Home Precious Metals
Options

Opinions on gold plated tungsten fakes

I've been hearing rumors about gold plated tungsten bullion for a while.

I haven't seen any myself and heard of a single kilo bar as being passed off as real gold in my local area, but it wasn't found out until the bar got assayed etc.

So this brings me to the question, has any seen these gold plated crud bars or bullion?

Do they look realistic? Does the color look real? Is the plating thick enough to pass an acid test?

I've been buying gold bullion regularly for years, however I'm concerned now about this and would like to know anyone's experiences or thoughts about this.

Looking forward to learning more about coins from fellow well respected numismatists

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are gold plated tungsten products on aliexpress.com

They would fool those not looking for fakes.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been hearing rumors about gold plated tungsten bullion for a while.

I haven't seen any myself and heard of a single kilo bar as being passed off as real gold in my local area, but it wasn't found out until the bar got assayed etc.

So this brings me to the question, has any seen these gold plated crud bars or bullion?

Do they look realistic? Does the color look real? Is the plating thick enough to pass an acid test?

I've been buying gold bullion regularly for years, however I'm concerned now about this and would like to know anyone's experiences or thoughts about this. >>

If you purchase your bars from Nationwide reputable dealers, you should have no concern. If on the other hand, purchased your bars on Ebay, especially from UK sellers, I would be concerned.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is against eBay policy to sell fake bullion on eBay

Feel free to nuke those items. I just nuked 3 items from 1 seller ... There's likely plenty more out there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is against eBay policy to sell fake bullion on eBay >>

Plated coins or plated bullion as well. The usual giveaway is the word "Mills" in the listing or on the item. When you find one, the seller usually has plently of others listed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

Plated coins or plated bullion as well. The usual giveaway is the word "Mills" in the listing or on the item. When you find one, the seller usually has plently of others listed. >>

Good luck in having any UK based seller nuked for peddling this junk.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Plated coins or plated bullion as well. The usual giveaway is the word "Mills" in the listing or on the item. When you find one, the seller usually has plently of others listed. >>

Good luck in having any UK based seller nuked for peddling this junk. >>

having some success, will keep plugging away.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion? They suck.

Am I worried about them? Not at all. I sold my single 10 ounce gold bar and now buy nothing but eagles, classic US gold, and other smaller items I'm certain or near certain are genuine.

That gold bar was fun to own. And I'm vain enough to love having such a massive piece of bullion. But it didn't contain any more gold than 10 eagles or 40 1/4 eagles. And those are easier to sell, they're in smaller amounts so I don't have to liquidate a $12,000 or $13,000 position to obtain a few thousand or even a few hundred dollars. And I and everyone I know who cares about PMs are completely at ease in determining authenticity of American gold eagle coinage, while nobody I know who cares about PMs is completely at ease in determining authenticity of a large gold bar by even the best and most well-known makers.

Leave them alone. Good delivery bars are for backing. Small fractional units are for stacking image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick with AGE's....and nuggets I find.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you purchase your bars from Nationwide reputable dealers, you should have no concern. >>

That is no guarantee. 10 oz JM gold bars nearly fooled a longtime New York dealer. Only a drill test confirmed his suspicion.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you purchase your bars from Nationwide reputable dealers, you should have no concern. >>

That is no guarantee. 10 oz JM gold bars nearly fooled a longtime New York dealer. Only a drill test confirmed his suspicion. >>

That bar was not purchased directly from J&M but a counterfeit bar. btw it was a 20 oz bar.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is no guarantee. 10 oz JM gold bars nearly fooled a longtime New York dealer. Only a drill test confirmed his suspicion. >>

That bar was not purchased directly from J&M but a counterfeit bar. btw it was a 20 oz bar. >>

it was obviously a counterfeit bar, but the quality was superb and could certainly slip through the cracks of the finest and most reputable dealers.

• Options

<< <i>btw it was a 20 oz bar. >>

This is story that I was referring to. bar was 10 oz. If you are hearing about the 20 ouncers as well, it demonstrates the severity of the problem.

Text

"""MTB, the Swiss manufacturer of the gold bars, said customers should only buy from a reputable merchant. The problem, he admits, is Ibrahim Fadl is a very reputable merchant."""

Bar was in fact a Pamp, not JM.
  • Options

<< <i>I will stick with AGE's....and nuggets I find.... Cheers, RickO >>

Especially the one's filled with chocolate.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the ring test would work---balance the coin or bar on the tip of your finger near your ear and then tap it with a pencil and listen to the ring---different metals produce different rings with gold being one of the most melodious.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>btw it was a 20 oz bar. >>

This is story that I was referring to. bar was 10 oz. If you are hearing about the 20 ouncers as well, it demonstrates the severity of the problem.

Text

"""MTB, the Swiss manufacturer of the gold bars, said customers should only buy from a reputable merchant. The problem, he admits, is Ibrahim Fadl is a very reputable merchant."""

Bar was in fact a Pamp, not JM. >>

Ibrahim obviously did not purchase the bar directly from PAMP. I suspect he got a deal he couldn't refuse. If it's to good to be true, it usually is. That's my take.
  • Options

<< <i>Ibrahim obviously did not purchase the bar directly from PAMP. I suspect he got a deal he couldn't refuse. If it's to good to be true, it usually is. That's my take. >>

So you believe that the major reputable dealers only buy from the refiners and not the public?

Ever been to the Apmex site?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ibrahim obviously did not purchase the bar directly from PAMP. I suspect he got a deal he couldn't refuse. If it's to good to be true, it usually is. That's my take. >>

So you believe that the major reputable dealers only buy from the refiners and not the public?

Ever been to the Apmex site? >>

Many times. I suspect you have never heard of a: XRF Analyzer and XRD Analyzer.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Many times. I suspect you have never heard of a: XRF Analyzer and XRD Analyzer. >>

Do they work when the bar is heavily gold plated?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Many times. I suspect you have never heard of a: XRF Analyzer and XRD Analyzer. >>

Do they work when the bar is heavily gold plated? >>

Yes....

the below model is the small cousin of larger units.

XRF & XRD Analysers
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Here is a good article on how some of these non-destructive testing methods work.