Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Cleaned Coins Always NOT Market Acceptable?

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to depend on the coin. I've seen a lot of 18th century coins and some 19th century coins in problem-free plastic, that were obviously cleaned.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned coins are what they are. They are market acceptable as cleaned coins. Some collectors are willing to add cleaned coins to their collections at a discounted price so a market does exist.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Extremely rare coins are an exception.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Absolutes rarely apply absolutely.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Many 19th Century Proofs have been cleaned and are not net graded.
  • Options
    So does one standard apply to normal coins and a separate apply to rarities? Like 1804 dollars that are cleaned and have no problem grade listed on them?
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So does one standard apply to normal coins and a separate apply to rarities? Like 1804 dollars that are cleaned and have no problem grade listed on them? >>

I believe that to be true. Coins are sometimes graded lower to compensate for the cleaning.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked a 1793 Chain Ameri. cent in an upcoming auction that has been cleaned and re-colored. I'd buy it for a price that would equal that of new Cadillac, but I'd be out bid by a wide margin. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many cleaned coins are market acceptable....much depends on the cleaning, the current condition, the rarity and the buyer...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also depends on the cleaning, and the coin.
    It also depends on the definition of Market Acceptable - I will assume you mean, it would slab problem free and command a market price......
    A dipped Unc Morgan or walker will slab....if it's dipped many times, it would likely downgrade or BBag.
    A copper coin dipped even ONCE is generally not market acceptable, as the appearance is unnatural.
    But a gentle cleaning with mineral spirits or acetone is market acceptable on copper.
    A polished coin of any kind is not market acceptable.
    A cleaning that leaves some hairlines is a toss up....it may still slab, but at a lower grade.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a gray area. How badly is the coin cleaned? How desirable is the coin? These factors have to taken into account.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have seen many cleaned common date $5 and $10 liberty's in slabs graded MS65-66. If cleaned coins like these can make it in top tier slabs I think anything can.
  • Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    yes they do all the time, especially if they are old and retoned!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they Author1 acceptable?

Nothing else should matter.
  • Options
    Take this for example why does this get a grade when others like it that aren't rare end up in Gen holders

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

the "market" has a lot of participants. And "always" is kind of absolute.

my answer is "it depends"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...others like it that aren't rare... >>

If they aren't rare, then they aren't like that coin. An Rarity-8 means unique or nearly so (1 - 3 known). With a coin like that, the grade and whether or not it's been cleaned just don't matter much.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    people clean coins all the time with what they call a dip or quick dip. Many people prefer dipped (cleaned) coins because they look similar to when the coin was made; however, I would rather have a coin that wasn't dipped, as many dipped coins lose their look, as they are different than they would have looked when minted. Many dipped coins are washed out, and others lose their flash or original luster. The more a coin is dipped the duller it gets because metal is removed with each dip.

With all that said. The market accepts this as a good thing, while criticizing doctoring coins. In my mind these are the same things.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file