Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is/are you numismatic goal(s) for 2014? END OF THE YEAR UPDATE TIME

I figured somebody else would start this thread. Since no one else did, Here we go again..

My goal is the same as last year. Add one coin a week (52 for the year) to my registry sets.

Silver eagles (MS/PR 69 regular blue labels) Now need 38 of 60 (1986-2011).
Jefferson Nickels PCGS AU58 1938-1964 Now need 52.
Morgan PCGS F12. Now need 74.
New Orleans Mint Date Set (Circulated) Now need 43 to reach 90% completion goal.

Total needed 207 prior to quitting collecting and selling of collections during retirement as needed to fund travel.

Comments

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) Save enough to purchase my first St. Gaudens. (aiming for pcgs 65, maybe CAC)
    2.) Add at least 5 coins to my type set.
    3.) Add at least 2 to my liberty nickel registry.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep collecting coins that catch my notice
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in order of interest but ...

Finish my set of Twenty Cent Pieces - one coin to go

Finish my Charlotte mint type set - one coin to go

Finish my Dahlonega mint type set - one coin to go

Add to my Type 1 Gold Dollar set - ten coins to go

Perhaps expand on my kings and queens of England set - many coins to go

Probably add a few more fairly common Confederate currency type pieces - sort of open ended.

Humbert $50 Gold slug

The Twenty Cent Piece should be the easiest coin to finish, but I've found that the 1875-P coins are harder to locate than I anticipated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to get a "You Suck" award from the numismatic community. I know this a lofty goal. image
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice AU Capped Bust Half Eagle 1807-1812.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find something Awesome in the Vermonts and sell a few coins from past series to pay for it .
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My shopping list:
    1. 1857 Flying Eagle cent with $20 clash marks
    2. 1817 15 stars large cent to upgrade my current one
    3. 1860 Washington Mint Cabinet medal
    4. 1783 Washington-Franklin Sansom medal
    5. Another U.S. coin counterstamped with the Washington-LaFayette medalet
    6. More hardbound Ford catalogs (currently have 13 of the 24 issued)
    7. A complete back file of the JRCS Journal or Colonial Newsletter to complete another set of specialty journals

If I can find the time, I also want to attend the ANA Summer Seminar to take the Doug Winter-David McCarthy gold coins course.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest thing will be to organize and make sense of my library which spans 3 rooms in my home image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have decided to put together a box of twenty for each of my grandchildren. That will be one each year. So by the time the youngest is 18, they will be 2 coins short of a full box. And I hope they study, read, laugh, live and enjoy life like I have most of my life. It's not rocket science, although that certainly looks to help.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Pay off two coins I have on layaway
    Upgrade my bust halves to at least AU/CAC
    I would love to add a 1792 Half disme which would complete my type set, but don't think I could afford it right now.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    My goals:

1. Complete the set of all Buffalos from the 30's in MS. Looking for a nice 30-s in 65.

2. Complete the year set for Buffalos in MS. Need 1918, 1920, and 1921 in 64 or 65.

3. Pick up some more Buffalos I don't have yet or do a few upgrades. MS prefered, but due to pricing on Keys and Semi-Keys I will need to make some compromises.

4. Continue my run of silver proof sets from 1999 - current.

5. Join PCGS collectors club and start submitting some of my raw coins.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here goes, going to try to commit for the review a year from now.. a couple more pre-1828 bust quarter varieties, a pre-1798 silver dollar, and some upgrades to the US type set

I'd also like to start to sell some coins, I have way too many duplicates and other coins that I don't "need" for completion of anything, but are too nice to let go

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Pick some more R5< Overtons image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Add a few more coins to my Kennedy Proof Complete Variety collection.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finish my Mercury Dime Varieties Book within the next couple of months.
    Improve my Mercury Dime Variety collection to include better examples / more top pops and find the varieties I still need. image

And maybe even expand my collection a little beyond Mercs.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step it up a a full time Internet Error Coin Dealer

Hours upon hours of coin photography

Open an ebay store

Launch a new website (my current site only has inventory) which has error coin education and perhaps a blog and links ....

Buy, buy, buy

Sell, sell, sell

Edited to add: go Kayak Fishing a least once a week to keep my sanity .......................
  • Options
    Buy a nice classic head half eagle in a PCGS holder, any date except the 1834 in EF 40 or EF 45.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it nice and slow and get one or two more pieces for my Proof Washington 1936-1942 registry set.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    If silver spikes, I might just dump some of these widgets and buy one really nice piece.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Buy some great coins and tokens at great prices. And enjoy what I have. >>

Circulated Walker Set
    1934s Peace Dollar In OGH
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Be patient.
    2. Build up some cash
    3. Only buy coins that wow me.

Tom

• Options
    End of 2014 update

My goal for 2014 was add one coin a week (52 for the year) to my registry sets.
    --FAIL

Silver eagles (MS/PR 69 regular blue labels) Now need 38 of 60 (1986-2011).
    -------Now need 26, progress of 12
    Jefferson Nickels PCGS AU58 1938-1964 Now need 52.
    -------Now need 50, progress of 2
    Morgan PCGS F12. Now need 74.
    -------Now need 62, progress of 12
    New Orleans Mint Date Set (Circulated) Now need 43 to reach 90% completion goal.
    -------Now need 42, progress of 1

Total progress is 27. Kind of short of 52, my original 2014 goal. Actually, as the year progressed and I needed to prepare
    for possible layoff. I sold eight New Orleans gold coins (four that were Genuine and would never really make me happy, and
    four that were AU and had to high of a premium over melt for me to be comfortable with. At that time, I decided to change my
    focus to attempting to complete the silver portion of the complete New Orleans Date set. Failed there to, but down to needing
    three seated quarters.

Overall, Happy with progress during 2014. May not have met goal, but the goal keeps me focused and progress was made.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came back to collecting in April and slowly built up steam. Much to my own surprise I managed to complete 33% of one series I'm working on (Liberty Seated Half Dimes) including
    a couple of keys. I thought that was quite a bit in that short of a time, but most of the tougher dates are still ahead so the pace will be slowing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I bid on a couple of flowing hair dolllars but did not win one, likewise was not successful in getting any early quarter varieties at what I consider decent prices, so these goals will roll over into 2015, hoping I find something to my liking next year

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here goes, going to try to commit for the review a year from now.. a couple more pre-1828 bust quarter varieties, a pre-1798 silver dollar, and some upgrades to the US type set

I'd also like to start to sell some coins, I have way too many duplicates and other coins that I don't "need" for completion of anything, but are too nice to let go >>

I'm done with selling...almost a two year process.

Goal: 1) Cheap Choice Saints...better dates and mints, 2) 1907 HR Flat Rim (more likely in 2016).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file