Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2014

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Nearly every (except) one year end ranking had Auburn playing a top 10 schedule, michigan state wasn't in a single one. This isn't difficult. No matter how much you try to prop up the (little) big 10, they simply (a) aren't as talented as the SEC, and (b) don't schedule as tough as the SEC.

As far as me wearing 'SEC glasses' you couldn't be more wrong. I abhor the unending attention the conference gets. But to sit there and just try to defy the numbers like you do is foolish, but keep tilting at those windmills my friend...
  • Options

<< <i>Michigan State had a better argument to be in the national title game than Auburn. And while I'm not an Ohio State fan, the future nonconference scheduling speaks for itself, and probably was done thanks to Urban Meyer. Once he gets his full compliment of players at OSU, they're going to look and play like a SEC team. >>

Indeed.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Nearly every (except) one year end ranking had Auburn playing a top 10 schedule, michigan state wasn't in a single one. >>

I'd like to say that again, to anyone who wants to suggest Auburn didn't pay its dues or wasn't worthy of playing in the title game. They traveled one of the toughest roads to get there, and still managed to run off a 13-1 record.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    USA Today coaches poll released a few days ago. Looks wide open to me. With the playoff it would seem most of the top 15 or so teams have a chance.

LINK to USA Today
  • Options
    Some fun games this weekend. Time to get it on! I had been keeping my eye on Utah State at Tennessee but UT by 6 is not that exciting to me. Hoping UCLA is as good as advertised and covers a big spread at UVA. Anybody going to any games? Any good looking picks from a betting perspective?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's GO DAWGS! Going to a couple of my UGA games. Clemson/SC are tough games to start the year with a fresh QB.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the correction. I am not a U$C fan but I suspect they sleep much better with their loss to Stanford than Michigan fans for losing to a Iaa team. That's a horrible embarrassment no matter how "good" App State was. They shouldn't have even scheduled them. >>

All of what you say is true. It was a horrible embarrassment, especially coming off of the 2006 season where Michigan had started 11-0 and had a great argument for playing in the national championship. Then to come back with nearly every player back and lose to a 1-AA school - thanks to TWO blocked FGs - was just a horrible embarrassment. >>

On any given day.

Well we line up against App St AGAIN this weekend. A no win scenario.

FYI the same season we lost to App St (2007) Michigan drilled Heisman winner Tim Tebow and number 9 Florida in their own backyard.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living the dream - GO HUSKIES
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Go Noles and Go Bulls!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome game in Ireland this morning!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    My Dawgs are going to be tough with a healthy Gurley, Marshall, and Chubb in the backfield.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Big game in Eugene this coming weekend.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>Big game in Eugene this coming weekend. >>

No doubt. I can't believe the spread is Ducks by 11.5 over Michigan State. Seems like a big spread. I like the Ducks to win but think it will be closer than that.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Big game in Eugene this coming weekend. >>

No doubt. I can't believe the spread is Ducks by 11.5 over Michigan State. Seems like a big spread. I like the Ducks to win but think it will be closer than that. >>

Heh. Early in the 3rd it looked like they not only weren't going to cover, but were going to get beat outright. As Corso likes to say, "Not so fast, my friend!"

I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but of course that wasn't true in the 2nd quarter. It really looked like Oregon was going to get rolled by another physical team, just like Stanford two years in a row. This is a huge confidence booster for the Ducks. I think they got physical themselves, and Mariota continued to do what he does. Love that kid.

I feel much better about "our" chances now. I think they'll be much better equipped to play Stanford this year, especially since they'll be playing at Autzen.

The Ducks' motto is "Win the Day".

Consider the day won.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    My little girl is growing up way too fast!!

(leprechaun kinda reminds me of Herbstreit(sp?))

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough weekend for the Big Ten... Looks as if either ND has turned the corner or UM turned over the cliff

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Tough weekend for the Big Ten... Looks as if either ND has turned the corner or UM turned over the cliff >>

UM is 3-7 in their last 10. I give ND credit, but things are looking BAD for Hoke.
  • Options

<< <i>Tough weekend for the Big Ten... Looks as if either ND has turned the corner or UM turned over the cliff >>

Would have been epicly bad for the conference if Nebraska hadn't held off NcNeese State, lol.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope we can pull off a big upset this weekend! How long has it been since we beat Florida anyway?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Big game in South Carolina today. Dawgs always have a tough time up ther vs Spurrier. Our 4 rb attack will hopefully be too much for the cox. GO DAWGS!
  • Options
    Sigh. Seriously. If it's not working 3/4 of the time to start just switch it up and see what time it is.

Very disappointed in UGA today, although I knew it would be tough up there as always and the result isn't a surprise one bit.

I think I will deny the bookstore any alumni t-shirt monies next week at the game.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems Georgia is overrated every year. Much like most sec teams. I don't think there is much difference between the 5 power conferences. Most any team can be beat on a given day.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good game in South Carolina. I think home field was the difference.

The silence in Piscataway was deafening in the end.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>I sure hope we can pull off a big upset this weekend! How long has it been since we beat Florida anyway? >>

Close....
  • Options
    Not much that looks very exciting this weekend. Any upsets you see coming tomorrow?
  • Options

<< <i>Not much that looks very exciting this weekend. Any upsets you see coming tomorrow? >>

Our chance at an upset is next weekend actually...but we'll have some fun with some Commodores in the meantime. After we hopefully beat the 'C@cks next weekend, we'll get to play a Mickey Mouse Club before we take on back-to-back top 25ers.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Lots of good games this weekend. I find one interesting. Stanford is favored at ND. I haven't watched ND but they are much higher ranked and it's at their house. Betting lines are interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of good games this weekend. I find one interesting. Stanford is favored at ND. I haven't watched ND but they are much higher ranked and it's at their house. Betting lines are interesting. >>

I'll be watching Ohio State vs Maryland, Stanford vs ND, and Nebraska vs Michigan State.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebraska vs michigan st wwill be good.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    I think Michigan State will take Nebraska easily. Wild guess.
  • Options

<< <i>Michigan State isn't too happy that Oregon lost to Arizona last night. >>

My prediction, it's going to come down to a one loss Oregon team v. one loss Michigan State for the last playoff spot. Lol. Judging by Arizona's schedule so far I don't think they will end the season in the top 25 so that's a bad loss for Oregon. Zona's schedule has been very soft and they have barely won most of the games according to the scores. I haven't seen them play though. So, having said all that then Michigan State's one loss would be to a better team so the committee takes them over Oregon. LOL! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a one loss Wisconsin team?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>What about a one loss Wisconsin team? >>

Wisconsin has a favorable schedule to win the rest of their games, however they have QB issues. So I don't see them winning out.

• Options
    Great games going right now. Check it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What about a one loss Wisconsin team? >>

Wisconsin has a favorable schedule to win the rest of their games, however they have QB issues. So I don't see them winning out. >>

You were quickly proven correct.
  • Options
    I was rooting for Stanford but great 4th quarter either way.

Now watching Ole Miss beat 'bama.

Now have TCU on.

Great afternoon....
  • Options
    Bummed to see UCLA lose but WOW tons of incredible finishes yesterday all around the country. Really an amazing day of sports all around with the baseball games too.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, what a day!

I would appreciate it if anyone heard why on that 3rd down play, at the end of the Michigan game was ruled NOT a catch. Even after the review.

I would have bet the farm that is was a catch but never heard any explanations. I hate it when I get the feeling that what is obvious to me, isn't obvious to everyone else. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    My prediction of a one loss Michigan State beating out a one loss Oregon for the 4th playoff spot is lining up well at the moment. Lol. I realize a case can be made either way but Oregon's loss isn't looking so bad right now with U of A undefeated (though one was a hail mary win).
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Some Stanford postgame victory steaks. Just win and the rest takes care of itself.

Although they have 5 suspended players (self imposed not NCAA sanctions) including their best DB and WR, the rest of the squad continues to do enough to win.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    How about our Cats? image We still got four straight T25's though coming up it may be awhile before we know for sure if Kentucky is truly "for real" this year image
    WISHLIST