Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you buy a dateless 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering ... I wouldn't. They are too far gone to be of interest.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    If I found it for melt...yes. I don't think I would pay the going rate for a certified example.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was doing a first year of issue type set on a budget I would.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if cherry picked or doing a low-ball set.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I have no use for coins without any date no matter how scarce it is. But that's just the way I am.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'd try hard to find one with just the '6' showing, even if it meant paying a few bucks more.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd trade a whole roll of Mint State America The Beautiful quarters for one.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to buy on in a PCGS holder. Fair 2 would be a great coin to me.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Whats the point in having one with no date.

Neither would I buy a 1793 Chain cent with worn off date
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I tend to go for the nicest I can afford or save up for, not the low ball stuff.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    If I could afford not to I wouldn't. If I couldn't sure.

I always strive to buy the best I can find that I can afford and those are pricey.
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no

Neither would I buy a 1793 Chain cent with worn off date >>

FULLY AGREE with first part, Wholeheartedly disagree with second. These 2 are completely different animals.

The Chain IS the date ( more or less)!

I've sold tens of thousands face of 90%, never gave a dateless quarter a second look. Power to those that "want them".

But chain cents, no matter how worn, always seem to find a home!

BT&C
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    As a lowball collector, yes.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! I did, a few years back.

Got bored with it after a few years, and sold it for a slight loss.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nor would I buy a 1796/1797 half with no date......image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no

Neither would I buy a 1793 Chain cent with worn off date >>

Probably not on the first.
    Definitely YES, on the second.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .......because that's all one can afford.....you bet!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Yes, it's the only one I need to complete the set and although it wouldn't match the rest of the set, it would fill the spot in the album.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    out of the bargain bin, etc.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ...

I can appreciate a dateless coin -- a dateless chain cent is still a chain cent; a dateless Fugio or plow & landscape VT copper still is what it is, a dateless flowing hair half is still a cool type, etc. I think my trouble with it is that to tell it apart from any other (i.e. a 1917) dateless type 1 SLQ takes magnification. The difference just isn't a big deal.
    mirabela
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a dateless and holed 1916 please. I'd even buy a holed XF 16 SLQ. A holed dateless Chain would be nice also. Just dateless wuld be great. A roll of each PLEASE.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely Not
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Yes, if it was a bargain.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dateless 1916 SLQ in a PCGS or NGC slab would be very easy to sell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I just say no to dateless coins.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

My collecting philosophy is if I can't afford something decent, I would rather have none at all. A dateless 1916 quarter would be of no interest to me at all.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No.

My collecting philosophy is if I can't afford something decent, I would rather have none at all. At dateless 1916 quarter would be of no interest to me at all. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. thats not what i like to with collecting. jmo
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my collection--No

To flip--Yes.
  • Options

<< <i>My collecting philosophy is if I can't afford something decent, I would rather have none at all. >>

This approach to collecting is something that's hard to explain to people trying to sell scarce/rare but ugly coins.

edited to add... on second thought, this one sold for far more than I would have imagined, so I guess you never know.

• Options
    One man's junk is another man's jewel. And that goes for almost basal state, too.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    No. I'd rather not have one than have a dateless one. The only exception would be if it were a cherrypick.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Yes, for the right price, but the demand will always keep the price high. In my opinion, there will always be a high demand for dateless 1916 standing liberty quarters.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the difference between a coin known strictly by the type like the 1793 chain, vs the 16 slq no date, but still I would not buy a coin without a date period.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    If the coin could be proven to be a genuine 1916, I would buy it in a New York minute !!
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My collecting philosophy is if I can't afford something decent, I would rather have none at all. >>

This approach to collecting is something that's hard to explain to people trying to sell scarce/rare but ugly coins.

edited to add... on second thought, this one sold for far more than I would have imagined, so I guess you never know.

image >>

Hey, a 1909S VDB is a 1909S VDB. There are many people that can't afford a better example, so a damaged / lower end example would have plenty of buyers.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have no interest or need for junk silver! image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I have bought 3 or 4.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    If the price were right I sure would.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I would only buy it to resell it to someone who wants it or to make a profit. I'd also buy it for melt, and keep it then!

Steve
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I buy a dateless 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter?

For my own collection? No.
    For a quick flip if I was certain of a profit? Yes.
    For a friend if I knew they wanted/needed one and knew the price was good and they would repay me? Yes.

I learned long ago that everyone has different thoughts on their collecting styles and I am fine with that.
    I learned that, for my own style, the "afford the best grade you can" fits me when talking about lower grade keys....not worth it (to me) to get a very low grade if I can save up/stretch and get something better.
    In this case, if I couldn't afford better, I would go without. Likely one of the reasons I really don't want a SLQ collection.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not.

Nor would I choose to buy an 1822 or 1828 25/50c. quarter with the denomination illegible from wear or damage (but identifiable by other die characteristics).
    Nor a chain cent without a date, nor a 1796 or 1797 half dollar that was missing the date or denomination, etc.

I'd want to be able to see the feature I'm paying for.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Once had a dateless 1794 half dollar. Cool coin.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to find one for melt to go along with my dateless 1853 quarter.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Here is my dateless 1916 AG-3 CAC Approved.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    nope, I want to see the date.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If you study the series, you will appreciate the 1916 as a separate type. The unique characteristics of this coin are so blatantly obvious, that the visibility of the date becomes less important. Naturally, a clear date is more desirable, but what's wrong with reducing one's cost in order to complete the series?
  • Options
    I agree with Bochiman. Took me a long time… and Swampboy, to convince me of certain things, but your post here is spot on, and in alignment with my thinking.

And Yaha says "Everything is okay on his side of the block " (paraphrased). Just as an aside. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see a collector on a budget buying one to complete his SLQ collection especially if it were slabbed and graded by one of the major grading services. I wouldn't buy one since I have no interest in this series and I could easily afford one in a much higher grade. Does anyone know what the slabbed no-date 1916 SLQ's are bringing on eBay?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file