Home Precious Metals

Look Out For These - [Pictures] - Fake - Gold Eagle - Krugerrand - Royal Canadian Mint Gold Bars

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are the photos.

These are gold plated tungsten that have all the proper specs.

feel free to repost to any location you like

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago a large New York dealer was nearly fooled by 10oz JM knockoffs, also centered in Tungsten. Short of drilling, what is the best was to establish authenticity on the bars?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that dealer was MTB (a mint authorized direct purchaser, even) and it was just a couple of years ago. very embarassing

I have heard of sound velocity testers, but have yet to find one for sale.

the speed of sound through tungsten is much, much higher than gold.

I'd guess they might "ring" different. The ring test would be a good one for bullion if it works, but obviously not for numismatic items.

These tungsten fakes go for a lot, so I doubt I'll be getting one for a ring differential test. and a ring test might not work as well on the higher ounce items, especially bars. But who knows.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the tells on these for us rubes??
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the tells on these for us rubes?? >>

Don't buy from the U.K. sellers who are peddling this garbage on eBay. Most do indicate, it's plated garbage. Limit your purchases to US based Nationwide bullion sellers...i/e APMEX, Provident etc
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    RCM
    ????

on the krugerrand
    reverse fur detail missing
    obverse "fur" detail missing

on the eagle,

the obverse the first and second rays are not positioned properly with respect to the stars. the face is like a meth addict face compared to the original. finger detail on the torch is missing.
    the reverse, there is a clump of leaves that look different under unum.

• Wizard1Wizard1 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Mass spectrometer
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    These keep getting better and harder to detect.
    Kinda makes me want to abandon physical and trade/hold paper only! image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the Eagles and Rands go, the tells are fairly obvious (and detailed by MsMorrisene)... on the bars, I would have no clue.... Cheers, RickO
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this information !!!
    Timbuk3
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mass spectrometer >>

Will that work if they are heavily plated with 999 fine gold?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>

Will that work if they are heavily plated with 999 fine gold? >>

obviously the thickness cannot be 100% or it would be pure gold

however, there was a "variety of thicknesses" mentioned.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭
    Someone brought up the idea of using a metal detector to test these. I wonder if the Krug and AGE would range differently with a known authentic one vs. a gold plated tungsten core one?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Will that work if they are heavily plated with 999 fine gold? >>

obviously the thickness cannot be 100% or it would be pure gold

however, there was a "variety of thicknesses" mentioned. >>

My point was that a spectrometer can only analyze the surface of the bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reason...eBay refuses to Nuke these auctions from UK sellers.

Plated "fake" 1 oz AGE's

You can only get these from UK sellers and I've been trying to have them removed w/o any luck. Perhaps one of you has more pull then I....image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any potential impact on the liquidity of physical due to the growing prevalence of counterfeits?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For whatever reason...eBay refuses to Nuke these auctions from UK sellers.

Plated "fake" 1 oz AGE's

You can only get these from UK sellers and I've been trying to have them removed w/o any luck. Perhaps one of you has more pull then I....image >>

Plated AGE reported as a counterfeit, let's see if that helps.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone brought up the idea of using a metal detector to test these. I wonder if the Krug and AGE would range differently with a known authentic one vs. a gold plated tungsten core one? >>

An interesting idea, but it would depend on how the instrument detects the metal item. If it is based on density, they I doubt it will help with finding these fakes, since tungsten is nearly the same density as gold. But... I am no expert on metal detection devices and I must say I do not know...
    ----- kj