Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are the Doilies back?

Comments

• Options
    Do you have any pictures?

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Photoshopped
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    With that scar in the sun you would think that is not a 70. Also, the hot stamped tag on the back looks too new to be an old holder. Did PCGS offer a doily after the originals?

here is the link to the Heritage auction.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131353&lotNo=28233

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With that scar in the sun you would think that is not a 70. Also, the hot stamped tag on the back looks too new to be an old holder. Did PCGS offer a doily after the originals?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131353&lotNo=28233 >>

That looks pretty cool. Can you still get those inserts?
  • Options
    My guess is they're bringing them back kind of as a nostalgia thing like NGC did with the retro black holders last year.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    link to heritage 2006-w

I wish someone from Pcgs could comment on this.

Certainly does not compare well to the known doilies.

Perhaps post these two in the doily holders census thread, nor the date range for the one.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is they're bringing them back kind of as a nostalgia thing like NGC did with the retro black holders last year. >>

Looks like only the insert/label is being reborn. The slab and serial number look to be current issue.
  • Options

<< <i>With that scar in the sun you would think that is not a 70. Also, the hot stamped tag on the back looks too new to be an old holder. Did PCGS offer a doily after the originals?

That a scar or just lint?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Looks like lint. I agree with that.
    2) Not a thread so much about the grade...but rather about the insert. I agree with that.
    3) Looks recent. I agree with that.
    4) If it is, my guess is it is "dealer only" image, right now.
    5) Would be nice if notice was given to folks in advance and not just showing up. Makes people wonder about certain folks getting secret info ahead of others (kind of like when the pucks first went on sale and certain folks got the goodies first). Even if collectors can't request it, let us all know it is coming. Doilies are too popular NOT to do that.
    6) What could happen to doily prices if it is redone? Did anything happen to NGC black insert prices (up or down) when they were redone "retro-style"?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>6) What could happen to doily prices if it is redone? Did anything happen to NGC black insert prices (up or down) when they were redone "retro-style"? >>

Doily premiums have slipped in the last year or so, at least on the common stuff. Don't know if Black NGC holders were affected by the retro holders.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (6) What could happen to doily prices if it is redone? Did anything happen to NGC black insert prices (up or down) when they were redone "retro-style"? >>

Doily premiums have slipped in the last year or so, at least on the common stuff. Don't know if Black NGC holders were affected by the retro holders.

I don't think the retro slabs affect the vintage slab prices one bit. The one piece Doily is easily differentiated from the older model.

Doily prices have slipped for the common Morgans - the tougher type coins still go for strong money.

The biggest hassle is when dealers and auction houses (HA particularly) call out the NEW labels as "NGC Black" and "Doily" - now that is a major PITA. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

NFL playoffs now . . I'll do some checking . .

Drunner
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, If PCGS is bringing back the doily label, it is just a gimmick to try and bring in more money to the TPG. Just like the NGC black retro holder. I kinda like the Black NGC on certain coins, but if I'm not mistaken, the reason people collect doilies is because they were not used for very long. Not because people prefer the design. Swing and a miss. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there were no DCAMs in that era?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>link to heritage 2006-w

I wish someone from Pcgs could comment on this.

Certainly does not compare well to the known doilies.

Perhaps post these two in the doily holders census thread, nor the date range for the one. >>

Actually, no, no comment by PCGS is needed.

And NO, don't post them in the Doilies Census thread since they are not REAL Doily Slabs.

An authentic Doily Slab is a two piece slab consisting of the old rattler slab with a plastic collar around it. The company logo appears on the lower right obverse of the collar.

I'll expect to see a butt-load of these in the near future which will probably have an affect on collectors of the Doily Slabs.

Check out Conder101's original thread
    HERE.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

That a scar or just lint? >>

Lint or not, the coin appears to have a milk spot between the B and E at 11:30.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>6) What could happen to doily prices if it is redone? Did anything happen to NGC black insert prices (up or down) when they were redone "retro-style"? >>

Doily premiums have slipped in the last year or so, at least on the common stuff. Don't know if Black NGC holders were affected by the retro holders. >>

Well, I'm of the opinion that any doily "premiums" are the direct result of this forum. Dealers certainly do not care.

I just cannot get over the "why" that PCGS felt for doing this?

Do they really have to try that hard to keep up with NGC?

What next? Regency Holders? Maybe retro rattlers? Limey Inserts for the right price?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I thought there were no DCAMs in that era? >>

It's a dealer requested and paid for label, recently graded, and probably the first of many to come down the pike.

Gotta keep up with NGC.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought there were no DCAMs in that era? >>

It's a dealer requested and paid for label, recently graded, and probably the first of many to come down the pike.

Gotta keep up with NGC. >>

the reason for posting to the doily census thread was not to get them included in the census.

the purpose was to get the doily collector's attention, because they "need to know about this." (I see drunner is on it now)

need to know what?

either these are new labels from pcgs or not. people are probably assuming correctly pcgs authorized and made them, but it is still an assumption. perhaps those doily collectors would be more inclined and more able to find out if they are legit or not.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I'm sort of disappointed to see these being offered in auctions before they are even mentioned to us loyal Platinum Collector's Club members... not the first time certain submitters get things first though. I just hope they will eventually be offered to all who want them and not remain exclusive to those who have connections.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting... I'm sort of disappointed to see these being offered in auctions before they are even mentioned to us loyal Platinum Collector's Club members... not the first time certain submitters get things first though. I just hope they will eventually be offered to all who want them and not remain exclusive to those who have connections. >>

It might be time to get some connections....
  • Options
    When a certain company ATS re-introduced the black slabs there was a press release about it all prior to them hitting the market. Maybe PCGS just did a few but plans to do the official announcement / details at FUN?
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like it if PCGS offered a variety of customizable options to beautiful your Polyethylene experience.

Variety of colored/doiled inserts, maybe a symbol to represent a tru-view if wanted, the option for ring or prong...

Lets face it, when you have holders that can be customized by only the big boys only, you are closing out the common man from participating/ point in case

I would submit and re submit any large gold coins to get them in ring holders with green labels. Why you say? because they mimic OGHs and I want a premium on my coins??

No. Because I like the contrasting appearance of green on Gold.

And no I would not see this as Keeping up with any TPG entity, just a way that the average joe coin guy and affluent collector could become more enthralled in thier collection, indeed making it more of their own.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Lol... but seriously, the pic milkcoin posted of the 2006 W silver Eagle is a Chinese Fake Slab and All. I just love the spray on cameo, (don't you?) The link to HA auction 1989 S 70 Dcam is a very nice modern.
  • Options

<< <i>Lol... but seriously, the pic milkcoin posted of the 2006 W silver Eagle is a Chinese Fake Slab and All. I just love the spray on cameo, (don't you?) The link to HA auction 1989 S 70 Dcam is a very nice modern. >>

The coins seem legit at first glance

The labels on both are not old doilies for reasons already mentioned.

What do you mean by spray on frosting? They fake proofs, too.

• Options
    I was tracking this "Doily" on HA 1986-S $1 Silver Eagle PR70 Deep Cameo PCGS
  • Options

<< <i>I was tracking this "Doily" on HA 1986-S $1 Silver Eagle PR70 Deep Cameo PCGS >>

This and a 1986-S coin cert # 28667783 both sold at Heritage for the same amount $364.25 Both cert numbers as well as the one for the 2006-W check out in the cert number lookup.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that we've seen these out in the wild... where can I purchase mine?!

I want one!

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Now that we've seen these out in the wild... where can I purchase mine?!

I want one! >>

You had yer chance bud!

Last Night!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I want one! >>

You had yer chance bud!

Last Night! >>

Never has your Avatar been more apropos!

peacockcoins

• Options
  • Options
    Been following this thread. Are the two "dollys" auctioned be heritage legit? It bothers me to think Heritage would pass along something counterfit especially something like this that stands out. I dont see how this if a counterfit holder would pass by them.
  • Options

<< <i>Been following this thread. Are the two "dollys" auctioned be heritage legit? It bothers me to think Heritage would pass along something counterfit especially something like this that stands out. I dont see how this if a counterfit holder would pass by them. >>

Well here is a 2013-W Doily on HA, from Sampleslabs.com they were made from August of 1989 through January of 1990
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Been following this thread. Are the two "dollys" auctioned be heritage legit? It bothers me to think Heritage would pass along something counterfit especially something like this that stands out. I dont see how this if a counterfit holder would pass by them. >>

Well here is a 2013-W Doily fon HA, from Sampleslabs.com they were made from August of 1989 through January of 1990 >>

I think that time frame includes all 4 of the various "double holder-outer ring" versions and not just the doilies.
  • Options
    Considering how Heritage sells graded coins from three companies they should recognize this doesnt look right. Also the grading companies would have have an interest in stopping blatent counterfit slabs from being sold on such a large public platform.

Its a shame. I have a few coins that would look cool in this holder and would have submitted them if this retro design was being reintroduced.
  • Options

I want one! >>

Be patient, there is a chitload up for auction on Heritage now.
  • Options
    ^
    <stomps foot>
    Well, OK then.

peacockcoins

• Options
    More retro doilies on HA

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    I like them , I hope they are the new scratch resist
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify as I saw a whole bunch of these at the heritage table while at the FUN show. They had at least 15-20 coins. More will be coming out soon...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Why no press release from PCGS? Why no mention of them at FUN? It was also mentioned that there would be announcements in regards to the forum I believe but nothing has been said on here or at FUN. image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    doily market gonna crash!
    A retro regency will be next I bet image jk
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    BOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe retro rattlers are next.image
  • Options
    I was watching a few of the new Dilly Holders on Ebay and they were pulled. Are these legit or not?
  • Options
    They are legit! I talked to Miguel at PCGS. He informed me that these were part of a Bulk Submission for ONE AUTHORIZED DEALER! That one dealer got the monopoly on these and was therefore allowed to make a good bit of money from these. These are not available to anyone else submitting to PCGS even if it is a bulk order. Miguel was unable to tell me who the ONE AUTHORIZED DEALER was. He was also unable to tell me the exact dates these were first produced or if they were still being done for this one dealer. He said he would call me back to let me know if he could share any additional information but I have yet to hear from him.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are legit! I talked to Miguel at PCGS. He informed me that these were part of a Bulk Submission for ONE AUTHORIZED DEALER! That one dealer got the monopoly on these and was therefore allowed to make a good bit of money from these. These are not available to anyone else submitting to PCGS even if it is a bulk order. Miguel was unable to tell me who the ONE AUTHORIZED DEALER was. He was also unable to tell me the exact dates these were first produced or if they were still being done for this one dealer. He said he would call me back to let me know if he could share any additional information but I have yet to hear from him. >>

The authorized dealer I believe is heritage
    may the fonz be with you...always...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file