Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw 1794 cent purchase help grade. UPDATE GRADE RESULTS

Just picked this up at my BM. What do you think this would grade? Any variety?

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    Is it genuine? Or Genuine?
    Head of 95 on a 94? That curl is there. This is not my area at all but it looks a bit odd. Some spatial relations etc. seem strange. Others will chime in with way way more knowledge.

Eric

Assuming genuine there will be a variety with that die crack.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like S-70 to me (R2). I can't tell if PCGS would grade it from the photo, but details are commercial VF+. As far as 1794 cents go, it's a nice one.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of meat on those bones, I like it!image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, if genuine that is quite at find at a B&M. Look "VF" from a generic grading perspective, but the early copper guys certainly know better.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine, cleaned, corroded.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has the same exact die break.

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    So is this definitely head of 95? I will post better photos tomorrow.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad at all for a '94......I spent two days looking at large cents at FUN, and apart from the major EAC dealers (and their major prices)
    this coin is about as nice or nicer than any I saw on the bourse. Unless you need it in a holder, I'd keep it raw. PCGS has gotten brutal on early copper. I saw many otherwise nice large cents in fresh genny holders at FUN.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    What does this coin weigh?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.... old copper is great.... I would keep it raw.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    S-70 Head of 95 for sure.

It is probably VF30 details. The red corrosion on the obverse around L in Liberty is a little more than I think PCGS will tolerate. There is also a couple of damaged dentils. WHat is going on with the crossbar of E in Liberty?

Nice coin in any case. Id value it retail around $2000
  • Options
    Grades back. Here is their Secure Plus photo. Not sure why they make it so dark?

Anyways they seemed harsh on this: Genuine - Fine Details (98 - Damage)

BY any chance are they tougher when you send in coins to grade via the free CC Voucher?

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Damage? I don't see anything significant enough that would warrant a damaged holder.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Damage? I don't see anything significant enough that would warrant a damaged holder. >>

I don't either, also even if it was details, should it be a VF details?
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the details do look like a lower range VF. Enjoy it for what it is, not what is on the plastic.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Honestly, if it isn't getting graded from a major collection these days coins like this and submitted by the average collector can be jerked around by the TPG.

We have all experienced this and it's completely unfair. I am seeing more and more signs that PCGS is just getting greedier/more desperate for submissions,
    and they will 'hold collectors' submissions hostage', so to speak, because they play the odds and expect you to re-submit. And I can almost guarantee you
    that with 1 or 2 more submissions this coin gets into a problem-free holder.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Vf20 all day
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the mark over the ear and peripheral indentations are excluded, couldn't this have coded for corrosion?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    vf all the way.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the crater at the base of the 4? It looks like damage in the photo.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the crater at the base of the 4? It looks like damage in the photo. >>

I was about to say the same thing. There is also 1 below the Right Ribbon end on the Rev. Looks like someone started to drill a hole in the coin.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, if it isn't getting graded from a major collection these days coins like this and submitted by the average collector can be jerked around by the TPG.

We have all experienced this and it's completely unfair. I am seeing more and more signs that PCGS is just getting greedier/more desperate for submissions,
    and they will 'hold collectors' submissions hostage', so to speak, because they play the odds and expect you to re-submit. And I can almost guarantee you
    that with 1 or 2 more submissions this coin gets into a problem-free holder. >>

I would be more careful with posting this type of speculation on a site sponsored by the company you are disparaging.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, if it isn't getting graded from a major collection these days coins like this and submitted by the average collector can be jerked around by the TPG. >>

I think it's early copper in general right now....I viewed many, and purchased several, of the Steve Ellsworth Collection coins that were submitted to PCGS, and the grading on those were very tough, and in line with recent submissions of a far lesser known EAC member/collector I do business with. By contrast, I see large cents in green label holders with all sorts of surface issues that would be gennie'd if resubmitted today.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, if it isn't getting graded from a major collection these days coins like this and submitted by the average collector can be jerked around by the TPG. >>

I totally disagree with your assessment. Do you have proof to justify your statement? My last submission was the first for me in nearly two years and it turned out just fine. I do not intend, nor have I ever, to resubmit anything.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, it looks like someone took a tool like a punch or gimlet and made deliberate indentations at around 5-6 on both sides. That being said, I think it's darn nice looking and I wish it were mine!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep...Damaged....

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yep...Damaged..../q]

I agree, thanks for super sizing the picture.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks a bit better than "fine details".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file