Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1910-D IHC

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
And that's when the fight broke out.

The '33 Washington, '64 Frankie, '70 Ike, '64 Peace I get. But this?

Comments

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    He makes nice coins, and that one sure hits the mark. My problem is the cost! I have about 7 of his coins and have paid the price so far. But this guy for $55, I'm not quite sure I can pull the trigger (or $40 for the bulk handled).
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And that's when the fight broke out.

The '33 Washington, '64 Frankie, '70 Ike, '64 Peace I get. But this? >>

My goal is to eventually complete a fantasy-date type set.
    Since the Indian Head Cent mintages never skipped a year from 1859 to 1909 (and some 1858 patterns were also minted), "1910" seemed to be the logical date.

PS: No more than 200 will be produced.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that idea.... a set of fantasy coins.... dang, you had to go and suggest that Dan.... curses.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And that's when the fight broke out.

The '33 Washington, '64 Frankie, '70 Ike, '64 Peace I get. But this? >>

My goal is to eventually complete a fantasy-date type set.
    Since the Indian Head Cent mintages never skipped a year from 1859 to 1909 (and some 1858 patterns were also minted), "1910" seemed to be the logical date.

PS: No more than 200 will be produced. >>

Well let us know when ya break out the new 2014 HTT's image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well thats different. nice but different
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that idea.... a set of fantasy coins.... dang, you had to go and suggest that Dan.... curses.... Cheers, RickO >>

really.... that's going to be painful, and I am sorry I missed the first few (timing of having the money)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    do me a favor and skip the coins that were minted but not released.... image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Dan I am mad at you as I am currently money tight and want one. Don't feel to special though a number of people have made me mad showing me coins I now want lol.

That is very nice looking and I look forward to your future releases. Have you ever hand tooled hobo nics as you have a good eye for detail?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    too realistic that someone could potentially pass them off as real things? what say you all?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>too realistic that someone could potentially pass them off as real things? what say you all? >>

This is one of the never ending arguments.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm predicting the thread goes four pages and sells 114 coins.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>too realistic that someone could potentially pass them off as real things? what say you all? >>

They are real things. Real Indian Head cents, worth a penny anywhere.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a roll @ $20Ea. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoard the fantasy keys.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS: No more than 200 will be produced. >>

-------------------------------------------------------

Dan,

Is 200 the MAX Mintage on all the Fantasy Coins or does it vary?

Thanks, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>Is 200 the MAX Mintage on all the Fantasy Coins or does it vary? >>

It varies. Most are higher (but not by much), some are lower.
    Final mintages can sometimes be cut short due to a number of factors, including:

1) Die failure (the dies really take a pounding when over-striking, and they tend to squash, erode, and/or crack);
    2) Difficulty in producing them (if the amount of work necessary to get the coins to come out right is excessive, I tend to make fewer of them);
    3) Boredom (if I get bored making a coin, I will quit and move on to something else);
    4) Low demand (if sales quantities start to drop off, I'll end the mintage so as to preserve the resale value).
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ambro only 113 more to go for your prediction to come true.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ambro only 113 more to go for your prediction to come true. >>

Less than that image

• Options
    I ordered a couple of these and just got them in the mail. They look pretty cool, but are a much brighter copper color than any IHC I've ever seen... even in the highest of grades. Of course, this one was made this month and doesn't have 100+ years of skin on it either so I'm sure that is a factor. Still pretty cool to have a D mint IHC image

Edited to add that part of the reason I ordered was seeing that the max number of these that were to be made was to be 200. In looking at the website now, it seems that isn't going to be the case as there is a second die state of coins being sold and proof-like coins too. Oh well, would have been cool if my two ordered would have been 1% of the mintage though.

• Options

<< <i>I ordered a couple of these and just got them in the mail. They look pretty cool, but are a much brighter copper color than any IHC I've ever seen... even in the highest of grades. Of course, this one was made this month and doesn't have 100+ years of skin on it either so I'm sure that is a factor. Still pretty cool to have a D mint IHC image

Edited to add that part of the reason I ordered was seeing that the max number of these that were to be made was to be 200. In looking at the website now, it seems that isn't going to be the case as there is a second die state of coins being sold and proof-like coins too. Oh well, would have been cool if my two ordered would have been 1% of the mintage though. >>

Yes, it will take some time to turn red in color. But I can already see that the first ones I struck a week ago are a little bit more red than the ones I struck this week.

The die surfaces eroded in an unsatisfactory way ("Die State A") and so I did some sanding on the dies to smooth them out in an attempt to better replicate the original look ("Die State B"). The proof-like version was an after-thought, but I like the way they came out. I didn't originally intend the two die states ("A" and "B"), but that is the way things often work out in the world of over-striking. After some consideration, 160 is the maximum limit I've decided on for each die finish type. Satin-finsh (Die State A) is already done at 156. Satin finish (Die State B) will probably be less than that by a fair amount.
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Went to order a couple of the 50.00 Indians...they seem to be unavailable...will they be back in stock or is that it????...
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daniel,

why is the die eroding so fast, especially for a small copper cent? I thought the smaller and softer the planchet, the more die life you have, assuming the minting pressure is more or less the same.

Your observation please?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Daniel,

why is the die eroding so fast, especially for a small copper cent? I thought the smaller and softer the planchet, the more die life you have, assuming the minting pressure is more or less the same.

Your observation please? >>

There are several issues involved:

1) The die hardening was not optimal. I'll use a higher temperature next time.
    2) I wasn't getting quite the luster I wanted on the coins, so I wire-brushed the dies a bit. That accelerated the appearance of erosion.
    3) The already-struck Indian-Head Cents are fairly hard from previous work-hardening, so they are more abrasive to the dies than virgin blanks would be.

The smaller and thinner the coin, the harder it is to move metal to the center before over-striking. To get the right luster, there has to be metal in the center which can "flow" out radially.
    I have figured out a better way to do this for the "Die State B" coins.
  • Options
    Daniel how do I determine which die state I received? Mine arrived on the 17th of this month.
    I also noticed the golden color and wondered if the host coin was prepared in some fashion before striking?
    I am fascinated by the quality of the design and the overall production quality of the piece itself which in my opinion is excellent.
  • Options

<< <i>Daniel how do I determine which die state I received? Mine arrived on the 17th of this month.
    I also noticed the golden color and wondered if the host coin was prepared in some fashion before striking?
    I am fascinated by the quality of the design and the overall production quality of the piece itself which in my opinion is excellent. >>

If the insert doesn't say what die state it is, then it is "Die State A".

The coin prep involves some "trade secrets". But suffice to say that all the gunk and tarnish is cleaned off first.
    But no metal is added or removed (other than the incidental amount from the cleaning).
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an email that mine shipped yesterday -getting anxious for tomorrow or Saturdays mail.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered the 1910-D "prooflike" coin a few days ago. I am really looking forward to receiving it. Thinking about sending it to Key Largo for storage so the toning will make it "special".

Updating this post: I just received the 1910-D coin and it is spectacular. If I could get PCGS to grade it I am almost sure it would be PF70. That alone makes it worth the money.

OINK
  • Options
    I am curious to find out who has these?
    Did you buy extra as an investment?
    I only have one for my collection.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased 8 pcs total of the different types as an investment,,,,,,, only problem is that I can't bring myself to part with any of them image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that idea.... a set of fantasy coins.... dang, you had to go and suggest that Dan.... curses.... Cheers, RickO >>

nothing wrong with that one lol
  • Options
    I bought two of these right away when it was announced that no more than 200 of them would be minted. Wanted to make sure I had at least 1% of the total mintage image

I like them and think they came out well, but unfortunately the mintage of these ended up being over 400 coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file