Home Precious Metals

Running from the Apocalypse

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
As being experienced in Atlanta even now....

I posted this story in some thread in this forum a while ago.... here it is again

on 9/11 I was in a class just as the second plane hit. I knew the first plane hit from the car radio just before class.

The school closed down and I assumed everyone in the area closed too. It took 3 HOURS to leave the parking lot. Once out of the parking lot, I saw that actually no one else had closed but the school.

3 HOURS and we were the ONLY closure.

Look at Atlanta. Everyone left at once and there are still people stuck in traffic in places.

Should there be a dirty bomb, chemical or biological attack... or you get word the missiles are over the Arctic... you have 3 options
1) shelter in place
2) use a dirt bike to make your own route out
3) die in place.

There will be NO mass evacuation. Another Atlanta will be the result. Sure, Atlanta had ice and/or snow on the road. They had snow and ice induced accidents. Still... the roads and even the parking lot exits were not made for EVERYONE to try to drive on them at once.

Think of DisneyWorld in florida.... you think ALL the park can evacuate at once? In their dreams(word usage intended)! don't even run for the normal exits.... you'll have fewer people in front of you and do just as well to run on foot in any other direction, fences be damned and climbed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I always wondered why in the movies when everyone was evacuating from (zombies, tidal wave, bomb, etc), why they didn't open the incoming lanes to outgoing traffic. Why didn't people just cross the median and drive on the wrong side of the road? If a tidal wave is coming or whatever, I'm not just going to sit in a long line of cars, I cross the median and drive 100 MPH away.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct.... only prior planning can help when the SHTF.... bugout bag in the car, plan for family assemblage, contact methods etc..... read some 'prepper' sites.... no need to become one, but one can sure learn some good things ..... Cheers, RickO
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a good lawnchair and a cooler beats running

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me almost 2 hrs to go 2miles down the street when they closed our building in Atlanta. Sat at a pizza joint for a couple hours until all that settled down. Had the Ram, took another 2 hrs to get home once I got on the road. If I had drove the jeep downtown it would have been cake.

Was ridiculous. My mother made it up 575 after 9+ hrs stuck on the road behind all the accidents and idiots. Definitely had an apocolypse feel to it.......Metro Atlanta and weather are the bane of my driving.
  • our cities and states are basically run by the inept who are put in place because they are "cool" or "progressive".... What does anyone expect? NYC's recent mayoral race a good example.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bugout bag in the car, >>

I'm saying trying to drive out in a car won't work.

better on an ATV or dirt bike

All car routes will be clogged. An evacuation will have to be over unmarked land routes and through water. Just hope the bridges are not so blocked you can't squeeze through.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I want to know is why can't anyone south of the Mason Dixon line drive in 2 inches of snow ?

I remember living in South Carolina in 1989 and a 2 inch snow storm closed schools for 4 days image

People were flinging their cars into trees and ditches all over the place like they were doing it on purpose.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I want to know is why can't anyone south of the Mason Dixon line drive in 2 inches of snow ?

I remember living in South Carolina in 1989 and a 2 inch snow storm closed schools for 4 days image

People were flinging their cars into trees and ditches all over the place like they were doing it on purpose. >>

They can't drive in the rain down here, much less white rain with pure ice on the road below it.
    think of it as a torpedo. If you run towards it fast enough it won't have time to arm itself.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a good lawnchair and a cooler beats running >>

And all the gold in the world won't do you much good.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>a good lawnchair and a cooler beats running >>

And all the gold in the world won't do you much good.image >>

Nor will the digital paper
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I want to know is why can't anyone south of the Mason Dixon line drive in 2 inches of snow ?

People were flinging their cars into trees and ditches all over the place like they were doing it on purpose. >>

There are some Up Nort who can't drive in/on snow any better than your Southern folk.

They don't learn from the few times they are forced to do it. Don't ask me why. Even coming every few years, you'd think that'd require learning after the 4th or 5th time. Instead they freak out and make careless mistakes.

Here in undisclosed CT, the plows seem to get out less than around DC but in CT more drive in it anyway.

And gold will help if you can flee in a vehicle -- live on the ocean and take a boat out. Take a bag and a dirt bike.

Or, shelter in place (incoming missiles may make this useless)
  • imagefor when the SHTF
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As being experienced in Atlanta even now....

I posted this story in some thread in this forum a while ago.... here it is again

on 9/11 I was in a class just as the second plane hit. I knew the first plane hit from the car radio just before class.

The school closed down and I assumed everyone in the area closed too. It took 3 HOURS to leave the parking lot. Once out of the parking lot, I saw that actually no one else had closed but the school.

3 HOURS and we were the ONLY closure.

Look at Atlanta. Everyone left at once and there are still people stuck in traffic in places.

Should there be a dirty bomb, chemical or biological attack... or you get word the missiles are over the Arctic... you have 3 options
    1) shelter in place
    2) use a dirt bike to make your own route out
    3) die in place.

There will be NO mass evacuation. Another Atlanta will be the result. Sure, Atlanta had ice and/or snow on the road. They had snow and ice induced accidents. Still... the roads and even the parking lot exits were not made for EVERYONE to try to drive on them at once.

Think of DisneyWorld in florida.... you think ALL the park can evacuate at once? In their dreams(word usage intended)! don't even run for the normal exits.... you'll have fewer people in front of you and do just as well to run on foot in any other direction, fences be damned and climbed. >>

Are you going to build a bomb shelter for yourself?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

As far as for myself, I'm not in the doomsday economic crowd. we won't default. We'll just do like greece did and get some people to agree to take less money.

I'm more of the terror attacks are possible crowd, but hope now that I'm not in DC that will make me less of a target. Call it a "tornado room" or whatever I wouldn't mind having something.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow in Atlanta is doomsday? Say that to a 12 year girl in Damascus.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

you did not read carefully.

I'm using Atlanta as an example of catastrophe predictions --- as in --- if there is a real evacuation and everyone leaves at once by car, then no one is going to go anywhere. They'll die in place. Hours and Hours to go virtually nowhere. Boom. The missile hits and they're gone.

Or you get a boat or ATV or dirt bike.

• << <i>you did not read carefully.

I'm using Atlanta as an example of catastrophe predictions --- as in --- if there is a real evacuation and everyone leaves at once by car, then no one is going to go anywhere. They'll die in place. Hours and Hours to go virtually nowhere. Boom. The missile hits and they're gone.

Or you get a boat or ATV or dirt bike. >>

you're right, any scenario will be almost as big as a disaster. Here in NY, hurricane sandy proved few are prepared for anything big. Big cities will be graveyards if anything catastrophic occurs.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Them 18 wheelers what screws Atlanta traffic up! Bring back trains.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    The problem was:

1) The snow turned to water and then turned to ice. (You cannot drive on an ice-skating rink, I don't care who you are, Yankees included)
    2) The emergency management fumbled a bit either by misinformation or delayed information which led to #3.
    3) Everyone left at the same time, which in a city of hundreds of thousands of cars and semi trucks + problem #1, don't work.

Everyone that might find themselves in such a situation above Florida should have a emergency bag in their vehicle (gun, protein bars, vitamins, matches, water purifier, etc). Everyone can't drive around with an ATV or dirtbike in tow for a break-out-thru-the-woods getaway.

I was hunkered down at the farm the last couple days with my generator serviced up to run the fridge, freezer, and well. Had a mean wood stack to burn in the fireplace. Had a closet full of canned goods and a camping stove to make a baked bean gourmet meal. Goats and chickens were fed good just in case the beans ran out......
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem was:

1) The snow turned to water and then turned to ice. (You cannot drive on an ice-skating rink, I don't care who you are, Yankees included)
    2) The emergency management fumbled a bit either by misinformation or delayed information which led to #3.
    3) Everyone left at the same time, which in a city of hundreds of thousands of cars and semi trucks + problem #1, don't work.

Everyone that might find themselves in such a situation above Florida should have a emergency bag in their vehicle (gun, protein bars, vitamins, matches, water purifier, etc). Everyone can't drive around with an ATV or dirtbike in tow for a break-out-thru-the-woods getaway.

I was hunkered down at the farm the last couple days with my generator serviced up to run the fridge, freezer, and well. Had a mean wood stack to burn in the fireplace. Had a closet full of canned goods and a camping stove to make a baked bean gourmet meal. Goats and chickens were fed good just in case the beans ran out...... >>

I can drive on an ice skating rink. In the past I had done a few jobs on islands in lake winnipesauke in New Hampshire. The only way to do the job was wait until winter when the ice was safe to drive a truck over to the island.

4 wheel drive helps with driving and steering obviously , but when it comes time to stop the best thing thing to have is a good old fashioned manual transmission. shifting down through the gears and careful use of the brake pedal will do the trick. On a sheet of ice , antilock brakes don't help in fact experimenting has led me to believe they make it worse. Whether they lull drivers into a false sense of security or just can't cope with true glare ice I don't know , you definitely can't feel the road through the brake pedal though.

The main problem is life in 2013 has gotten too convenient and no one learns how to drive anymore. Antilock brakes make people think just mashing that pedal to the floor will stop the car. Automatic overdrive transmissions have caused collective amnesia about the concept of engine braking. Texting and driving probably don't help either , it only takes one of those idiots at the head of the train to stop everyone else.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but of all the trucks I own , my favorite is my 1970 bronco . Manual drum brakes , manual transmission and manual steering.

Older is better in general but, when I first got it , it had vacuum wipers I dumped those pretty quick , I'm not a barbarian image

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snow turned to water and then turned to ice. (You cannot drive on an ice-skating rink, I don't care who you are, Yankees included)

Speak for yourself (humor intended here)! I used to manage an Olympic-sized ice arena in Colorado and I was responsible for plowing the ice inside the rink whenever we had more than 2" of of snow, which could not be picked up by the Zamboni. So your blanket statement doesn't quite apply. What troubles me is all of the other people who cannot do this, be they Southerners or Northerners....
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as for myself, I'm not in the doomsday economic crowd. we won't default. We'll just do like greece did and get some people to agree to take less money.

I'm more of the terror attacks are possible crowd, but hope now that I'm not in DC that will make me less of a target. Call it a "tornado room" or whatever I wouldn't mind having something. >>

Greece doesn't have the same demographics as we have.
    Two prominent American banking executives committed suicide in London the past weekend.
    Maybe not doomsday, but there's something brewing.
    Just imagine EBT cards shut down nationally.

Not many places to run to.
    snowbirds have the luxury of a highway department that has snowplows, salt trucks and winter road preparation personnel. Experience on icey roads is a plus.

• Living in the city makes you dependent on others. Water, electricity, food, roads, police for your protection,garbage pickup ........any slight interruption in these and you get chaos.

I lived in Long Island when they were building a nuclear power plant. Finally they realized that there was no way to evacuate the place if there was a problem so they spent many more millions tearing it down before it was finished.

Then after the first attack on the WTC I moved back to the country.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.