Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

thoughts on 1907 $10 Indian

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
recently got this 1907 no motto eagle, what are your feelings about the coin and is it a keeper? (about what grade does it appear)

imageimage

I've been wanting one of these for some time, liking the uncluttered legend without IGWT, appreciate your opinions, thanks

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The color and luster look pretty good. The surfaces appear a bit grainy in the images, perhaps one of those satin proofs? image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A $10 gold indian is on my list of would like to have also. This seems to be a nice AU without alot of heavy bagmarks.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive coin and one of my favorite designs. There appears to be rub on the eagle's shoulder so it may be an AU58 but it has very clean surfaces and no wear in the fields so it more likely got a MS63 grade or higher. This one is definitely a keeper.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice color, AU50.
  • Options

<< <i>Very attractive coin and one of my favorite designs. There appears to be rub on the eagle's shoulder so it may be an AU58 but it has very clean surfaces and no wear in the fields so it more likely got a MS63 grade or higher. This one is definitely a keeper.image >>

+1
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful uncluttered coin. Slight wear, I am going AU55.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Indian.... picture grading would put it from 58 to 62 IMO.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    nice Indian.....I would venture au55-au58
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade this coin as an AU-55. It has nice color and surfaces. These coins were softly struck, especially in the center of the obverse. For that reason the grading service grades can be all over the map. I have one in an NGC MS-62 holder that I would grade at least one point higher.

It is a keeper if an AU coin is your goal. It's about as nice as you are going find for that grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Great coin, I like the look of it...i imagine its in an AU50/53 holder.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. Is that the feedback you sought? image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, MS62

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great coin, I like the look of it...i imagine its in an AU50/53 holder. >>

Here is a MS-64 CAC example. This shows how much detail was not struck up on these coins, which often results in under grading.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I iike it as an AU 50 but I'd love it as an AU58 or anything in between
  • Options
    Take a pic of that coin under a halogen and I would be able to see it. I don't know how you guys can tell under that yellow light.
  • Options
    Sorry about the nighttime pics,

imageimage

here are some tilted in daylight and cropped to 50kb

imageimage

a range of opinions is expected for this one. it is pcgs graded

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very nice example and I grade it au55.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that we have better pics, I'll change my guess to AU55.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Definitely looks more like an AU in the new photos, but still a nice coin.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    new pics, new guess - AU58

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    no one has said the PCGS grade yet, even with two or more guesses each.

maybe this is similar to the conversation that took place in the finalizing room

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    MS 63-64.
    Nice!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks to be at least an AU-55 and a very nice specimen. VERY clean!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley, Based on the photos that you provided, I'd conservatively grade it as AU-55.

It's an attractive & eye appealing $10 Indian, and probably a keeper! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem-free and a great design. This is on my list for my box of 20 someday.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it certainly looks AU if nobody has said the grade then PCGS XF45.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my series but I do prefer coins without IGWT. I am a fan of the separation of church and state thingie that the US Gov't doesn't care about while they demonstrate their selective enforcement of the laws in this country.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im in the au 55 camp as well and it looks like a keeper as well. nice coin image
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Would probably go 62 at NGC, but more like au58 at PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>Would probably go 62 at NGC, but more like au58 at PCGS. >>

I agree with you
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely very lightly circulated. It looks like a very nice Ch AU - AU55. Keeper coin.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagle's shoulder looks a bit dark due to some rub. I'd say AU58.

EDIT: I didn't see the new photo. AU55.

Damn Chrome is still messing up the post order...grrr...

jom
  • Options

<< <i>Not my series but I do prefer coins without IGWT. I am a fan of the separation of church and state thingie that the US Gov't doesn't care about while they demonstrate their selective enforcement of the laws in this country. >>

Whoa, talk about a ton of mis-understanding and misinformation getting tossed around in the statement above.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though AU58 has already been mentioned....and no one has got it right....I'd still say AU58. A couple of rim cuts could drop it a point.

I'd not be surprised on anything from 55 to 62. It does have basically full field luster. Good deal as an AU and maybe not so great a deal as MS. It does have the initial appearance of being unc. And if what appears to be
    a mixture of "rub" and strike on the Indian's curls and eagle's shoulder is 100% strike, then MS62 is not unrealistic. These coins sometimes won't get the same grade twice on 3 submissions.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not my series but I do prefer coins without IGWT. I am a fan of the separation of church and state thingie that the US Gov't doesn't care about while they demonstrate their selective enforcement of the laws in this country. >>

Whoa, talk about a ton of mis-understanding and misinformation getting tossed around in the statement above. >>

I disagree with your assertion, provide evidence, education and reasoning.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking PQ coin for the most part, but there is way too much breast feather detail missing on the reverse to get AU58 or even AU55 in my opinion. It is too nice looking to get AU50 in my opinion as AU50 is usually reserved for ugly AU coins. It wouldn't surprise me if they gave it XF45 or AU53... I think it's got nice eye appeal overall so I chose AU53.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    The $10 Indian is one of my favorites, after my #1, the 21 Peace, that is. I'd say your Coin is anywhere from AU53 up to about
    MS60. There's not a thing wrong with that Coin. It's a beauty. A true work of Art.
  • Options
    So what is it ? Genuine, altered surfaces ?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go with 53.
  • Options
    The coin is straight graded by PCGS, and still, no one has yet mentioned the slab grade exactly. (a guess of "somewhere between Good and XF" is NOT a correct answer for a VF25 coin, for example, so a wide range is not really a valid guess, even if technically correct, as it doesn't provide much information)..

It appears to be tough to grade these from pictures, and probably in person, too, as there will be market grading going on, as most estimates are low vs. PCGS' opinion, and those who changed their guesses when the new pictures were posted were closer the first time they answered

• Options
    In that case, it's an excellent exercise and thank you Baley. I can't love it as an AU 58… I'm going to have to guess it's LDS MS 61 (11 points off)
  • Options
    MS65? What haven't we guessed? image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Same reason why I want an '08 No Motto $20 for my first gold coin. >>

The design also looks a lot cleaner without the motto. Saint's don't look too bad with motto 'cause it's well, evenly placed but on the Indian it clutters the field.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno. Looks AU-like from the photos, but to really tell I'd need to look at the high-point surfaces through a loupe or at least in good light. If there is good frost/texture on the high-points it could be just a weak strike. If it has pretty nice luster I could see it in a 63+/64 holder (since everyone is guessing low). It has a few hits, but none of them are terribly distracting. It looks like a nice coin and I think there is pretty nice luster from the photos. It could never make it to a 65 holder with that strike though.
  • Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    The problem with 07s is that they aren't rare. If one is on a budget, the sweet spot appears to be a 61. If you can spend a bit more, a 62. But AUs of the date are basically holdered bullion. Best to stretch a bit and get a nice coin, CAC'd if possible, and again budget permitting. Definite wear on this piece, more so on the reverse than obverse, regardless of holdered grade.

EC
  • Options
    I like it at 55.
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file