Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2014

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    UCLA v. Oregon would have been a top 10 showdown this weekend. Instead it's a battle to stay in the top 25. What else? Upsets?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UCLA and Oregon will both stay in the top 25 as long as it is a close and well played game.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Go Irish! Go Aggies!

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    #9 TCU vs #5 Baylor

USC vs #10 Arizona..........Unranked USC is favored in this game.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Back in the days of the Southwest Conference, I do not ever recall a TCU-Baylor match up when both schools were in the top 10- this really is historic and I hope the game meets the expectations

• Options

<< <i>

USC vs #10 Arizona..........Unranked USC is favored in this game. >>

That's funny. U of A is sort of a strange team. Yes they beat Oregon but they needed a hail mary to beat Cal.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one. I'll be at the Aggie/Bama game, but my heart will be here.

• Options
    ND had more of a game than they expected. Like many teams today their defense didn't show up.

Anybody watch the TCU v. Baylor game? With 27 seconds left Baylor ran a run play. After the play there was still 27 seconds on the clock. Strange.
  • Options
    The Criminoles image

• Options
    I like to see the Mississippi teams at the top of the rankings. Nice to see someone different. I hope one, or both, can stay up there.

Pac 12 is an interesting one. UCLA (rightfully) fell out of the top 25 and the Pac still has 6 teams in the top 25 or 7 in the top 26 if you count UCLA. However, the Pac is (maybe rightfully) way on the outside looking in for the playoffs right now. A lot can change but if the Spartans keep winning I don't see Oregon jumping them. It is sort of a high mediocre conference this year. Not close to the SEC at the top but very solid and deep overall.

SEC has 5 of the top 10. That's impressive.
  • Options
    I think Mississippi State is quite impressive. Regular Miss. is good, EVERYONE else (including my Irish) is quite pedestrian IMHO.

I think the other teams would have to play a great game to beat Miss. St., an above average game to beat Miss., but all the other teams can be had by a run of the mill game from any of the other decent teams on any given Saturday.

One of the great things about college football though is the "best" team doesn't win every game necessarily. A young man's playing level is controlled by their psyche far more so I believe than in professional football (NFL, I do realize some "college" football is actually professional, probably a lot more than we know). Their game can suffer greatly due to a fight with a girlfriend (especially a fake one), worrying because whomever was supposed to write their paper for them didn't, irritation from a tweet or FB post, being abused by their coach, being physically worn out from relations with their tutor, or any number of other things that might get in their minds.

It's great fun to watch 'em tee it up and see what happens. Talk a little noise along the way, but in reality, be grateful every time your favorite team pulls one out, because someone else's favorite team lost in order for that to happen, and look forward to hopefully doing it all over again the next week.

And good, bad, or indifferent, it all comes down to subjective opinions of the playoff committee as to whether or not "your" team, if they've done relatively decently along the way, gets a chance to play for the trophy.

What a sport!!! The greatest of them all IMO.

M
  • Options
    I don't believe Mississippi State has ever been ranked number 1- I suspect Ole Miss climbed to the top back during the days of Johnny Vaught in the early 1960s

• Options
    I'll be at ND-FSU. Go Noles!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be at ND-FSU. Go Noles! >>

I just hope that QB DOESN'T get suspended. From what I've seen so far, I don't think there's much danger in FSU suspending him, I think the only way he doesn't play as far as they are concerned would be if he died, otherwise he'll be right under the center's scrotum (or do they go shotgun the whole time).

If underdog ND wins, I don't want FSU to have the excuse of not having him, unless ND is the one to knock him out due to a football hit.
  • Options

<< <i>

I just hope that QB DOESN'T get suspended. From what I've seen so far, I don't think there's much danger in FSU suspending him, I think the only way he doesn't play as far as they are concerned would be if he died, otherwise he'll be right under the center's scrotum (or do they go shotgun the whole time).

If underdog ND wins, I don't want FSU to have the excuse of not having him, unless ND is the one to knock him out due to a football hit. >>

I agree. You want your team to get the true win. Better for the team and the polls. As for the underdog I am surprised FSU is favored by 12. That seems like a lot.
  • Options

<< <i>

If underdog ND wins, I don't want FSU to have the excuse of not having him, unless ND is the one to knock him out due to a football hit. >>

Given the suspension against Clemson I'm pretty certain some things less severe than death could keep him off the field.

Anyways, it should be a good game and I look forward to watching Folston suit up for ND (from the same area).
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope my Dawgs get this Gurley thing squared away soon. Ridiculous situation.
  • Options
    College football time....
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a little college football joke for you.

You want to know why (insert your least favorite team) doesn't have a football website ?

Answer.....It's because they can't put three W's together.

image >>

We've had WAY too many of those kind of years...like our last two years!!

But not this year. image This year in just a little over a week we get a shot at the Bulldogs, who are currently the top dogs in the country! Hey, we did it before in 2007, why can't we do it again? Maybe make 'em whimper like little puppy dogs image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    A shot at the Bulldogs...

One would immediately think of Georgia, but not this year.

I don't believe Mississippi State has ever made it to the top of the Polls before this year

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    west virginia defeats baylor...again! image
  • Options
    Oh well, my Irish choked up another one. Leading or tied the whole night and then blowing it in the 4th. Should've never come down to the end. Defense stunk the joint up in the 2nd half.

• Options
    Tough loss for the Irish. It was a great game. It looks like FSU is going to go undefeated again.

• Options

<< <i>Oh well, my Irish choked up another one. Leading or tied the whole night and then blowing it in the 4th. Should've never come down to the end. Defense stunk the joint up in the 2nd half. >>

They were right there though. Bummer on that last second call to take back the TD. However, with that "good" loss they could still sneak back into the playoffs if some teams lost. I think ND would still be one of the top 1 loss teams to consider. Good luck.

As a UCLA fan my team can't even stay in the top 25 consistently this year.

• Options
    Quick question: Let's say that Alabama wins out, plays and beats an undefeated Miss St ranked one or two, plays and beats Auburn as a top five team with one loss and Ole Miss goes undefeated (I know, that's a lot of ifs). Would the playoff committee place a non conference winner in the playoff?

AP poll is out and the SEC West has four teams in the top 5 and 5 of the 7 teams in the tops 25.

The strength of the SEC West is going to complicate the playoff picture. Makes their lives difficult but it makes for exciting games every weekend!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    I don't think the committee will select a team over a conference champion. Select teams from different conferences make it more interesting and will draw better ratings.

• Options

<< <i>Quick question: Let's say that Alabama wins out, plays and beats an undefeated Miss St ranked one or two, plays and beats Auburn as a top five team with one loss and Ole Miss goes undefeated (I know, that's a lot of ifs). Would the playoff committee place a non conference winner in the playoff?

AP poll is out and the SEC West has four teams in the top 5 and 5 of the 7 teams in the tops 25.

The strength of the SEC West is going to complicate the playoff picture. Makes their lives difficult but it makes for exciting games every weekend! >>

I believe the BEST teams should play. If that's 4 teams from the same conference then so be it. I am a Pac 12 fan but right now they are on the outside looking in and that's ok. Schedule a harder non-conference schedule and don't lose in conference. Also, for example, the Big 10 is so bad this year that winning that conference means nothing. A team could easily win the Big 10 conference with one loss and beating only 1 ranked team all year. That's not even close to the same as the Big 12, Pac 12 or SEC winners. I have said before, and say it again, but I truly think the Big 10 is on par with the ACC this year. Not every year but this year. As of right now the playoffs should be one ACC team and 3 SEC teams.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree. Identify the four best teams. That's the tournament. If your team is unhappy all four teams come from the same conference find a way to become better than one of them.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Quick question: Let's say that Alabama wins out, plays and beats an undefeated Miss St ranked one or two, plays and beats Auburn as a top five team with one loss and Ole Miss goes undefeated (I know, that's a lot of ifs). Would the playoff committee place a non conference winner in the playoff?

The strength of the SEC West is going to complicate the playoff picture. Makes their lives difficult but it makes for exciting games every weekend! >>

I believe the BEST teams should play. If that's 4 teams from the same conference then so be it. I am a Pac 12 fan but right now they are on the outside looking in and that's ok. Schedule a harder non-conference schedule and don't lose in conference. Also, for example, the Big 10 is so bad this year that winning that conference means nothing. A team could easily win the Big 10 conference with one loss and beating only 1 ranked team all year. That's not even close to the same as the Big 12, Pac 12 or SEC winners. I have said before, and say it again, but I truly think the Big 10 is on par with the ACC this year. Not every year but this year. As of right now the playoffs should be one ACC team and 3 SEC teams. >>

Pac 12 or Big 12 is no where near the sec.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Even though 3 of the best 4 teams in the country may currently reside in the SEC, does anyone here really think the committee will put 3 SEC teams in the tournament? I could see the committee placing two SEC teams in the tournament but to place a third team ahead of Oregon, Notre Dame, or Michigan State seems very unlikely. I think eventually they will get to a 6 or 8 team format just so they can avoid the scenario of leaving a conference champion or deserving 2nd & 3rd place SEC teams out of the playoffs. Plus in future years there is always a chance where a non-power conference champion goes undefeated and has 1 quality win over a non-conference opponent. The committee would essentially have to include a team like that into the playoffs or small schools everywhere will proclaim the system as unfair. So the current system will likely expand with more teams sometime in the future.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

<< <i>Pac 12 or Big 12 is no where near the sec. >>

I agree with you. In my mind it looks like this:

SEC

Pac 12
    Big 12

ACC
    Big 10.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pac 12 or Big 12 is no where near the sec. >>

I agree with you. In my mind it looks like this:

SEC

Pac 12
    Big 12

ACC
    Big 10. >>

Based on what? The pac 12 may be slightly better than the big 10 but not by much. If the Pac 12 is so good than how come they couldn't beat the Big 10 champ in the rose bowl?

• Options

<< <i>Even though 3 of the best 4 teams in the country may currently reside in the SEC, does anyone here really think the committee will put 3 SEC teams in the tournament? I could see the committee placing two SEC teams in the tournament but to place a third team ahead of Oregon, Notre Dame, or Michigan State seems very unlikely. I think eventually they will get to a 6 or 8 team format just so they can avoid the scenario of leaving a conference champion or deserving 2nd & 3rd place SEC teams out of the playoffs. Plus in future years there is always a chance where a non-power conference champion goes undefeated and has 1 quality win over a non-conference opponent. The committee would essentially have to include a team like that into the playoffs or small schools everywhere will proclaim the system as unfair. So the current system will likely expand with more teams sometime in the future. >>

Agreed.

• Options

<< <i>
    Based on what? The pac 12 may be slightly better than the big 10 but not by much. If the Pac 12 is so good than how come they couldn't beat the Big 10 champ in the rose bowl? >>

I get that you like your conference, and that's great, but I think you are taking logic a bit far. Who won the Rose Bowl last year is about as relevant as who won the Ryder Cup.

I base the statement that the Pac 12 is significantly better than the Big 10 primarily based on the eye test on games this year. I have watched many Pac 12 games and several Big 10 games THIS YEAR.

Shoot, I went to three Rose Bowls in the 80's where UCLA beat up on the Big 10. Therefore UCLA dominates the Big 10 forever!

That's ridiculous logic. I am talking about this year. The Pac 12 is significantly better than the Big 10 overall. Top to bottom. In just about any rational comparison I think an unbiased person would say the Pac 12 is better.

A few weeks ago you were posting a lot about the rankings if I remember correctly. So look at those rankings. The Big 10 has 2 or 3 ranked teams. The Pac 12 has 5 or 6 depending on which ranking you look at. Or, like I said above, watch some games to decide who is better.

The Big 10 has one very good team (MSU), one possibly good team (OSU), a couple of decent teams (Wis and NB) and a bunch of horrible teams. I mean HORRIBLE. I have watched two different Iowa games this year and gosh they are bad. However, their schedule lines up so they could play zero ranked teams depending on if Nebraska is still ranked at the end of the season when they play. Thus if Iowa hadn't stumbled twice they realistically should have ended the season with one loss and ended up in a new year's day bowl. However, Iowa is horrible. NB has played one ranked team (and lost). Michigan State played Oregon and got ran out of the building. Go down the list. It's just a bad year for the Big 10.

The Big 10 has a nice history and might be good again in the future. In fact, probably will be if they can bring in good coaches like Ohio State did. However, in the year 2014 they are really down. Ohio State, arguably, would be much better if their QB hadn't gotten injured but these things happen. Heck, BYU would be undefeated if their QB didn't get hurt too. I truly believe the Big 10 is on par with the ACC and the argument could easily be made the ACC is better... this year. That's just reality from the eye test.

Look, I understand the reality is the Big 10 could back into the playoffs and win the whole thing (just ask the Giants and the Royals how that can happen). However, the overall conference is very bad this year regardless.

Watch a few games before you get all defensive about my meaningless opinion. Plus, in the end my opinion, your opinion, and most other's opinion are worth ZERO since none of us get paid for our sports opinions as far as I know.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Based on what? The pac 12 may be slightly better than the big 10 but not by much. If the Pac 12 is so good than how come they couldn't beat the Big 10 champ in the rose bowl? >>

I get that you like your conference, and that's great, but I think you are taking logic a bit far. Who won the Rose Bowl last year is about as relevant as who won the Ryder Cup.

I base the statement that the Pac 12 is significantly better than the Big 10 primarily based on the eye test on games this year. I have watched many Pac 12 games and several Big 10 games THIS YEAR.

Shoot, I went to three Rose Bowls in the 80's where UCLA beat up on the Big 10. Therefore UCLA dominates the Big 10 forever!

That's ridiculous logic. I am talking about this year. The Pac 12 is significantly better than the Big 10 overall. Top to bottom. In just about any rational comparison I think an unbiased person would say the Pac 12 is better.

A few weeks ago you were posting a lot about the rankings if I remember correctly. So look at those rankings. The Big 10 has 2 or 3 ranked teams. The Pac 12 has 5 or 6 depending on which ranking you look at. Or, like I said above, watch some games to decide who is better.

The Big 10 has one very good team (MSU), one possibly good team (OSU), a couple of decent teams (Wis and NB) and a bunch of horrible teams. I mean HORRIBLE. I have watched two different Iowa games this year and gosh they are bad. However, their schedule lines up so they could play zero ranked teams depending on if Nebraska is still ranked at the end of the season when they play. Thus if Iowa hadn't stumbled twice they realistically should have ended the season with one loss and ended up in a new year's day bowl. However, Iowa is horrible. NB has played one ranked team (and lost). Michigan State played Oregon and got ran out of the building. Go down the list. It's just a bad year for the Big 10.

The Big 10 has a nice history and might be good again in the future. In fact, probably will be if they can bring in good coaches like Ohio State did. However, in the year 2014 they are really down. Ohio State, arguably, would be much better if their QB hadn't gotten injured but these things happen. Heck, BYU would be undefeated if their QB didn't get hurt too. I truly believe the Big 10 is on par with the ACC and the argument could easily be made the ACC is better... this year. That's just reality from the eye test.

Look, I understand the reality is the Big 10 could back into the playoffs and win the whole thing (just ask the Giants and the Royals how that can happen). However, the overall conference is very bad this year regardless.

Watch a few games before you get all defensive about my meaningless opinion. Plus, in the end my opinion, your opinion, and most other's opinion are worth ZERO since none of us get paid for our sports opinions as far as I know. >>

I respectfully disagree. Right now I would put the pac 12 ahead of the big 10, but not by a wide margin like you claim. Big 10 has 4 ranked teams, pac 12 has 6. The mich state vs Oregon game was closer than the score. Mich state was ahead in the 3rd quarter and Oregon scored a TD on the last play of the game. Other than Oregon, who else is really that great in the Pac 12?

• Options
    As an Alabama, SEC fan, and a college football fan, this is one of the most exciting season I have had the pleasure of watching. Seems like each weekend has a game of the year type of game. Not sure how it unfolds, but I will enjoy every minute of and scream and yell 'Roll Tide' til I am horse each week!

The SEC West is must see TV this year

Btw, the 2011 Bama/LSU regular season 9-6 Tigers victory was one of the greatest defensive games ever. Some thought it was boring, I thought it was over the top exciting!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i> I respectfully disagree. Right now I would put the pac 12 ahead of the big 10, but not by a wide margin like you claim. Big 10 has 4 ranked teams, pac 12 has 6. The mich state vs Oregon game was closer than the score. Mich state was ahead in the 3rd quarter and Oregon scored a TD on the last play of the game. Other than Oregon, who else is really that great in the Pac 12? >>

We all have an opinion. We can disagree. I don't believe the college football rankings look at just one team. If they did you would be correct that the Big 10 and the Pac 12 are similar. Oregon appears to be the only great team in the Pac and MSU in the Big. Agreed the teams and conferences are equal if you stop there. Apparently that's not how conferences are compared. However, I have found numerous websites, by simple google search, that rank the conferences at this point in the season. It's really not close. These rankings, presumably, are paid professionals so I thus assume you agree their opinion is worth more than mine or yours!?

To me they clearly show the Pac 12 is significantly ahead of the Big 10 and that the ACC is on par with the Big 10 this year; currently. Based on games played and actual results. Wins and losses at the end of the game not the third quarter.

USA TODAY - July

This article from July is a good start (before the games started)
    SEC
    Pac 12
    ACC
    Big 10
    Big 12

SBnation
    Another before the season started:
    SEC
    Pac 12
    ACC
    Big 10
    Big 12

Sagarin
    Clearly shows Pac 12 up with the SEC and the Big Ten down with, and below, the ACC.

SEC West
    Pac 12 south
    Big 12
    SEC East
    Pac 12 north
    ACC Coastal
    Big Ten east
    ACC Atlantic
    Big Ten west

ESPN.com

SEC
    Big 12
    Pac 12
    ACC
    Big 10

CBSsports

As of October 2nd - I don't see more recent on their site

SEC
    Pac 12
    Big 12
    Big 10
    ACC

realtimerpi.com

Last updated - Tue Oct 21 01:20:22 PDT 2014
    SEC
    Pac 12
    Big 12
    Big 10
    ACC

colleyrankings.com

SEC
    Pac 12
    Big 10
    Big 12
    ACC

• Options
    I stated the pac 12 is slightly better than the Big 10 but they are no where near the sec. Sec has 5 teams in the top 10, while the pac 12 only has 1.

• Options

<< <i>I stated the pac 12 is slightly better than the Big 10 but they are no where near the sec. Sec has 5 teams in the top 10, while the pac 12 only has 1. >>

Your general statement is right the SEC (as a whole) is far above the Pac 12. However, as Sagarin shows if you break the conferences up it's really the SEC west that is so incredible. The Pac 12 south, if you break the conferences up, is above the SEC east this year. The SEC west is on it's own planet and brings up the whole SEC as a whole. As for the Big Ten I guess only time will tell if it's fifth or fourth among the power five this year. Long way to go until the end.
  • Options
    Well putting the battle of the conferences aside anybody going to a big game this weekend? One of my clients flew out early this morning for LSU/Ole Miss. That ought to be a fun weekend! When you don't care who wins it's fun either way. I have soccer all weekend so will be "watching" games on my Iphone.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who's going to games this weekend? Where will you be? I'll be at the whiteout against OSU.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Sorry triple post
    What I Collect:

• Options
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>So who's going to games this weekend? Where will you be? I'll be at the whiteout against OSU. >>

Should be a good game. Have fun.

• Options
    T-C-U!
  • Options
    Will be interesting Tuesday night when the opinions of the only people that really matter, the playoff committee, come out.

We might see a repeat of one of the "polls", or might be something totally different. I hope they have something different than the "polls" just to sit back and watch everyone moan and gripe about it. Doesn't really matter much to me one way or the other, as there is a ton of football left, but it makes for interesting thread watching on different boards.

Mike
  • Options
    Mich state should be in top 4 after ole miss losing.