Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln Cent experts- Question if you please

I just got back grades on a 1972 DDO and I thought it had a good chance at a 66 and maybe (dream on) a 67 because it had a good strike and few contact marks but it did have one or two faint small darker spots on it. It came back a 65 red and I was wondering if any spotting prevents a cent from achieving anything higher than 65. Anyone ever get higher grades with spotting present?
Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

Comments

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Penny lady is busy taking a slow boat to Florida.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very hard to answer your question without a pic, because what you define as faint someone else might see as significant. That said yes I have seen all the way up to low-end 67's that have very faint tone spots and even flyspecks, all depends on where these are on the coin.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Since y'all were nice enough to respond I will try and get it up. Give me a sec.

• << <i>I just got back grades on a 1972 DDO and I thought it had a good chance at a 66 and maybe (dream on) a 67 because it had a good strike and few contact marks but it did have one or two faint small darker spots on it. It came back a 65 red and I was wondering if any spotting prevents a cent from achieving anything higher than 65. Anyone ever get higher grades with spotting present? >>

Just do it.
    Rev

Obv

Well, for some reason I cannot get the single images but if the reverse photo is showing up you can notice the darker spot on the steps.

image[/URL][/IMG]
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baised on the pics she looks correctly graded.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

<< <i>Baised on the pics she looks correctly graded. >>

Thanks, I am a bit surprised but I guess need to recalibrate my eyes. What would you say prevents a 66 here?
  • Here ya go. I see rim damage and marks in the fields.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chatter on the coat

Not close for a 67

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd see the marks on the rim above IGWT to be the primary limiting factor.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice cent. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Beautiful cent. I think what hurt your hopes the worst was the rim damage on top of the obv. Still, at a 65, great coin to have.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff
    I thought it would fall 65 to 67 but I guess that I discount rim dings too much. Thanks for the comments. I keep learning.
  • It is a very nice coin where did you get it.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Just my two cents,,,
    I have one of these in PCGS MS-65R. It is in better condition
    than your images appear.

As others have said the obv. has numerous chatter marks on
    the rim & the devices & a few in the field. There is also a faint
    circular stain at the lips.
    The rev. looks nicer, but has a carbon spot on the steps.
    The coin appears accurately graded & these are hard to find
    in higher grades.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the latter posts, too many nicks to qualify for anything above a 65. Honestly, I've seen lots of 64s that look like this.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fly specks and spots are certainly considered. But the biggest limiting factors with high grade Lincolns are color and luster. Subtract from there for bag hits and spotting...their number, severity and location.

Looks like the '72 DDO was properly graded. Nice coin!
    Lance.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of chatter on the bust...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks properly graded. Too much chatter. Nice coin no matter what!
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Lance on this. I'd say this type of coin needs to be killer (undarkend color and Very flashy) at arms length first to merit a 6 without even putting a loupe to it. Hoping for a 67 is a pipe dream really. Not only do these have to survive intact, they need to be created intact at the mint first and these don't seem to come much better than a 65 really. 65 is a great grade for theses and they look good at this level without breaking the bank

<< <i>It is a very nice coin where did you get it. >>

Thanks. It was an ebay pick up.

<< <i>Just my two cents,,,
    I have one of these in PCGS MS-65R. It is in better condition
    than your images appear.

As others have said the obv. has numerous chatter marks on
    the rim & the devices & a few in the field. There is also a faint
    circular stain at the lips.
    The rev. looks nicer, but has a carbon spot on the steps.
    The coin appears accurately graded & these are hard to find
    in higher grades. >>

I was wondering how much of a hit on the grade you get for small spots but looks like the other things mentioned hurt my grade too. At least I am feeling better about my grade and that it was a good call by PCGS. Now maybe I can save the cost of sending it in again in the hopes that it would do better the second time.image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the Penny lady is busy taking a slow boat to Florida. >>

Although I am definitely looking forward to the FUN show, I would prefer to spend New Year's Eve with my hubby. image

Regarding your coin, as already mentioned, there are too many tiny nicks and dings, especially on the rim and coat, to warrant a higher grade, even if the coin has a great strike and eye appeal. Personally, for copper, spots are more detrimental than tiny bag marks and have more chance of a coin being downgraded in my opinion. But if there are too many nicks and marks like this one, that definitely will keep a coin out of consideration for a higher grade. Hope this helps.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. MS-65. Red is the right grade. The coin has a number of small marks and some toning spots. It is not a superior example.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice MS-65..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file