Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is your "what could have been" athlete

Who would be your one athlete in history that got injured sometime in their career and kept them from being even bigger and better then they already were?
I would have to go with Bobby Orr. Regarded by many as the greatest hockey player ever and did it on bad knees from the start.

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson could have been the greatest running back ever

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Great pic Mike!

Where was that done?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I saw him play both sports. His numbers were pretty decent as a baseball player and could have been better with time, but as a football player he was up there with the best. I only put him in Barry Sanders company as a running back, the difference being that Barry went around people and Bo went through people. Both a pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Bo Jackson. More yards per carry in his career than Jim Brown.

Edited to add - Sandy Koufax - that guy was at the top of the game when he quit at age 30 for arthritis. If he pitched in 1968, he might have had an ERA half of Bob Gibson's that year.

And Sidd Finch.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Marcus Dupree. Check out the 30 for 30 documentary done by ESPN.

honorable mentions: Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>I saw him play both sports. His numbers were pretty decent as a baseball player and could have been better with time, but as a football player he was up there with the best. I only put him in Barry Sanders company as a running back, the difference being that Barry went around people and Bo went through people. Both a pleasure to watch. >>

I couldn't have said it any better. Without injury Bo would've gone down in history as the greatest athlete ever in a class all to his own. He still gets mentioned in the class with that contains the other "best" athletes, but a longer career would've given him distance away from everyone else.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that Bo's true and most impressive talent was at tailback on the football field. He was a very talented baseball player, too, but struck out way too much (more than once every 3 ABs) to be considered great in that sport, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Mine is definitely Grant Hill, guy was an amazing all around player before all of the ankle surgeries.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Dave Rozema

One karate kick away from greatness??
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Michael Jordan - If he didnt spend all that time in basketball he couldve pursued his baseball career at an earlier age.
    Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron? Move over.

I put Tiger Woods up there, since his divorce, the legacy couldve been unrivaled in his accomplishments.

On a more serious note, Bo Jackson might be hands down the "could have been" athlete of the century.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without question I would say Ken Griffey Jr. If healthy in his 30's, "The Kid" would hold the HR record, RBI record and RUNS record. And he did it legit. Close second for me is Bo Jackson followed by Orr and Mantle.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson, football only and with no injury. The Raiders most likely wouldn't be 30 + years removed from their last Super Bowl win if he only played football. Amazing to think but the Raiders have not had an on field, game break it at anytime presence like that since Bo.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the majority of responses....Bo.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Without a doubt Bo Jackson. Oh what could have been.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the 1980 Oakland A's starting 5.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, it's easily Bo Jackson.

Another one who people don't think about since he made it to the HOF anyway, is Bill Walton. If he hadn't had to deal with plantar fasciitis, and had two good ankles, there's no telling what he could've done!

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Bo Jackson. More yards per carry in his career than Jim Brown.

Edited to add - Sandy Koufax - that guy was at the top of the game when he quit at age 30 for arthritis. If he pitched in 1968, he might have had an ERA half of Bob Gibson's that year.

And Sidd Finch. >>

Def Sidd! So much potential.

I'd have to go with Bo and Griffey jr. No one going to say Len Bias?
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bo Jackson. More yards per carry in his career than Jim Brown.

And Sidd Finch. >>

Def Sidd! So much potential.

I'd have to go with Bo and Griffey jr. No one going to say Len Bias? >>

Tar Heel fan here. He was a one man gang in 1986 at the Dean Dome for Maryland. Almost single-handedly willing Maryland over UNC that night. Nightmares for me after that one. Would have been interesting to see him with Bird, McHale, Parrish, etc.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marcus Dupree >>

+1

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Len Bias also comes to mind.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <-------
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    It's a name many won't recognize, but:

John O'Brien

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Maurice Stokes.
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Pete Reiser, former Brooklyn Dodger. Could have been an all time great if not for injury. Do some reading on him.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JR Richard, I disagree. He was already 30 when he had his heart attack. He was a career 108 ERA+ guy. I'm not sure there were a lot of great seasons missed there.

I'm gonna go with Bo, Herb Score, Marcus Dupree, and Robert Edwards.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    My choices:

MLB: Hitter - Mickey Mantle (had he had healthy knees), Pitcher - Herb Score
    NFL: Gale Sayers (see Mickey Mantle)
    NBA: Maurice Stokes
    NHL: Bobby Orr (see Mickey Mantle)
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Luis Polonia...
    if he just would of had his head in the game and would of stayed away from the "girls". If he would of just tried.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    rob gronkowski

his career may not be over , but I think there was a lot of left behind after becoming injury prone
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JR Richard, I disagree. He was already 30 when he had his heart attack. He was a career 108 ERA+ guy. I'm not sure there were a lot of great seasons missed there. >>

I'll concede the age part, but not that last sentence. He was at the zenith of his career when he suffered a stroke.

Also, Penny Hardaway.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Bo is the easy and obvious choice, so I will go elsewhere:

Kerry Wood.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Marcus Dupree. Check out the 30 for 30 documentary done by ESPN.

honorable mentions: Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle

<< <i>

Great show. Dupree was unreal.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson #1 followed by Gayle Sayers and Marcus Dupree.

For Baseball, how about Mark Prior? He was pretty good until he started getting hurt every other day, maybe not one of the best but could have been great.
  • Options
    Does drug addiction qualify as an injury?

• Options
    J.R. Richard

Bjorn Borg
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Derrick Rose
    Sean Taylor
    Len Bias
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Billy Sims.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Tim Tebow
    Jeremy Lin
    Phil Plantier
    Kevin Maas
    Sam Bowie
    Sihugo Green
    JR Reid
    Andrew Bogut
    Scott May
    Sean May
    Jason Williams
    Joe Delaney
    Denny McLain
    Brian Taylor

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Basketball - Len Bias, Bill Walton
    Hockey - Bobby Orr
    Baseball - Lou Gehrig
    Football - RG3, Randy Moss
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    First person I thought of was Bo, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Clemente.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    David Clyde, a high school phenom who signed with the Texas Rangers back in 1973. If the team hadn't been so money hungry and exploitative, and treated him like the valuable commodity that he was, he could have been great.
  • Options
    1. Mark "The Bird Fidrych"
    2. Barry Sanders = how many yards could he have ended up with?
    3. Doc Gooden/Darryl Strawberry (kinda 2 sides of the same coin)
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>rob gronkowski

his career may not be over , but I think there was a lot of left behind after becoming injury prone >>

On that note: Aaron Hernandez
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr. for sure. Without injuries, he would be considered one of the top 5 players of all time.

Honorable Mention- Sean Taylor. He was killed early in his career. In his short career, he showed that he had the potential to be one of the great safeties of all time. Tragedy that he wasnt given the chance to show his talents for a longer period of time. He was a monster on the football field. Great ball instincts and one of the hardest hitters I have ever watched play the game.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Even though he is already considered one of the all-time greats, I'll throw in Lou Gehrig.

He lost his life to ALS at age 37, and the disease began crippling him a few years before that, of course. As good as his stats were, he could've put up numbers that still may be considered out of reach.

In my lifetime though, like most of you, it's Bo Jackson.
  • Options
    Surprised no one mentioned Donny Baseball or Thurman Munson
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Karl Spooner & Pete Rieser Brooklyn Dodgers
    Bo Jackson.Nick Eddy former Notre dame great who was injured early in his professional career and never played again.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Bench has to at least be mentioned. His power numbers declined after his surgery for a growth on his lung between the 72 and 73 seasons.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>JR Richard, I disagree. He was already 30 when he had his heart attack. He was a career 108 ERA+ guy. I'm not sure there were a lot of great seasons missed there. >>

I'll concede the age part, but not that last sentence. He was at the zenith of his career when he suffered a stroke.

Also, Penny Hardaway. >>

JR Richard WAS just coming into his own...all you have to do is look at the indicators, in his last two/three years his SO/BB ratio, and BB/9IP ratio both took big jumps from his previous career norms, and those are good indicators of a pitcher 'getting it'. Those are also his two best ERA+ years.(he was age 29, and 30 his last two years).

Age of 30 is not bad at all for a pitcher. Another big strikeout pitcher, with poor control early on, that didn't put it together until age 29(the first year he saw a marked jump in his SO/BB ratio), his name was Randy Johnson image.

Looking at the above explanation, that leads to the one player that we really did miss out on...and his name was Sandy Koufax image

Koufax similarly had to find himself...thrust into the bigs by age 19, he found himself by age 25, then we all know what he did next. But he was then done by age 30(at the top of his game)!!

Rumor has it, that in Dodgers practice before the 1977 World Series, that Koufax threw some batting practice...and was breaking bats image Koufax was only 42 at that time, and he still had heat. It is very realistic, looking at how good he was, and how other similar good pitchers made it to the 40's(and were still good), to think what really could have been with him.

Imagine Koufax getting all the way up to having '77 and '78 Topps cards! image