Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 Baseball HOF Coins

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
So, we are a few months away from the expected release of the Baseball Hall of Fame coins - who thinks they will be a hit? This could be an issue where DEMAND plays a big part in secondary market price.

US Mint Blog expects these to be offered in the "open ordering period" - this hasn't been done with stated mintage maximums before..... especially with the mintage on the $5 gold at 50,000 pieces - if this coin is a big hit with collectors, it wouldn't last long on the site.

Could there be a HH max for the first week? 1,3,5 pieces?

Comments?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not hot
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Gold coins sell at least 38k, with 15k uncirculated
    We will have a few special labels created for this one, maybe a label with some players signature. it will be fun.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I just started a thread on the sports forum asking if anybody there was interested in them so you may want to check that one too.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a gold commem kinda person but isn't 50k for a gold commem a lot? Pardon my ignorance in advance....
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not hot >>

THIS^^^^^. Another very badly designed modern that will sell for melt in the coming years.
  • Options
    There is a potential scenario where this one of a kind gold coin sells out within the time window.
    Look forward to the football hof coin in 2017 (pending at senate now) so hh limit is a possibility for the first couple of weeks.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    750,000 half dollars are authorized

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Specifically the $5 gold at 50,000 max - I believe will sell out
  • Options
    No gold sellout
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not feeling this issue.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sellout or not, MacArthur-P is going to be a strong semi-key representing a notable mintage trough of the series. Marshall star will also be very interesting.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a modern person.
    I'm not a commemorative person.
    I'm not a gold person.
    I'm not even a baseball person.

But you know what, this gimmicky thing has my interest to a certain extent.
    From an error perspective, I bet this design could produce some errors never before seen. I wonder what they would be. Any crazy guesses?
    I'm not sure if I will check this thing out but I want to. The opening of the football coin though might just lead to another gimmicky coin and that could cheapen it.
    The photography of the coin will be an additional challenge. It will also be interesting to see how these are slabbed/graded.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Moderns very much.

I am not very interested in baseball.

I am very excited about this issue. I plan to buy at least two of each coin.

It will be very interesting to see whether the gold sells out and what holders the TPGs come up with.

While I think that this is a neat idea, I very much hope that the Mint does not start making colorized, jeweled, etc. coins like Perth, RCM and others.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>I like Moderns very much.

It will be very interesting to see whether the gold sells out and what holders the TPGs come up with.

While I think that this is a neat idea, I very much hope that the Mint does not start making colorized, jeweled, etc. coins like Perth, RCM and others. >>

Totally agree.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I like Moderns very much.

While I think that this is a neat idea, I very much hope that the Mint does not start making colorized, jeweled, etc. coins like Perth, RCM and others. >>

Totally agree. >>

Or football shaped coins? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Lots of opinions, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

This one will be all about DEMAND - especially the Gold Coin.

Where we know that the demand on US Commem $5's is about 6000-8000 pieces, when you bring in sports collectors - this number gets much bigger.

And I completely agree that Modern $5 Gold Commem collectors number no more than 6,000-8,000. That's it. That's why we will continue to see this level of sales over the next number of issues - and it will affect the ability for the current low mintage 5's to achieve high values on the secondary market.

Everyone will always be waiting for the next king.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hopefully TPG slabs will not have to be thicker to accomadate them.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I don't like the designs. I'd rather think of them as a novelty that will wear off.

Am I right? Is one of the coins curved like a mitt?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like the designs. I'd rather think of them as a novelty that will wear off.

Am I right? Is one of the coins curved like a mitt? >>

They're basically all the same design, with a ball one one side, a glove on the other. From what I understand, the half dollar had some striking problems and won't be as "deep" as the other two. I'm mostly excited about the silver dollar.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The Jackie R coin was also baseball themed, and it hit a mintage low for gold. That being said this design is better than that coin so perhaps it shows some life.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I can't say that these Coins do anything for me. I like Baseball, don't get me wrong, maybe I'm
    just getting tired of all the Mints trickery and marketing BS.

Now if the Mint had offered a Coin for each MLB Team I'd be all excited. I still wouldnt want to
    order anything but it would be lots of fun to follow the standings of each teams coins. image

I'll venture a guess that the Gold will sell 8000. The Silver 60000. No guess about the Clad.OK - Clad 70000.
  • Options
    given the coin is convex like a baseball on one side and concave like a catcher's mitt on the other side, it is a cleaver amd unique design that will be popular. I don't expect any low mintages on this one.

Mint press release with art and specifications

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I think the US mint has fully and completely jumped the shark, there is Fonzie once again, on water skiis and wearing his leather jacket, approaching the ramp..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a few threads on this and I'd estimate 75% here have little/no interest.

I'll say again that I dislike nearly all modern mint products but I'm in on this one.
    They got the design right. I think it's awesome.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO Baseball is not a theme that coin collectors love...I do not know why, but I know that it does not sell well...with that said the curve on the coin is interesting and add greed to the mix the 50,000 gold coins have some life to them...too bad they did so many....would have been exciting if they had placed a 20k limit
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Jackie R coin was also baseball themed, and it hit a mintage low for gold. That being said this design is better than that coin so perhaps it shows some life. >>

When it was announced, I expected Jackie R to do HUGE numbers and that was why I didn't buy one (choke!). In retrospect, I wasn't factoring in that most coin collectors are "rich white guys". This new issue, however, is all-inclusive and I'm guessing will be ordered at a much higher rate. I get tired of the gimmicks from the RCM, Perth Mint, etc… but I really like this design, including the curved dimension. I'm in for all three coins.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I see gold and silver selling out both. Big numbers, but the Marines and Buffalo dollars did those numbers.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get 2 of the Dollar 1 for me and 1 for my grandson
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A novelty...will likely be a short flipping frenzy, however, I doubt there will be long term collector interest beyond the avid baseball fan segment. These are purchased, enjoy a brief period of interest, then put away and mostly forgotten. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Come to think of it , this has Jethro's Home Coin Shopping Network written all over it.

Little old ladies in Tucson gonna be all over this.

Better order often before the Jethro Network buys em all up.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaped like a Bowl. Flip a coin. If it rocks on one side and lays flat on the other, it is not damage. We will have to see how it rolls. image

I'm in.
  • Options

<< <i>The Jackie R coin was also baseball themed, and it hit a mintage low for gold. That being said this design is better than that coin so perhaps it shows some life. >>

Agreed, but we cant compare to those tiny mintages in the 1995-1998 date range -there we far less collectors, the State Quarter program introduced or re-introduced many more collectors to the US Mint offerings, including commems.

Additionally, the US Mint website coming online and making purchases that much easier to make, as well as accepting many more forms of payment, and sales reporting through many publications.

Can anyone remember when you ordered your proof sets by mail, waited months to get them, then they show up un-announced?
  • Options
    Im in. With any luck maybe some errors......
  • Options
    I would say that the services are now thinking of ways to capitalize on labels.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill stick with the classic commems. all the new stuff is a bit much and now theres talk in congress about a football commem. i wish they would take care of the more important things right about now.
  • Options

<< <i>I would say that the services are now thinking of ways to capitalize on labels. >>

Brilliant. Get the team logo of your choice. Have them pay the MLB licencing fee these will be expensive and exclusive.
    It'll be a hit !
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever we have to do to lead a horse to water is fine with me.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Come to think of it , this has Jethro's Home Coin Shopping Network written all over it.

Little old ladies in Tucson gonna be all over this.

Better order often before the Jethro Network buys em all up.

image >>

He ain't gettin' mine--and I don't care how cute his daughter is!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I had to go research just how many Ball Teams are out there now - there are 30 Teams out there. And Jethro would be the
    perfect pitchman to push a complete set of MS70 with the 30 Team Logos.

A truely once in a lifetime can't miss investment opportunity. image
  • Options
    instead of labels, better yet,

Team privy marks!!!!

• Options

<< <i>instead of labels, better yet,

Team privy marks!!!! >>

My God man. Don't be surprised if the US Mint offers you a position when
    that idea reaches them.

This HOF Series would be the hottest most controversial Coinage in history.
    with a choice of 30 privy marks. I think I would even be interested if the privy
    option were available.
  • Options
    interesting stumble upon

VERY light reading... yes... this was a law all by itself: PUBLIC LAW 113–10—MAY 17, 2013

the wording of the law changes descriptions of the diameter of the gold and silver a follows

[113th Congress Public Law 10]
    [From the U.S. Government Printing Office]

[[Page 127 STAT. 445]]

Public Law 113-10
    113th Congress

An Act

To specify the size of the precious-metal blanks that will be used in
    the production of the National Baseball Hall of Fame commemorative
    coins. <<NOTE: May 17, 2013 - [H.R. 1071]>>

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
    United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SIZE OF PRECIOUS-METAL BLANKS.

Section 3(a) of the National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative
    Coin Act (Public Law 112-152) <<NOTE: 31 USC 5112 note.>> is amended--
    (1) in paragraph (1)(B), by striking ``have'' and inserting
    ``be struck on a planchet having a''; and
    (2) in paragraph (2)(B), by striking ``have a'' and
    inserting ``be struck on a planchet having a''.

Approved May 17, 2013.

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY--H.R. 1071:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONGRESSIONAL RECORD, Vol. 159 (2013):
    Apr. 24, considered and passed House.
    May 7, considered and passed Senate.

<all>

============================================================================

original wording:

SEC. 3. COIN SPECIFICATIONS.

(a) Denominations.--In recognition and celebration of the National
    Baseball Hall of Fame, the Secretary of the Treasury (hereafter in this
    Act referred to as the ``Secretary'') shall mint and issue the following
    coins:
    (1) $5 gold coins.--Not more than 50,000 $5 coins, which
    shall--
    (A) weigh 8.359 grams;
    (B) have diameter of 0.850 inches; and
    (C) contain 90 percent gold and 10 percent alloy.
    (2) $1 silver coins.--Not more than 400,000 $1 coins, which
    shall--
    (A) weigh 26.73 grams;
    (B) have a diameter of 1.500 inches; and
    (C) contain 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper.
    (3) Half-dollar clad coins.--Not more than 750,000 half-
    dollar coins which shall--
    (A) weigh 11.34 grams;
    (B) have a diameter of 1.205 inches; and
    (C) be minted to the specifications for half-dollar
    coins contained in section 5112(b) of title 31, United
    States Code.

==============================

mint announced specifications

Specifications

$5 Gold Weight: 8.359 grams nominal
    Composition: 90% gold, 10% alloy
    Mintage Limit: 50,000 across all product options
    Height of Dome: 0.085 inches

$1 Silver Weight: 26.73 grams nominal
    Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper
    Mintage Limit: 400,000 across all product options
    Height of Dome: 0.150 inches

Half-Dollar Clad Weight: 11.34 grams nominal
    Composition: 92% copper, 8% nickel
    Mintage Limit: 750,000 across all product options
    Height of Dome: 0.058 inches

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not feeling this issue. >>

I'm comfortable numb on this one. image
  • Options
    no change in wording for the half dollar?

but it is interesting to note they went to the trouble to say the planchet will be of a certain diameter rather than the coin.

Will the resultant diameter after striking for the gold and silver be smaller than when it started? and why not change the clad, too?

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me...and I love baseball GO BOSOX!....but I can't see these selling 400k of the silver and 750k of the half....
  • Options
    every modern collection needs one

• Options

<< <i>No gold sellout >>

Oh snap! image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No gold sellout >>

Oh snap! image >>

or this one: Not hot image

same author
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No gold sellout >>

Oh snap! image >>

No gold sellout

Surely no forum member with any creds would have made that blanket statement. image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>interesting stumble upon
    VERY light reading... yes... this was a law all by itself: PUBLIC LAW 113–10—MAY 17, 2013
    >>

i'm all for governing of numismatic items and all but WOW.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file