Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Tokens 4 Thursday... Post Some Exonumia ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1869 Independent Order of Odd Fellows - Philadelphia Fiftieth Anniversary Grand National Celebration, 51mm Diameter, Silvered White Metal

1895 Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Philadelphia, Copper, 25mm Diameter

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow >>

This.

Steve
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Beatles come to America for the first time. Hard to believe it's been 50 years.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bring a little clashing to the party...

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck that Fiftieth anniversary has a very cool! Love the design...

ABimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck... I like that token more and more each time you show it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apothecaries weight

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are neato

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example of the Oath of Allegiance medal that the Philadelphia mint issued at the beginning of the Civil War. The stated purpose was celebrate the fact that mint officials had gotten mint employees to swear their allegiance to the Union cause, but the real purpose was an excuse to issue another mint medal with Washington on it. In those days there were many people who collected Washington items, and most any piece that a bust of "The Father of Our Country" could find a collector following. This is there reason why a few Civil War tokens have a tiny Washington bust on them, almost as an afterthought.

The piece has the beautiful 19th century mahogany finish on it, which makes the medals from this era far more appealing than the "yellow bronze" pieces the mint issues today. The 19th century mintage was 808 in copper, which makes this piece fairly common by 19th century standards.

And here is an example of the Northwestern Sanitary Fair. This fair was held in Chicago just after the Civil War in June 1865 which was exactly one year after the better known Philadelphia Sanitary Fair was held. The mintage is listed as "1,000?" in copper. That would make this seem like a fairly common medal for the 19th century, but it isn't. Many of these pieces were sold at the fair to non collectors who mishandled them. Therefore a lot of the survivors are beat up and often unattractive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file