Home Precious Metals
Options

A 2014 Commodities Rally Isn't Carved in Stone

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
-Liam Denning, WSJ C10, Tues. Dec 3 2014

If the market had its own Ten Commandments, near the top would be "thou shalt revert to the mean"--or, what goes up must come down and vice versa.
Commodities bulls betting on this lifting their favorite investment out of its funk need to ask themselves where that mean is, though.
It looks like commodities in 2013 will rack up their second consecutive year as the worst-performing asset class in terms of risk-adjusted returns, according to Deutsche Bank. The Dow Jones-UBS Commodity index is down 10% so far this year. But hope is one commodity that never runs out on Wall Street. As Deutsche Bank noted Monday: "Given the tendency of past losers to become future winners, this might imply a more constructive outlook" for next year.
There is little real support for a recovery, though. U.S. natural gas, oil, and related products, copper, aluminum, gold and silver account for 61% of the DJ-UBS index. Natural gas's dashing hopes for a recovery has become a cruel cliche' at this point. Continuing increases in production despite low prices suggest 2014 will bring more of the same. With oil, output is now rising so fast that the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries may soon have to agree to output cuts to avoid infighting.
Meanwhile, aluminum is chronically oversupplied and copper looks set to join it at least for a few years as mining expansions reach fruition. As for gold and silver, 2014 will likely see the Federal Reserve rein in its bond-buying program, suggesting real interest rates will rise, pressuring precious-metal prices further.
Above all, in historical terms, prices for copper, oil, and gold aren't even that cheap-- they only look so compared to recent dizzy peaks. Somewhere in those alternative commandments is another instruction for investors: Thou shalt not catch a falling knife.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Bring on gold $600 please.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barring some unforeseen black swan event, commodities will not rally until after the bursting of either the bond market or the stock market bubbles. See 2008 charts for expected repeat action.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barring some unforeseen black swan event, commodities will not rally until after the bursting of either the bond market or the stock market bubbles. See 2008 charts for expected repeat action. >>

Black Swan's will have to be postponed/rescheduled post 2017 Inaugural so as not to tarnish the current Zoo Keepers.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Barring some unforeseen black swan event, commodities will not rally until after the bursting of either the bond market or the stock market bubbles. See 2008 charts for expected repeat action. >>

Black Swan's will have to be postponed/rescheduled post 2017 Inaugural so as not to tarnish the current Zoo Keepers. >>

Yup...I can wait till 2018.

I'll keep stacking all the while.

Just bought 50 more oz of silver today.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Black Swan's will have to be postponed/rescheduled post 2017 Inaugural so as not to tarnish the current Zoo Keepers. >>

They might not be able to stop a Black Swan but the stock and bond markets are a different story. With the current fiscal policy in D.C. there will be continued and unprecedented monetary support for key markets by The Fed.
  • Options

<< <i> They might not be able to stop a Black Swan but the stock and bond markets are a different story. With the current fiscal policy in D.C. there will be continued and unprecedented monetary support for key markets by The Fed . >>

Well, with current fiscal policy, yes. However, those of us who remember the relentless rate hiking by Greenspan et al in 1999 to quell "irrational exuberance" know that those policies can reverse if inflation increases beyond the 2% target, if unemployment declines to well under the 6.5% target, and/or if the stock market gets too much more overheated (the current bull market is nowhere near, on a valuation-earnings-speculation basis, what it was in late 1999)

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Never easy to predict metal or equity trends. Particularly difficult now as DC has run amok in deficit spending and monetary policy.

I will guess that the 2014 year end price of Gold will be between $600 and $3000, but would not be surprised if I were wrong. image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never easy to predict metal or equity trends. Particularly difficult now as DC has run amok in deficit spending and monetary policy.

I will guess that the 2014 year end price of Gold will be between $600 and $3000, but would not be surprised if I were wrong. image >>

Gutsy call comrade mg.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will guess that the 2014 year end price of Gold will be between $600 and $3000, but would not be surprised if I were wrong. >>

Now that is a reasonably safe prediction....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> They might not be able to stop a Black Swan but the stock and bond markets are a different story. With the current fiscal policy in D.C. there will be continued and unprecedented monetary support for key markets by The Fed . >>

Well, with current fiscal policy, yes. However, those of us who remember the relentless rate hiking by Greenspan et al in 1999 to quell "irrational exuberance" know that those policies can reverse if inflation increases beyond the 2% target, if unemployment declines to well under the 6.5% target, and/or if the stock market gets too much more overheated (the current bull market is nowhere near, on a valuation-earnings-speculation basis, what it was in late 1999) >>

Unemployment<6.5% isn't happening any time soon...even using the BS fake numbers they calculate now.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I will guess that the 2014 year end price of Gold will be between $600 and $3000, but would not be surprised if I were wrong. >>

Now that is a reasonably safe prediction....image Cheers, RickO >>

I'll go out on a limb by predicting silver prices between $5 - $50 per ozimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither is the possibility of a US Treasury Bond crisis, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something's up - JPM is taking nearly all of Comex's physical deliveries.

"JPM just wants their gold back before the current fractional reserve bullion banking system breaks, prices skyrocket again and a new global currency regime takes hold. And now, for the first time ever, they've cornered the Comex gold futures market in order to ensure that it happens."

Break out the hammer and chisel.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting if 100%.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dude's name is Turd. Lol
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Yeah that's funny

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Baley in 2013 - Hi Baley! You'll be right! Happy New Year, this and next! Ain't Time Warp great?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.