Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Auction is CLOSED Thanx EVERYONE! When you pay remember to "GIFT" the money - You've been

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Over exposed is an understatement.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    good morning everyone--happy Friday the 13th!!!

I would like to offer the following 2 packs for this great cause...Jay we have never met, but God Bless and good luck

guaranteed to cross to PSA if you wish--

image[/URL][/L]
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    wow, great offer. 100 on the '74 packs.
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    jay we have also never met but my prayers are for you and your familyimage I will bid 150 on the 1974 packs
  • How is jay doing by the way
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How is jay doing by the way >>

Here is a post Jay made a couple days ago on net54:

Thanks to all for the continued support & encouragement & to Lee for his generosity in spearheading the auctions.
    Just completed my 3rd consecutive day of chemo and I'm dizzy as I type this.
    At the end of Dec I will undergo the bone marrow transplant and will be in the hospital 3-4 weeks if all goes well.
    So I will be off the grid till around Feb.
    Again Thank You all for your support, Carole & I appreciate it.
    Have a Happy & Healthy Holiday season...jay
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Lot #54 - Probstein $250
    Wondo

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Lot#9 - 74T Proof - $45 - InitialD...... bumping this to $50
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot #23 - I'll gladly shill my own lot to $50. Anyone else interested in some nice 50s cards (and a nice '63 Kubek)?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $160 on the pair of 74 wax packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$160 on the pair of 74 wax packs. >>

170 on the 74 wax
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Probstein $275
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Instead of everyone bidding on their own lots, why don't they do a straight donation?
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Instead of everyone bidding on their own lots, why don't they do a straight donation? >>

There is nothing wrong with bidding on one own's lot......sometimes items are just hard to part with....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    It would suck to contribute an item for less than you could get on ebay. Otherwise you would be donating say $100 of you collection to net less than that in the donation. So shill away. Either you donate the item or its value in cash.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

• << <i>It would suck to contribute an item for less than you could get on ebay. Otherwise you would be donating say $100 of you collection to net less than that in the donation. So shill away. Either you donate the item or its value in cash. >>

+1
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Instead of everyone bidding on their own lots, why don't they do a straight donation? >>

That's exactly what I will be doing unless you up the bid that Walston and outbid me, Bobby. image

With the current bid being significantly under VCP, you didn't think I was going to let you win it for $110, did you Bobby? Plus, it's for a really great cause.

• Lot 20 66 topps box $55.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    And straight donations can be made to: www.gofundme.com/HelpingJayW. Any amount is welcomed and I will match the first $250.00. If you're not planning on winning something, let's help out Jay and his family.

And if anyone is fearful or questions my integrity, please ask. I'm sure I can get more than a few to vouch for me...
    Mike
  • CWCW Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    >>> Lot#39 - donation lots - #1 - $10; #2 - $10; #3 - $10; #4 - $10; #5 - $10 - AH

What exactly are these? I tried to go back and catch it but to no avail... (thanks, btw)

<< <i>>>> Lot#39 - donation lots - #1 - $10; #2 - $10; #3 - $10; #4 - $10; #5 - $10 - AH

What exactly are these? I tried to go back and catch it but to no avail... (thanks, btw) >>

Hey Chuck - here ya go - originally posted by Mike aka shouldabeena10:

LOT #39

I was just digging through some of my boxed up stuff, looking for some more items to donate, and I stumbled across an old box that I think will be very fitting for this auction.

There's a little story behind it too ... that might help shed some light on what kind of guy Jay Wolt is:

Many years ago, I mentioned to Jay that I worked with a local youth group that helped kids in need. We basically do things like back packs for schools, Thanksgiving dinners, clothes, food, Children's hospital baskets, and Christmas toy drives. I told him that I'd often slip little stacks of newer football cards into the backpacks, clothes pockets, and in with the toys, etc. ... to try and bring an extra smile to a kid, and maybe even spawn some future collectors. It was basically a quick little comment I made in the middle of a much longer conversation about cards and our collections.

About a week later, I received a huge box on my porch. Inside of it was a couple of those 10,000 count monster boxes filled to the brim with random baseball and football cards, and a note from Jay saying; "put them to good use for me."

Over the next few years, little packets of Jay's cards made their way into the hands of hundreds of kids ... bringing a small moment of joy into a child's life that might otherwise not have many. I had the privilege of receiving tons of "thank yous!" and smiles from kids on behalf of Jay's cards. He helped touch many people's lives through his generosity.

I thought I had used up all of his cards, but I just stumbled across a small dusty box with maybe 500 cards left in it . So here's my idea ... I'll auction off Five 100 card lots, and the winners, in keeping with Jay's wishes, can help spread some more joy this holiday season by giving them away to needy kids in their area. It doesn't take much effort to do it. You can drop them off (or even mail them) to your local hospital, the salvation army, foster homes, churches, shelters, food kitchens, etc.

While the monetary value of these batches may be small, the provenance behind them is massive ... They come from the collection of a guy with a huge heart, that helped make hundreds of kids smile. You'll also get the honor and reward of helping Jay gain a few more smiles this holiday season!

So let's start them at $5 each, and see where they go.

1) 100 count box of Jay's cards ... to donate to kids.
    2) 100 count box of Jay's cards ... to donate to kids.
    3) 100 count box of Jay's cards ... to donate to kids.
    4) 100 count box of Jay's cards ... to donate to kids.
    5) 100 count box of Jay's cards ... to donate to kids.

LOT #39

Same procedure as the others. Pay Mike (Stone193), and I'll ship them out.

Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $180 on the pair of 74 wax packs

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Lot #56 - 74T packs - $190

------
    stupid print dots

• Lot #36 - 1986 Topps Wax Box - $60
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    $300 probstein
    Wondo

When are we ending? I lost track.
    Wondo

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    1st post
    "Hi everyone

edit: This auction will run till next Saturday 9pm Eastern."

As in tonight.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    I posted the closing in the OP - it ends tonite at 9PM give or take a few...

Thanx everyone!
    Mike
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

15 minute rule?? lol

<< <i>15 minute rule?? lol >>

The first rule of Jay-Club is that there are no rules.
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... it ends tonite at 9PM give or take a few... >>

Snipe set for ... "9 PM give or take a few"
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
    Snipe.

Funny stuff.

Sometime this eve around 9pm you'll see this: CLOSED TO BIDDING

But, if someone jumps in with a "biggie?" Well, I'm sure we all know where that's going? image
    Mike
    Mike
  • Lot#40 - 68T Mantle - $110
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    I'll go $45 on lot #51 emmitt smith rookie card.
    Scott
  • I will take the following lots:

Lot #6 1966 Gomer Pyle $70
    Lot #17 1933 goudey tris speaker $150
    Lot # 45 1964 stand up Kaline $60
    Lot # 48 Auto Bush Book $150
    Membership # 5 $120

Thanks,

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
    Mike
    Just for clarity - I said 9pm - I said eastern when I meant to say Central - which is my time zone - I didn't think of people on the west coast who may still be out.

So, I'll give it some extra time.

Like I said - when it's post - "closed" - that's it.

Thanx to everyone for your time and generosity.

This will be a much merrier Christmas for Jay because of YOU!
    Mike
  • Mike, you're running the show. if anyone has a "problem" with it, that's on them really imo.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭
    I'll put a bid of 40.00 for the Gomez auto Lot 25
    Thanks
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Just got home. I'll bump Lot #55 - 77T Sutter RC PSA 9 up to $100 if its not too late.

Thanks
    Jeff

<< <i>Just got home. I'll bump Lot #55 - 77T Sutter RC PSA 9 up to $100 if its not too late.

Thanks
    Jeff >>

No Jeff - didn't think that some people - especially on the west coast aren't home. So, let's let it go. We'll stop this evening tho.

Thanx!
    Mike
    And additional donations can be made via: www.gofundme.com/HelpingJayW. We're up to $550, but I'd love to reach much higher. I've matched the first $250 and I will also absorb and cover the minimal fees that GoFundMe charges to process.

If you didn't win any of the great lots offered, please consider making a donation. The holidays will be tough enough for Jay and his family and every little bit that we can muster will help ease some of the burden. A HUGE thank you to those generous enough to have participated and donated.

Great job again, Mike!!!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    On behalf of my wife Carole, we are blown away by the generosity of this board.
    After Mike (Stone) put up the initial lot, everything started to snowball and the good & decency
    of the hobby has shined through this CU message board.

Especially Mike who embodies the word "generous". He is generous w/ his money,
    his time and w/ his knowledge. I've always considered him a good friend.

With all the posts, I see many familiar names & friends, and a litany of posters who I don't
    know, and I hope in time, God willing! I can get to know.
    And thanks for all the well wishes and support via PM's, Emails & phone calls, they mean a lot.

And a thank you to Scott for putting me on a Cancer website although the picture you have of me is scary.
    Then again at least I "had" a full head of hair, now I look like Charles Barkley w/o the rebounding skills.

I completed an aggressive chemo regiment, 7 sessions in the last 3 weeks. Last go-round 4 years ago
    I had 6 sessions in 6 months. But this is only the beginning, since I will be scheduled for the
    bone marrow transplant at the end of December and will be at the hospital for 3-4 weeks minimum.
    So I'll be off the grid, and will post (or relay info to Mike) as soon as I can.

Thank you to all who participated by donating and by bidding, it humbles us to no end.
    Have a great Holiday season! and a happy & healthy 2014.....jay
    Thanx for those heartfelt words Jay.

I wish you all the best and you're always in my prayers. Here's wishing you a full recovery and I hope to see you soon.

With that the AUCTION IS CLOSED.
    Mike
    I'd like all those who've won to email thru paypal as a GIFT to mesablanca1110@yahoo.com.

edit: When you contact me - please let me know which lot you won. Thanx!

I'll mark the lot as paid and you can make arrangements with the contributor. I realized I don't have the contributors listed - I'll add the contributor to each lot tomorrow.

My lots will be mailed out as soon as they're paid for.

I can't find the right words of expression for how proud I am of everyone here for your contribution of lots and unparalleled generosity which has always been the hallmark of CU.

You guys are the best!

Merry Christmas - and thanx again Jay for the kind words.

Mike
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    thenavarro has paid in full for the 100 consignments via Probstein123
    Buying US Presidential autographs