Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.... that Vaquero is interesting...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    And a Mormon $10, have there been any auctions of one since 1984?

A Reid quarter eagle. Wonder if the other denominations aren't there, are just not listed yet?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Time, Indeed. Very cool.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I love the territorials....just wish I could afford some.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely adore the $1 Pacific Gold piece!!
    There was a silver $1 a few months back that went for huge money
    That too was awesome

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are fascinating pieces of American history. Anyone interested should pick up Don Kagins book. Thanks for posting these links
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are simply stunning coins. What a marvelous collection!
    Mark

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a major league consignment - have been watching the catalog descriptions slowly get posted.

I'm guessing that records will get shattered, unless it's too much all at once……….
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those all look pretty sweet.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1849 Pacific Company $5 does it for me. *pant pant*
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Don Kagin's book is a real treasure about a most interesting area of numismatics. It is great history and a great read.

I am eagerly awaiting the updated next edition.
    Ed
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat stuff!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the territorials....just wish I could afford some.
    Thanks for sharing! >>

that makes 2 of us for sure. it would be nice
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pieces, if I had to pick one it would be the $50 Kellogg & Co gold piece. My second choice, the $20 Humbert. I get the sensation of being on the outside looking in image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Yes, this is one of the all-time greatest collections of private and territorial gold coins. I devoted two articles to it, and, if the publisher had permitted me to do so, I would have written at least a half-dozen articles about it. In regard to West Coast pieces, the combination of completeness, quality and coolness of this collection is awe-striking, perhaps the best such group to be sold at public auction, since the Garrett sales of 1979-80.

I really thought that the Kellogg Fifty might get to $1 million! I thought the Pacific Company pieces realized weak prices. Many of the other prices were very strong, especially the results for the Baldwin coins!

There have been offered better collections of Bechtlers and the Bechtlers in this collection realized moderate prices. So, I figured that the Bechtlers were among the least newsworthy pieces in the collection and did not write about them.

Did forum members view and/or seek to buy any of these? What were your favorites?

The Riverboat Collection of Private & Territorial gold coins, part 2: Auction Results

“The Riverboat Collection” of Private & Territorial gold coins: Pre-auction Analysis
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file