Options

Heard on CNBC today

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

With regards to todays stock market.

" the biggest danger here is that you don't buy and you miss the dip" image

Comments

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a dangerous comment! The stock market party may be over for a while.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People taking term gains is all, hit the dips absolutely.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With regards to todays stock market.

" the biggest danger here is that you don't buy and you miss the dip" image >>

sounds like the old.."double down"advise... lol...
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Whoever buys heavily now is a dip.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's a one-line quote, and taken out of context at that, how much could there be to say about it?

Could be a true statement or not, or a matter of opinion, depending on what's being discussed

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just seem so desperate , just BTFD over and over , up up up its goin up pedal to the metal . In the 90's I watched the channel all the time . The programming they run now would have Mark Haines rolling over in his grave. The afternoon lineup is the worst , the show where you have the asian woman as the host and those 4 boiler room weirdos blathering about options strategies looking at you with that crackhead gleam in their eyes. Don't even get me started on Cramer image

Morning isn't so bad as that but I'd rather watch Bloomberg .
  • Options
    It's not a correction yet.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    sounds like the old.."double down"advise... lol

maybe triple down LOL. That is exactly what the root of the statement is. So many are still buried and may never realize their money back let alone turn a profit. The only hope for them is to plunge deeper by buying more and try to cost average their way out of a horrible position...which is the absolute worst thing to do.
    When you see a stock that you own go down 15% (that's just my personal number of continuing to hold risk), I double down at a minimum one time, absolutely only that one time. See what happens from there (of course don't just blindly do it solely because it's reached 15% down, many other factors come into play). If it slides 5% more from that one time double down cost avgd. position, get OUT! Admit to yourself that you were wrong and chalk it up to experience, or as my Dad use to say, "That was tuition in learning a hard lesson by exposing yourself to what is essentially glorified gambling."

It's not a correction yet.
    image Not even close. At least another 20% to be had.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    300 is nothing. That used to be the average daily when it was around 11000 - 12000.
    You'll see soon. Expect 4000.
    COA
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I was tempted to put some in when it passed 16K but have been out since 2011. If it hits 6500 that's when I may get back in.

I lost half of my 401k in 08, but left it all in the market and got it all back in 2011, that's when I pulled it all out.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This market dip is nothing that $200 billion/month can't take care of.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like a theme park.... lots of rides... and this one has a lot of dips and highs....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    When you see a stock that you own go down 15% (that's just my personal number of continuing to hold risk), I double down at a minimum one time, absolutely only that one time. See what happens from there (of course don't just blindly do it solely because it's reached 15% down, many other factors come into play). If it slides 5% more from that one time double down cost avgd. position, get OUT! Admit to yourself that you were wrong and chalk it up to experience, or as my Dad use to say, "That was tuition in learning a hard lesson by exposing yourself to what is essentially glorified gambling." >>

How many people do that / advocate such when it comes to stocks, then turn around and talk about lowering DCA on silver through the 30% yearly drops?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoever buys heavily now is a dip. >>

agreed, be very careful.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever buys heavily now is a dip. >>

agreed, be very careful. >>

Tough to tell whether another high will soon be reached. We are stretched pretty tight now though at over 50 times SP500 dividend yield.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I view such advice as the penalty for watching CNBC.
  • Options
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I view such advice as the penalty for watching CNBC. >>

Nonsense..... Isn't that also the "buy song" used by PM stackers? btw, I'll take CNBC's advice with an open mind and try to ignore most conspiracy advocates.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Nonsense..... Isn't that also the "buy song" used by PM stackers? btw, I'll take CNBC's advice with an open mind and try to ignore most conspiracy advocates. >>

Sound advice. General Electric's mouthpiece network will never steer you wrong.

I recall during the govt shutdown last Fall, the Australian Airhead on the station lamenting the checks and balance system of government that would allow this travesty to continue. The smarter co host shut her up quickly.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ready for a "third party" news network.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nonsense..... Isn't that also the "buy song" used by PM stackers? btw, I'll take CNBC's advice with an open mind and try to ignore most conspiracy advocates. >>

Sound advice. General Electric's mouthpiece network will never steer you wrong.

I recall during the govt shutdown last Fall, the Australian Airhead on the station lamenting the checks and balance system of government that would allow this travesty to continue. The smarter co host shut her up quickly. >>

BTW, I believe, GE sold CNBC almost 4 years ago to COMCAST.
  • Options
    I believe that this information is current.

NBC Universal was formed in August 2004 by the merger of General Electric's NBC with Vivendi's Vivendi Universal Entertainment.[5][6] GE and US cable TV operator Comcast announced a buyout agreement for the company on December 3, 2009. Following regulatory approvals, the transaction completed on January 28, 2011. Comcast subsequently owned 51% of NBC Universal while GE owned 49%.[6][7][8]
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that this information is current.

NBC Universal was formed in August 2004 by the merger of General Electric's NBC with Vivendi's Vivendi Universal Entertainment.[5][6] GE and US cable TV operator Comcast announced a buyout agreement for the company on December 3, 2009. Following regulatory approvals, the transaction completed on January 28, 2011. Comcast subsequently owned 51% of NBC Universal while GE owned 49%.[6][7][8] >>

Almost .. but it's dated.

"Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, will consolidate its control over NBCUniversal by buying out the 49 percent of the media company that it doesn't already own. Comcast will pay General Electric $16.7 billion for the shares and shell out $1.4 billion for related real estate, including the iconic 30 Rockefeller Plaza." Feb 12 2013.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that this information is current.

NBC Universal was formed in August 2004 by the merger of General Electric's NBC with Vivendi's Vivendi Universal Entertainment.[5][6] GE and US cable TV operator Comcast announced a buyout agreement for the company on December 3, 2009. Following regulatory approvals, the transaction completed on January 28, 2011. Comcast subsequently owned 51% of NBC Universal while GE owned 49%.[6][7][8] >>

Almost .. but it's dated.

"Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, will consolidate its control over NBCUniversal by buying out the 49 percent of the media company that it doesn't already own. Comcast will pay General Electric $16.7 billion for the shares and shell out $1.4 billion for related real estate, including the iconic 30 Rockefeller Plaza." Feb 12 2013. >>

About the same time that the Money Honey got schmiesed. image