Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PQ Approve-- post your PQ Approved coins here!

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been away for a little while, and it has come to my attention that there is a new stickering service in operation, apparently announced in the last week or two, PQ Approved.

In light of my previous thread in December on the issue, I must apologize to the Stupplers for my ill-fated thread. Of course, at the time, there was no public information on the PQ Approved sticker service.

I would also wish them the best of luck with the new service. I think that competition in the market is generally a positive, and I am excited to see how this plays out.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be interesting to watch. Will collectors/dealers now promote their coins as both PQ/CAC approved??? Obviously two are better than one....is this still fourth tier or does it become fifth tier??? From their site it appears they will NOT be approving coins that have what often are considered minting issues (i.e. strike throughs, carbon spots etc) which would put their approved coins at a higher level than other services. Inquiring minds want to know......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Just to cut certain things off before they become an issue, Barry did post on CCE that he will be making a market in PQ approved coins and publishing bids. How high these bids are remains to be seen but this seems not too different than how things were when CAC started. At this point I am neutral on the issue.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will also watch with interest....from the sidelines, but not as an active player. I buy coins raw, in slabs, with and without CAC or PS stickers. As a collector, I see no need to rush out and have my 'keepers' entombed in a particular plastic with assorted embellishments. I will wait until I am ready to sell, and then see what the smart move appears to be. Ain't marketing in this hobby great?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised that this is happening. There's money in it because people will want the sticker. It will bring at least some more money for coins with it I'm sure.

Steve
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting ...

I need to submit my Eagle Eye stickered Indian cent to CAC and then to PQ. It will be the battle of the slab label real estate. image

Best of luck to Barry.

Edited to add ...

With the ubiquitous use of PQ by dealers and collectors and that "PQ" stickers have been put on coins before, it's interesting that Barry and Co. decided to go with "PQ" instead of something unique. I bet there will be an increase in generic "PQ" stickers on coins. At least when something has a CAC sticker, there is no doubt as to the sticker's origin.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it really just competition, or could it be also an addition? I would suppose that a coin that already has a CAC sticker could also be awarded a PQ sticker or vice versa. Then a coin graded MS65+ with a CAC sticker AND a PQ sticker would possibly be worth more than an MS66 with no stickers. The field is too muddied already. Another sticker will just add to the confusion.

Oh where, Oh where, does it all end?image

Bob
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm. Interesting. Looks like they're going all out. Funny it hasn't really been advertised yet.

I checked the cert number of a coin I bought from them in their new cert look-up. Sure enough, there it was. No trumpets or drums, just an "Approved!" message. Nothing shows up in their pop report yet though.

I tend to see competition as a good thing. Without NGC, our host wouldn't have as much incentive to stay on top of the game. It will be fun to see how this plays out. The key to making this relevant is to keep on top of the database and to provide some sort of buyback / market guarantee. Without that, it's just another sticker. Hopefully, at the end of the day, the attention all comes back to the little round thing inside the holder.

I'll tell you one thing though. It's mighty hard to get the sticker off, especially in one piece.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, it will fail because it cannot be copyrighted. The term has been around the hobby forever. Any initial success will be met with knockoffs.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, it will fail because it cannot be copyrighted. The term has been around the hobby forever. Any initial success will be met with knockoffs. >>

PS - SCI can be copyrighted
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never saw this coming......CAC has competition!
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO, it will fail because it cannot be copyrighted. The term has been around the hobby forever. Any initial success will be met with knockoffs. >>

I believe that the sticker design could be copyrighted, but I agree that the "PQ" could not.
  • Options

<< <i>

PS - SCI can be copyrighted >>

I have no idea what you are trying to say
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess he would have to use PQ or something else, I don't think he'd want to use his initials on the sticker (BS). image

PQ approved or BS approved, hmmm. Think PQ has a better ring. I guess we'll see what develops here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have no idea what you are trying to say >>

I think they're referring to the "SCI" in the background of the sticker. While, sure, the sticker design can be copyrighted, I'm not sure that's of major concern to their business. The brand is more about the credibility of the people doing the stickering and supporting the market for the stickered coins as opposed to the name of the company or look of the sticker. I don't think knockoffs would be of any threat as a quick cert look up would determine what's legit.
  • Options
    I think its great for CAC to have competition just like PCGS and NGC.

Kinda like buyers fees have gone down with competition between SB, HA, LM etc.....Wait a min that does fit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have no idea what you are trying to say >>

I think they're referring to the "SCI" in the background of the sticker. While, sure, the sticker design can be copyrighted, I'm not sure that's of major concern to their business. The brand is more about the credibility of the people doing the stickering and supporting the market for the stickered coins as opposed to the name of the company or look of the sticker. I don't think knockoffs would be of any threat as a quick cert look up would determine what's legit. >>

Oh. I thought it was a show on the sci Fi channel - or maybe a poli sci course at college
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting

I didn't notice their responsibility if a problem is discovered later
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would only suggest when the form is filled out there is an acknowledgment it was properly done so.
    As it is, when 'SEND' is clicked a fresh, blank new form appears giving pause that perhaps it was not done correctly the first time.

Otherwise, good luck with this endeavor! The criteria looks extremely strict for successful sticking.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gives a whole new meaning to "STICKER SHOCK"!!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    nice website layout and they even show cac coins that wouldn't get a PQ sticker. This is interesting to see what happens.....
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish them success. But I think PQ is too generic to be copyrighted. Also, as was already mentioned, PQ has been used in this industry for years. As a matter of fact, about 10 years ago, I had custom "PQ!" stickers made and still use them on my inventory coins that I feel are above average for the grade, so there will be too many people with "first use" rights.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amused by all the smarm about Roll Over, Beethoven, um, excuse me...Move Over CAC, fifth tier, ninth wave, etc.

I've known Barry for 30+ years. Great businessman, cares about win/win, former ANA President. His son David was too sharp for Advanced Grading at his first time through Summer Seminar a few years ago.

Translation: this is not a fly-by-night hustle. Clearly limited plan with clear intent to offer customers a credible investment vehicle.

Maybe they like Saints and Lib 20's JA doesn't as well as vice versa They are solid enough to make a solid 2-way market in what they like. They know how to hedge. I don't what their current standards for DMPL or S-Mint Walkers in MS66+ without thumbs might be.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting indeed!
    I'm not familiar with their chief grader. That being said I'm surprised it took this long for a copycat company to enter the scene
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting indeed!
    I'm not familiar with their chief grader. That being said I'm surprised it took this long for a copycat company to enter the scene >>

Um ... do you really think the idea of stickering a subset of certified coins originated with CAC? Sorry, but CAC is a "copycat." CAC just had a broader base of coins.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be very cool, but I also have some concerns over choosing such a ubiquitous name as PQ.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish them success. But I think PQ is too generic to be copyrighted. Also, as was already mentioned, PQ has been used in this industry for years. As a matter of fact, about 10 years ago, I had custom "PQ!" stickers made and still use them on my inventory coins that I feel are above average for the grade, so there will be too many people with "first use" rights.

image >>

It like your stickers. They could represent "PennyLady Quality". image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went through the site a little bit and sincerely hope they own, or at least have permission to use, the six coins used as illustrations for not approved pieces. I don't know if someone would have any legal liability for possibly limiting the liquidity or value of coins by using images on a site without consent or ownership, but I imagine that some folks would find out through the legal system how this might play.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    <<Friday December 06, 2013 10:25 PM

Hello,

There is a thread over at coincommunity - someone found one 7 months ago. Seems dealer Barry Stuppler is sticking the stickers on.

Eric>>

We are talking about the same PQ stickers?

Eric
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sticking to sticky foil stars on my PQ inventory. Trouble is, I hate the taste of the pasty glue backing, so no Stars yet. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw another sticker program at FUN - "Wings" - PCGS needs to make the slabs bigger. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Clearly limited plan with clear intent to offer customers a credible investment vehicle."

This is what I also presumed.

I think that I will wait for the AARP stickers.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be interesting to watch. His stated grading standards seem to mirror my own rather closely. If he adopts the "if in doubt it doesn't get the sticker" standard I suspect he will gain quite a following. He needs to be very strict when applying the stated standards.

I hope he is successful.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw another sticker program at FUN - "Wings" - PCGS needs to make the slabs bigger. image >>

Pretty soon the standard slabs are gonna have to be the size of the ATB puck slabs to be able to provide enough real estate for the various stickers services, magic markers checks, and dealer codes.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's taking it to the next level.

From a marketing perspective, it's really quite ingenious. If I were a dealer, I'd quickly push out a PPQ sticker!
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    This one starting to look like a kids school notebook imageimage
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options

<< <i>This one starting to look like a kids school notebook imageimage >>

Where would the sticker go if this was a SP slab?
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Watching with interest--from the sidelines--on this one. It will take awhile, probably a few years, to see how this one shakes out.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Looking at the site, I found it interesting of the 8 examples shown under "Why PQ", 2 are CAC that did not meet their "PQ" standards.

An example of personal preference and taste that collectors should be able to decide on their own.

Another downside, what would have been a $150 coin has now become a $200 coin because it has a CAC and PQ sticker on its slab.

Dan
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one starting to look like a kids school notebook imageimage >>

CAC already rejects approx 85-95% of the MS65/66 Saints it sees. Don't really see the need to try and increase that rejection rate. And I thought the alphabet soup - ancronymania in coins couldn't get any more confusing.

PQing an already CAC'd saint is not much of a stretch. How about that PCGS MS66+ Saint from a few weeks ago that sparked this initial uproar? As I recall, I didn't think that coin would sticker. And logically, if it could, you'd
    have to be nuts to toss away $500-$1000 by not spending the $25 to make an attempt.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    The nice thing about the PQ sticker is that it's not just solid for the grade:

* Great Eye Appeal!
    * Excellent Strike!
    * Great Mint Luster!
    * No Major Copper Or Carbon Spots!
    * Above Average for the Grade!
    * No Major Mint Defects!
    * No Ugly Toning!
    * A Coin You will Be Proud To Own!

Some people have mentioned that CAC does not always mean eye appealing.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this was announced during a meeting at the FUN show, they said they were only going to sticker gold and silver, not copper - at least for now.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    During a conversation with David Stuppler in 2012, he mentioned to me that they really had no idea what CAC would approve or not. My guess is that their approval rate wasn't all that good, as is the case with most other dealers. Warren Mills on the other hand gets almost all his coins submitted to CAC approved because he is as strict a grader as there is in the industry. CAC had tremendous market acceptance, and its no wonder. When I talk with John Albanese, I am always amazed at his knowledge of coins. The Stupplers right hand man Don may have a sharp eye himself, but gaining market share and acceptability against CAC is a challenging endeavor.

I do take exception to their disdain of copper spots on gold. JA, WM and myself certainly have a different opinion than PQ Approved in this regard.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The nice thing about the PQ sticker is that it's not just solid for the grade:

* Great Eye Appeal!
    * Excellent Strike!
    * Great Mint Luster!
    * No Major Copper Or Carbon Spots!
    * Above Average for the Grade!
    * No Major Mint Defects!
    * No Ugly Toning!
    * A Coin You will Be Proud To Own! >>

A very difficult list to say the least. This essentially means you're looking at the upper 5% of all coins in that grade. In the current vernacular, you'd have to find a coin meeting a minimum of MS65.5 to MS65.6 standards.
    Such a coin should also be starred and CAC'd (or CACable). At least that's my take on all that. Can be dipped though. The "no ugly toning" doesn't mesh well with "great eye appeal." In fact, an average to semi-attractively
    toned coin would not have great eye appeal. You'd probably have to jump right to attractive to beautiful toning to qualify for great eye appeal. Stating "no ugly toning" is superfluous. Same comment for "major spots." All
    of the terms: excellent strike, great mint luster, etc. can have a myriad of meanings, especially with all the variations in strike and luster for certain issues. Some just don't with an excellent strike or with great mint luster. This
    system must be only applicable to nice mint state coins as proofs don't have great mint luster and neither do most coins below MS61. Still comes down to the price though.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sticker scene is getting a little silly.

But that is still ultimately the result of bad coins in graded slabs.

Money talks.

Show me a real 2 way market for cac, pq, or just a solid
    dealers who back their coin sales with stong buybacks.

Not some bs.

I'm watching pq's "market" for their stickered coins ..
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the real question is ... will an ngc graded coin that is cac'd *and* pq'd cross at the same grade? ;-)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw another sticker program at FUN - "Wings" - PCGS needs to make the slabs bigger. image >>

Or make them small so there is no room for extra decoration.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they are stating their standards right up front, rather than speculation for years from all different sources. Whether they stick to these standards will need to play out in time.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous.

There's going to be so many of these 'sticker' companies in the future that the coin will be totally covered up.

It's also a big conflict of interest when a company that is supposed to 'grade' also 'sells'.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I dont believe I will be sending any of my CBH in for this. From what they say on the website (reading between the lines) they do not like the weak strikes, diecracks and other items I look for in a CBH to be considered PQ.

Just another opinion, but it seems to take the old screw press coins out of the picture. Unlesss they only want to sticker the MS64-67 coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file