Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is Your area of expertise and may other Members PM you in regards to it?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
It would be kind of cool if we had a kind of 'go to' thread for questions regarding specific areas within our hobby. Now, I know many seasoned collectors/dealers have expressed their areas of interest in the past here, yet these forums have new members joining constantly. Please indulge us and bullet point what it is you collect/study and if you're OK with others turning to you via PMs when a question pops up.

Thanks!

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Type coins
    19th century presidential campaign tokens, medalets and medals
    Half cents by die variety
    Gold dollars
    Civil War tokens
    Political issue Hard Times tokens.
    Colonial and Confederation era coins to an extent, strongest in Massacuhsetts silver.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭
    This actually seems like a good idea. My area of expertise has anything to do with Capped Bust coins...especially quarters and halves.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My area of expertise (altho I do not consider myself an "expert") is in Mint Error Coins.

I do NOT do Double Dies or RPM's so please do not ask me about those areas.

I will tell you what you have, or what I think you have, or tell you that it is out of my area of expertise.

I may not be right 100% of the time but I am fairly sure that I am in the high 90 percentile.

PLEASE NOTE: Please understand that the coin you will show me has a better than 50% chance that is PMD (Post Mint Damage) and be worth only face value.

You are welcome to PM your error coins as one of my goals for 2014 is to step it up as an internet error coin dealer.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade Dollars by hub type and die variety. Anyone looking to get into Trade Dollars feel free to PM. TD variety collectors have approximately doubled over the past year, I think there are like 4 of us now. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My strongest area is US patterns.

I welcome questions, but be reasonable. For example, I had one forum member ask me if another dealer's pattern was a good deal at the price quoted. It wasn't, but I refused to answer because I don't need to alienate the dealer, because it's unreasonable to expect any listed retail price to be "a good deal", and because it would have been easy enough for him to do his own price research. (Unfortunately, the guy did not "get it", and he insisted that it was my responsibility to answer the question.) On the other hand, there are thousands of other questions that I would have been glad to answer.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feuchtwanger 1-cent, by variety

I am a type collector with a fairly good reference library, and I like bust halves and colonials especially, but I would defer to the expertise of others on this board in all areas except the above.

Tom

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Lettered Edge Capped Bust Half Dollars

Digital Microscopes

Web site design

Powdered doughnuts...... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive learned some things about Vermonts and have some decent references. Also an expert on my cats Bongo and Petunia Louise.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancients and computer security - always happy to help!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    My area of expertise, as you might gather from my moniker, is United States half dimes, of all series, and by die marriage. I would be happy to receive any half dime questions forum members might have.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy to help out. Three areas of study are:

US twenty-cent pieces
    Capped Bust half dollars
    Old and oddball slabs and certificates
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    "Expert" is a stretch but I am most familiar with Bust coinage, especially quarters. I am also very familiar with seated quarters, capped halves, capped dimes, early copper (1814 and earlier) and counterstamped coins.

Oh...and I know a fair bit about old PCGS and NGC holders, especially the first years of production.
  • Options
    I know enough about Morgan VAMs to help, but I am not an Expert.

I know Thornheads and 1888-O Morgans very well.

Messydesk is my go to Expert on VAMs. I also discuss my questions with DennisH.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Chemistry related to coinage metals (My Ph.D. and professional expertise are in chemically modified surfaces)
    2. 19th-century U.S. Mint medals
    3. Washingtonia
    4. Numismatic literature
    5. Large cents

There are, however, posters whom I would defer to regarding areas 2-5.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars.
    Morgan dollar VAMs.
    Morgan dollar VAM values.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    indeetlibindeetlib Posts: 607 ✭✭
    -Colonials

-Large Cents

Always happy to answer questions.
  • Options
    Golden Hollywood and TV/theater autographs/authentication/values (saved more than a few folks here some $)
    Cunard Lusitania & Mauretania artifacts/photographs/authentication
    1939 NYWF Kodachrome identification/restoration
    1939 NYWF memorabilia/values
    Various forgery identification
    Design consult

I gotta run - will add more later image

Eric
  • Options
    Certain Eagle reverse Washington quarter varieties.
    Certain Eisenhower dollar varieties.
    Other proof artwork on circulation strikes.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars - far from expert, but I'm gaining. I'm always happy to answer PMs. Helping each other & exchanging information is what this forum is all about.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scottish and English hammered coins and 18th and early 19th century American coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VAM attribution and pitcher-takin'.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this thread!

Mercury Dimes, specifically their varieties!
    I welcome inquiries. image

Currently writing a book on Mercury Dimes and their varieties...due out in a few months. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! 1793 to 1814 Large cents and flowing hair dollars. Also becasue I have made so many mistakes trying to get a coin, any coin in a PCGS holder and failed. I am an expert in knowing if a coin will grade or not with PCGS.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call myself an expert but consider myself to be knowledgeable - Canadian business strike 5c, 10c, 25c and 50c from 1858 through 1967. Always glad to share knowledge....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firearms and shooting....oh, coin related hmmmm...methods of artificial tarnish, general knowledge of Buffs, CC Morgans...other things, but not coin related...imageimage Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of a new thread, PM me concerns and questions with catalog.usmint.gov and 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468) & 1-888-321-MINT (6468) & 1-202-898-MINT (6468)

Regarding PCGS questions and submissions, always call PCGS.

I also try to keep track of counterfeit slabs, save the pictures before they go poof and send them -- or, send me a link ASAP if you can't save the pictures.

Send me a PM and we can meet on the testing forum to learn how to post pictures, just don't ask me how to take a good picture.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 35+ years of specializing in mid-grade circulated capped bust halves I like to think that I've learned a little bit. Any questions about them (especially Overton numbers) are always welcome.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I am willing to share anything I know about GSA dollars.
    I wish I had all of Bryan Sonnier's (GSAGUY) research at my finger tips.
    He was going to write a book on it.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I offer free unsolicited Life advice to my closest PM buddies disregarding that some are beyond hope.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Buffalo nickels (my passion), Lincoln cents (isn't everyone an expert in these?), and of course vintage coin boards! I also know a thing or two about metallurgy and polymer science.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have served in an advisory capacity to principals of both Legend and CAC in the area of quality control.

They both trust my taste.

In sushi. . image

edited to add: After 35 years as a dealer, I know something about most US Federal coinage, but, more importantly, I know what I don't know. And, even more importantly than that, someone else who knows it. One of my previous sig-lines was "Partially blind former world-class grader with friends in low places". . image

I will share almost anything that I don't believe to be the proprietary knowledge of others. Special areas of usefulness to a broad range of Forum members: coin doctoring, conservation, and the games people play, especially at auction, and, as a crack-out guy, the value of knowing how to "work" the grading system. And I've taught grading at ANA Summer Seminar for several years. A few of my students, to my pride, as well as to my chagrin, are now correcting me.

Always open to PM's, even from people who've offended me. I'd rather talk coins than politics/sociology any day, so, to thetwo (or three?) people whom I may have offended, don't let it stop you from asking.

I've already found a previously unknown useful resources on chemicals and metallurgy through this thread. It should definitely be stickied to the top for a week or so, maybe past next weekend after FUN has ended.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have plenty years of buying high and selling low.
    I would offer my help to everyone but those who want to buy cheap and sell high
    may want to stay awayimage

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Bust halves... but you probably already knew that. image

Capped busts, to be specific, although there are members here with much more extensive knowledge in this area than myself, I'll do my my best to assist anyone who might message me. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Silver classic commemoratives and I welcome anyone who wants to PM me about them.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Classic Commems. But I'm by no means an expert.

I've tried to become skilled at researchingon the boards and finding the experts that I would need to talk to regarding my series.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything pennies/cents (U.S.) including penny exonumia.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS samples
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Expertise? Nah, but I do know a thing or two about Franklins.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm good with a screw gun and a calculator image
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    frankly i am amazed at the humility shown here, many like myself aren't comfortable being referred to as an "expert" and equally as many more than willing to wear the hat, i know more than a little but less than an "expert" , my area of interest, seated liberty dimes, quarters, and 19th century contemporary counterfeits
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    I'm a Chef for the last 25 years, with some state colonials thrown in for fun. I may not be an expert on the latter, but I like to help.

Ed
    My passion is copper state colonials.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof and SMS US Coinage from 1950-1970 with a particular emphasis on Cameo and Deep Cameo coins of the era. A few select varieties within the range; but not really an area of emphasis.

Edit to add: I had a number of individuals offer me assistance when I was getting started, and am more than willing to share what I've picked up over the last 3 years as a proof cameo hunter.
  • Options
    Errors and Varieties, especially trail dies, die clashes and die breaks.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMs are welcome- I am more than willing to share my thoughts for what they are worth. While this thread is a terrific idea, I would rather not be classified as having areas of expertise.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Another "not and expert" here...I do have some knowledge and interest in bust coins... Mostly dimes, quarters and halves. If you need a variety attribution etc. I would be happy to help.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>frankly i am amazed at the humility shown here ... >>

Sarcasm?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    This thread should be stickied up at the top somewhere.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread should be stickied up at the top somewhere. >>

I saved it as a favorite.

I pretty much knew who was who but am very impressed with the generosity shown by inviting questions and offering help.

Makes me proud. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barber halves - Circulated.

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file