you? I suspect the answers to those questions have some impact on the amount he offered to pay you.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>there will always be dealers willing buy an item, but should any dealer even for a second feel obligated to buy it back or risk someone never doing business with them again ? I just don't see how that is fair, the dealer didn't sell it because he would like it back, he sold it to grind out a bit of profit, if a dealer is willing to do a but back that dealer should be commended, but if a dealer sells a coin and would rather not handle it again, should that dealer be condemned ? I say no >>

You are not going to get consensus on this position. I spend my money with dealers I trust. If they are specialty dealers, I would expect them to repurchase anything I bought from them - and I think most of them do; just maybe not at a price I'd like. Still, I would expect them to make some sort of offer. But if they sell me over-graded crap and refuse to consider buying it back - they are off my list. Furthermore, if they sell coins that they don't buy back - I think one should be wary of them.

Not saying that you are wrong; I just think this position is wrong for me.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector I would not expect a dealer to buy back a piece from me but I would look at that dealer more favorably as a person with whom I would want to do future business....

• Options
    There are just as many wannabe dealers who call themselves collectors, as there are dealers who wannabe collectors. Probably more, from my experiences after 5 years.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Bill summed it up. It happens all the time, and you have to buy based on current market whether up down, the same.

Sometimes On a good customer, I will try to pay a little better if I can than I would if off the street.

jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file