Home Precious Metals
Options

My prediction for gold tomorrow

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today, gold had it's "best" day in recent memory, up over $25.00, possibly because of fears that Argentina's currency crisis will have ripple effects on other fiat.

I'm firmly in the conspiracy camp that gold gets stomped tomorrow. Just because.

Your thoughts?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Depends on what the honchos in Davos decide.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today, gold had it's "best" day in recent memory, up over $25.00, possibly because of fears that Argentina's currency crisis will have ripple effects on other fiat.

I'm firmly in the conspiracy camp that gold gets stomped tomorrow. Just because.

Your thoughts? >>

GS says to bail while you can. Get out while the gettings good. image As for tomorrow? Barring any new news we'll see Au give back all of today's gains. It's in the cards for now........
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today, gold had it's "best" day in recent memory, up over $25.00, possibly because of fears that Argentina's currency crisis will have ripple effects on other fiat.

Your thoughts? >>

The timing band for gold to start its normal monthly descent is about at hand. And the PTB should take advantage of next week's SOTU Address, FOMC meeting, Treasury Note Auctions, and end of month Options Expiration
    to play some games between Tuesday-Friday. So if they start early tomorrow, same old same old and within the usual window. The fact that gold didn't take out the previous short time high of $1268 and silver is lagging badly
    not even getting back to the $20.40-$20.60 "capping" range ($20.31 today's high) is not a sign of strength. GSR trending higher during this January has been keeping some pressure on gold and lots of pressure on silver. Gold
    might still slither up a bit higher into the $1270's or even $1280's. But by Tuesday afternoon it could be singing a different tune. Some of the miners starting to show topping patterns, some others are still hanging in there near
    the highs. I suspect GDX and GDXJ will lead gold down this time. They led it up by several days. Miners have 22 days into the current cycle peak which is very long for them. Yellen takes over on February 1st so I think they're
    going to ensure the SM doesn't tank before she takes over. And the flip side of that is gold not flying $40-$50 higher all of a sudden. Can't upstage the POTUS or FED next week.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'll be the contrarian. Metals will have a good day, but only because I'm holding DSLV.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Martin Armstrong says that gold won't take off until the 2nd half of 2015 because the Economic Confidence Cycle has flipped but it (economic confidence) won't start it's decline (and gold's possible meteoric rise) until 2015.75.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    didn't the FED kill the cycles?

• Options
    didn't the FED kill the cycles?

I think we'll have to wait until the next cycle to find out.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Oh, ye of little faith. Maybe this is the start of a rally that takes gold to 3500? imageimage
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can predict about gold tomorrow is it's melting point. image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sub $1000 and a roaring stock market before the 2014 mid-term elections. After that...Crystal Ball is holding back. I hate when she does that.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know by how much but I'm planning on 2014 will definitely be a 'plus' year for both gold and silver.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know by how much but I'm planning on 2014 will definitely be a 'plus' year for both gold and silver. >>

Very possible as the expectations for gold and silver have become very negative.

I am a stock market guy and I was watching Union Pacific make a new all time high yesterday.
    Back in Dec 1999, UNP was trading below $22.

The big stocks were Microsoft, Intel, and Cisco. While UNP is up 700%, those tech darlings
    are around half their prices of 14 years ago.

In the long run, the consensus is almost always wrong.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the long run, the consensus is almost always wrong. >>

One of the most accurate statement ever to be posted on this board.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    If my prediction for today holds true, I'm going to make that same prediction every day from now on. Problem solved!image

It appears that the Taper is giving the stock market a hissy fit. Let's see how long Janet can hold out.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    while equities are in the red for the new year, metals are a strong performer for the year. Good insight should an equities crash occur.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, gold is doing well..... still a long day ahead..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    silver at 20.16, time for the big move down

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Jmski sent out an alert yesterday after stock market closed,
    He was advising to be on the lookout for a $25 down move in gold today ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stocks are overbought and metals are oversold, after 2+ years of going in opposite directions. I do not know about today or tomorrow, but for the year, and next year, a bit of regression to the mean toward more long-term historical performance numbers would not be much of a surprise, or take any special insight to correctly predict.

Just as in 2010 and 2011, if you had gains in metals, it was smart to take some profit and build capital reserves and/or diversify, now is an excellent time to trim successful stock positions. I've been raising cash allocation by selling big stock winners for over 6 months and am about to sell additional stocks.. as soon as some of them go up just a liiiitle biiit moooore... image

will be buying more gold and platinum this year with some of the proceeds. I have more bulky silver than I want, and will be looking for an opportunity to lighten up on Ag

Speaking as more of a swing and wave trader and longer term investor, I do not tend to try to micro-time moves or daytrade, leaving that to those more suited

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    My contention is that the pressure to pump more money will win out and the Fed will bump the liquidity injections as soon as they get enough frantic phone calls from their Wall Street friends who are losing money in this market turnaround. The stock market is merely the canary in the coal mine. The real prize is the bond market, and TPTB will do everything possible to keep it from imploding.

The market drop with only a limited "taper" implies massive and continued money creation, and it also implies massive and continued hammering of precious metals until they (TPTB) totally lose control. My observation is that the stock market rally is over unless they inflate again ***soon***. It's that simple. The part about hammering precious metals is just more of the same, and I really did think they'd hammer them today - but they didn't. Clearly, I was wrong about today but the stock market is telling me that I'm right to hold pms.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The part about hammering precious metals is just more of the same, and I really did think they'd hammer them today - but they didn't. Clearly, I was wrong about today but the stock market is telling me that I'm right to hold pms. >>

silver took a nice blow. image

• Options

<< <i>The part about hammering precious metals is just more of the same, and I really did think they'd hammer them today - but they didn't. Clearly, I was wrong about today but the stock market is telling me that I'm right to hold pms. >>

You got the trend right as they hammered silver and did a crush on the gold and silver miners into late morning. GSR did a nice move higher. The fact that gold did a dead cat bounce past the $1268 former high to draw in more suckers doesn't change the operation. One day closer to next week's heavily bearish PM set up with silver and miners already on the run.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Uh oh! The Dow isn't making new all time highs. Man the printing presses!!1!!!1!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    $1270 is a major breaking point for gold.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fightin' fire with fire

I used to so enjoy hearing the predictions and technicals... now If you REALLY want to hear some talking heads... click the link!

Gentleman...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Inasmuch as they both track what's left of "the economy", both silver and platinum fell together. I've noticed for quite awhile now that they seem to have a pretty good correlation with each other, (and with the industrial side of the economy). I'm pretty comfortable with platinum as a proxy for silver, and it's easier to stash in smaller spaces.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>$1270 is a major breaking point for gold. >>

It is when it occurs during NY trading hours. Last time around there was a pretty good resistance band from $1276-$1280. We really have to see this band taken out to open up the way to $1325-$1329.

Even if gold moves silver is not cooperating and acting bearishly. Gold could fly a lot easier if silver were responding.
  • Options

Your thoughts? >>

You need to disassociate your self from that campimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you win a few and you lose a few. Some days it rains.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Expect Gold to pop on Monday. We are seeing a mini meltdown in the 2 1/2 world economies.
  • Options

<< <i>Expect Gold to pop on Monday. We are seeing a mini meltdown in the 2 1/2 world economies. >>

Which way?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You got the trend right as they hammered silver and did a crush on the gold and silver miners into late morning. GSR did a nice move higher. The fact that gold did a dead cat bounce past the $1268 former high to draw in more suckers doesn't change the operation. One day closer to next week's heavily bearish PM set up with silver and miners already on the run. >>

40 cents an ounce is getting hammered?
  • Options

yeah, we get a lot of hyperbole on here. 40 cents is getting "hammered", 0.8% inflation is "hyper", the economy is "dead", the dollar is "collapsing" and America is "toast"

there are many examples, but you get the point. time to "pop" on over for some more coffee before the machine has a "meltdown" image

• Options
    40 cents is getting "hammered", 0.8% inflation is "hyper", the economy is "dead", the dollar is "collapsing" and America is "toast"

Irrespective of the manipulation issue, 40 cents is 2% whether you consider that to be hammered is an opinion; 0.8% inflation is bogus and we know that the real numbers are higher but I haven't seen anyone on this forum claim hyperinflation yet; the economy is "dead" if you're out of a job; the dollar isn't collapsing compared to other currencies but if you don't think unfunded liabilities are a problem, please tell me how the debt question is going to be resolved if not by taxing and cutting benefits (especially in medical); America isn't toast compared to Argentina, Spain or Greece but if you think 47% drawing government freebies is a good thing, just wait until it hits 60%.

There isn't a pill to cure what's happening, Baley. Baleyville continues to shrink, and having the Fed pump currency isn't helping to "do" anything.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    but if you don't think unfunded liabilities are a problem

not sure where you're getting that. of course unfunded liabilities are a problem. obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease are problems. pollution, urban decay, and broken families are problems. they always have been and they always will be, at the tail end of certain bell curves. smart, committed people are working very hard to move those curves and ease those problems, and cynical people continue to complain about their efforts. what else is new? I can't "tell you" about the debt problem, just do my thing and let you do yours for the world, and hope everyone else does what they can, too, to give more than we take.

but if you think 47% drawing government freebies is a good thing, just wait until it hits 60%.

again, why would I think a problem is a good thing? Surely not every cent of government spending is "freebies" for lazy disability cheats, is it? I'm all for reducing spending and cutting fraud and waste, of course, because I pay taxes and want it to go to good causes (of which I think local, state, and federal government does actually do some good spending) and certainly would not claim to know more about any of these issues than experts that work on them at the highest levels. If all legitimate retirees are actually "drawing government freebees" when they take social security and medicare payments (my paycheck deductions) and this demographic is growing because of an aging baby boom toward 60%, that's just "how it goes", what do you want to do, cut 'em off? kill em? seriously, lots of people are going to be retiring in the next decades, we all knew this was coming, so here it's starting, so what? what's there to DO, except your best?

• Options
    Baley, let me answer you in a nutshell. In your own words, legitimacy is the key ingredient. But when you end up working hard your whole life in order to support those who find it easiest to game "the system", then they are not your friends and neither is the system.

This is true on all ends of the socio-political-economic spectrum.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Expect Gold to pop on Monday. We are seeing a mini meltdown in the 2 1/2 world economies. >>

Which way? >>

Upward. When currencies are sliding anywhere in the world, panic gold buying often ensues which more than offsets the effects of the stronger dollar. Whether it is sustainable is another question.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

Upward. When currencies are sliding anywhere in the world, panic gold buying often ensues which more than offsets the effects of the stronger dollar. Whether it is sustainable is another question. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

Upward. When currencies are sliding anywhere in the world, panic gold buying often ensues which more than offsets the effects of the stronger dollar. Whether it is sustainable is another question. >>

image >>

do not underestimate the opposing force. The more reason for gold to take a hit come Monday.

May the force be with us.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

image >>

That would be the logical, and no doubt based on past historical events, best answer. However, PM's are now driven by speculators looking for the best return and as far as I can determine, they ain't back yet. My guess, more of the same narrow trading patterns...vacillating between $18.00 - $22.00 for the near term.
  • Options
    the near term outlook for gold will be determined by stock exchange equity action and by FED response to an emerging market currency crisis, particularly the south american peso. It is more and more evident that past FED action is blowing up international economies.

For your consideration:
    The stock market continues to absorb the inflation being created by the FED. A crash in equities will release inflation.
    The FED will sacrifice dollar value to save a crash in US equities.
    The FED will continue it's currency fight to keep the dollar low.
    Interest rates are not open to FED discussion but further QE is very much on the table and currently a "best option."

"Blowback" is a political term that will very soon be widely recognized in economic circles. I suspect that in the Great Financial Correction the FED has used every tool in the box to postpone for the past five years what is finally upon us. The key indicator will be panic at many levels. This could very well include a hard hit to gold. Cash is fixin' to become the temporary king - the length of its reign will be dermined by the survival rate of it's foreign counterparts.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

image >>

That would be the logical, and no doubt based on past historical events, best answer. However, PM's are now driven by speculators looking for the best return and as far as I can determine, they ain't back yet. My guess, more of the same narrow trading patterns...vacillating between $18.00 - $22.00 for the near term. >>

Gold and Silver are two very different assets in a panic market. Tough for an Indian or Argentine to pack up their life savings in Silver as they are heading out the door.
  • Options

<< <i>40 cents an ounce is getting hammered? >>

Yes....the chart was technically hammered/painted. Silver was knocked under the key $20.00 level (day's low of $19.72)...a little too close to the last low ($19.65) where a close under that would be quite bearish.
    While Friday's close at $19.88 was a save of some sorts, the 3 ema is under the 20 dma. Another 5c to 10c lower (ie a $19.83 or lower close) would have been another nail.
    The weekly close was bearish (ie <$20.11). Silver's weekly candle body engulfed the previous 3 weekly bodies, an even more bearish weekly ending. Daily macd and trix managed bearish crosses
    today for the first time in 7 weeks. Yes, 40c made that difference. Silver needs a move above $20.30 to get bullish again. A move under $19.65 and it tends to lock in the bearish view. Key upper resistance at $20.60.

Sum it all up and 40c was indeed a hammering considering that gold made a higher high Friday ($1272) on day 18 of this cycle as well as a new 9 week high. Silver getting hit ahead of next week's loaded events week is
    not a good thing (silver futures and options expiration next week, FOMC meeting Wed, State the Union address Tuesday, Treasury Auctions Tu-Thurs). Silver lost an rally day on Friday. Now only Monday is left before
    the end of month's bearish-leaning events calendar comes into focus. Could silver rally and break out higher next week? Of course. Anything can happen. I just wouldn't place any money on that bet.

Silver chart

Silver miners were hammered today too. Some nasty red candles here. Look at streamer SLW engulfing the last 4 days following an 8 week rally

SLW rallied up to the 200 dma and consolidated under it. It found resistance at the $23-$24 six month gap zone. Point anf Figure chart shows 50% lower to $11.

Like SLW......SLV has a similar gappy zone from $19.75-$20.5 that is providing similar resistance to silver. Once into that range it can fly right up (ie silver $20.60-$21.25).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

Well, so far your record of market or PM predictions remain a solid 100%.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which way? >>

Well, so far your record of market or PM predictions remain a solid 100%.image >>

I dunno, my market bubble thread was started last Wednesday. image
  • Options

<< <i>$1270 is a major breaking point for gold. >>

foiled again

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    We need some more predictions

I'll start: Gold will drop more on Tues.

Realizing, that almost all short term predictions are contrary indicators, but most of you should know that by now image
  • Options
    Wed's expected announcement of further taper is baking itself into the cake. Failure for taper to widen could create a nice upward spike Wed afternoon.

My guess: $19 silver and $1200 gold sometime between now and noon Wed.

• Options

And today....we know the rest of that story. image

If you thought Friday's silver miner candles were ugly....look at today's. And sure enough, silver took at that $19.65 level.
    I like the way $1250 gold held up today. Silver could reach $19.00 though as it's been the weaker of the pair. Gold is strongest (so far) among the miners and silver.
    I don't think we get back to $1200 gold. There are a pair a "no-trade" zones from $1206-$1213 and $1237-$1247 where prime time NY wasn't part of the previous action.
    And they don't like being left out of the action and stamping it with approval. The latter is a near sure thing by end of the week. Not so sure about $1210ish. SOTUA/FOMC coming to a theater near you.

Silvuh miners
  • Options
    Apple trading down $37 after hours on earnings report.

Edit: Just wanted to see what the Snowman looked like.