Home Precious Metals
Options

what is a boxed proof libertad set worth?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was buying some 90% at a we buy gold store today and he had a 2013 proof libertad boxed set in the display case. It looked like a 1 oz. 1/2 oz. 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz in a felt lined box either wood or simulated wood.

Is this a set put together by a 3rd party or do they come that way? He was getting ready to close so I didn't get a chance to inquire about price. I'm not into paying premiums but if I could get it at a good price I'd grab it to flip .

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should be official. I have a set, should come in a nice box with banco de Mexico lettering on it. They do carry a premium, if you can get it for cheap jump all over it. Used to be the only way to get one of the fractionals if memory serves, but I'm not 100% on that.
  • Options
    That should be an official box. I owned a few in the past, those are amazing sets in my opinion.
    Never bought or sold under $130/$150. I feel that they go for more now.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anywhere from $150 to $200 on ebay, with some outliers
  • Options
    I know it sux, but this is the only pic I had online of my box/set. If it looks like this and you can get it cheap buy it.

This is a 2010 set and it has the 1/20 in there. I want to say that was the only way to get the small one back in the day but like I said I'm not 100% on that.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice set...but I would look for a bargain price... $100 or less.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

I'll swing back by there today if possible. I'm almost afraid to bring it into the house . My girlfriend has an unfortunate thing for the number 13 and there are too many 13's in that box. If she sees it I won't be able to flip the damn thing. image I'll wind up making a present of it .

• Options
    If you get it for 50 or 60 I'll double your money.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Was it like this?

eBay Link

Anything under $150 is a good deal, IMO.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

Well I called him up and he was thinking $200 so it will be tough to get a deal on it. He may come down off that but so much for the flip for a profit idea image.

When I first started going there it was easy to get pretty good deals but he's wised up recently
  • Options
    200 is entirely too much, that's more than retail!!
  • Options

<< <i>200 is entirely too much, that's more than retail!! >>

He has a decent amount of foot traffic so he likes putting things like that in the display case. Someone probably will pay him close to that eventually .

On the flashy stuff he is high I bought 90% at 15x face yesterday and I buy a lot of wedding bands a hair back of melt but I've never closed a deal with him on anything in a display case image I don't see this deal happening anywhere near melt where I like to be.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX has the 2013 set available @ $249.99. That's retail....the ebay set is priced slightly higher

APMEX 2013 set
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Dang that seems higher than I thought. I want to say last year they were at 200 at one point that I saw, but I'm obviously libated and very possibly confused this Saturday evening. I got mine from apmex back in the day and it was 129~ish if memory serves.
  • Options
    That apmex set is 2011.