Home Precious Metals

New one to me: 1964 silver nickels

OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's amazing what you find on eBayimage

eBay 1964 silver nickels
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder if he has any of the those pre-65 silver pennies?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either someone who has no clue or a shyster seeking someone who has no clue... Cheers, RickO
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Either someone who has no clue or a shyster seeking someone who has no clue... Cheers, RickO >>

I suspect you are correct since the seller can't even spell nickel...Seller also has a 1911 SILVER NICKLE up for auction. image

1911 silver nickel
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an EBAY account and never have bought or sold there, BUT
    a gut feeling tells me that this is just a matter of confusion & ignorance
    on a relitivley new seller, after all I've seen Ads that buy pennys through
    dollars dated 1964 and before for there silver content and Silver War
    Nickels can be confusing to those that don't know the facts.

Otherwise I would send a message to this seller and in a nice and Constructive
    & Educational way explain the fundementals of PM's in US coinage and maybe
    even provide a link to Coinflation, it would be the right thing to do!!

If after that, they continue to describe there nickels with a silver content that
    are NOT war nickels........I then maybe inclined to think there is frauulent intent.

I can't do that since I have no EBAY account, but I'm sure one of y'all may have
    one, and can help educate a newbie, after all its good fer business image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was working in a coin shop, I had several people over the years bring in 1964 and earlier nickels along with their 1964 and earlier dimes quarters and halves, thinking they were silver too.

I have emailed the seller informing him of the content. Let's see if he pulls it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    One reason that I don't like ebay. They should not let stuff like this happen period.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    One reason that I don't like ebay. They should not let stuff like this happen period

If a buyer is misinformed enough to buy it, the seller should be blamed?

I recall numerous threads on here in the past that it's the BUYERS repsonsibility to "beware." Now all of the sudden, it's the sellers fault? That's a 180 from the concencus that was ranted about on several ocassions here, and if gecko109 was still here, he'd tell you so. image

For the record, I feel any seller is repsonsible for what they are offering to be genuine and represented accurately. In those past debates I spoke of that went on here, I was oneof the few contrarians and argued that it is the sellers responsibility to inform a buyer of what exactly is being offered.

I only post the first sentence I said as being sarcastic to prove my point and to note that the sentiment on here appears to have changed, and fallen in line with what I was saying back then.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago, my boss found out I was a collector as I had some books with me that day. I was meeting a fellow
    collector after work. So, it an awkward discussion he mentioned that he remembered when they pulled the
    silver coins back in the mid sixties.
    image I said that you can still find 1965-1969 40% silver quarters if you look. image

Dang that was a mistake. He pulled every one of those quarters from the cash register and made sure
    I knew that he found them, not me.

bobimage

PS: I hated working for that Barstard.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Years ago, my boss found out I was a collector as I had some books with me that day. I was meeting a fellow
    collector after work. So, it an awkward discussion he mentioned that he remembered when they pulled the
    silver coins back in the mid sixties.
    image I said that you can still find 1965-1969 40% silver quarters if you look. image

Dang that was a mistake. He pulled every one of those quarters from the cash register and made sure
    I knew that he found them, not me.

bobimage

PS: I hated working for that Barstard. >>