Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A chrome plated Hot Lips??? Really??

Unbelievable..
link
Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff

Comments

• Options
    based on the reverse I'd say it was in a belt buckle.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    And for only $1500 you too can own it! image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would that be worth in blemish/problem free AU condition?

peacockcoins

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks more like scrap silver to me now.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I think maybe $1000 - unless I am behind on my pricing. In that condition - I would pay $100.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just wow. $14.99 for the coin, and $1484.96 for the chrome. such a deal.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller has been trying to move that for a couple of months now. Totally ruined... to the point that even melt may be too high.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    tis a shame. coin would be about 400 if it was original.
    Successful business with: savoyspecial,Cazkaboom,stone,Brol,robkool,nibanny,AUandAG,mdkuom,REALGATOR,jimineez1,theump, indeetlib,mariner67,PlatinumDuck,nags,tlake22,guitarwes

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I just threw up a little.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>tis a shame. coin would be about 400 if it was original. >>

Try about 5X+ your estimate. There are presently only 4 certified Unc examples of '88-O Vam 4.

1 @ MS-60 DMPL
    2 @ MS-61
    1 @ MS-62

I sold a raw AU-55 at least 10 years ago @ $1500.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Almost definitely ex-jewelry. A real shame, too. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost definitely ex-jewelry. A real shame, too. image >>

Ex-jewelry, still looks like current jewelry! Haha. Maybe we can get some rapper to wear this around his neck and increase awareness to Morgan VAMs.
  • Options
    This makes me angry.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ex-jewelry, still looks like current jewelry! Haha. Maybe we can get some rapper to wear this around his neck and increase awareness to Morgan VAMs. >>

Perhaps I'm not picking up on your sarcasm, but what I meant was, it was likely once in a bezel. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ex-jewelry, still looks like current jewelry! Haha. Maybe we can get some rapper to wear this around his neck and increase awareness to Morgan VAMs. >>

Perhaps I'm not picking up on your sarcasm, but what I meant was, it was likely once in a bezel. image >>

Correct. Typically ex-jewelry just has things like bezel marks. The chrome plating, to me at least, still makes it current jewelry. It's hardly a coin at this point.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This makes me angry.

image >>

That is one ugly kitty. Since I'm not a cat fancier, they all sort of look like that to me. Most of the time when they get in my lap the claws come out. My wife says they are "needing" wantever they call it. To me just hurts.

And no, that piece is no longer a coin; it's a piece of jewelry. They should have left it on the belt buckle.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad.... almost certainly a belt buckle coin (could have been something else - but I have seen a lot of Morgans in buckles)...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the belt buckle diagnosis.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose one never sees all there is to see... Or in the alternative wish they had not.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats totally unreal. only on fleebay lol
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was plated before smoeone figured out what it was-most likely before the VAM book appeared. Really, a mare cull in that condition, worth melt.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have a hard time even paying $50 for it. It certainly is probably worth it, but I have three in PCGS XF45 now and about 15 lower than that, and a couple raw. I would like an AU one, but for $1500, I could by a really nice AU55+.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    They aren't that rare. At any given time on Ebay there are usually 150 or so for sale. For me, it's not that big of a deal. The coin wasn't AU to begin with.image
    Becky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file