Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade opinions 1900 Morgan

Just wanting some grade opinions on her to see if it was worth the money. Maybe I should have asked first. image

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob beat me to it... 63
  • Good. That's right about what I was thinking (62/63) image

jeff
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭
    MS62... too much cheek chatter for anything higher, IMO.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist based in SoCal.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheek chatter is low 63. Fields -- high 63-64.

Net -- 63.

Drunner
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not worth slabbing
    LCoopie = Les
  • sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    60+
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • When is a good time for a big "reveal"?? image

jeff
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cuts on the cheek too severe for a 3. I'd call it a 2. >>

+1
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62
    When in doubt, don't.
  • So I take it no one here has worked for SGS before?? image I'm well aware of the reputation SGS has (speaking respectfully of course) and had no intention of leaving it in the slab. I knew it had to be a good low 60's and figured for $36 it would be a good fit to a hole I have open.

jeff
  • michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    Lol, 62 at best.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow - that's sick

jeff
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    They still make SGS slabs? Who knew? I'm a little surprised they didn't give that one a PL designation too.. image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • What they don't tell you is that their grading scale goes up to 80 ...

That's just a few gashes shy of MS70 in my book. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Send it to CAC and see if it comes back with a bright orange sticker. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... it is a Morgan, it is silver.... That's all folks... image Cheers, RickO
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side, nice frost.

On the minus, Liberty looks like the unfortunate victim of a knife fight.

MS62ish. 67? Really? Really?
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be in the 62 camp. Is it just the photo or is there some doubling on the date? Possibly machine doubling, but it kinda stood out to me.

BTW does SGS stand for Scar Grading Service?
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW does SGS stand for Scar Grading Service? >>

Actually, I have another word in mind that rhymes with "pity".
    When in doubt, don't.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd grade it MS-62. The mark on the cheek is pretty distracting.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I take it no one here has worked for SGS before?? image I'm well aware of the reputation SGS has (speaking respectfully of course) and had no intention of leaving it in the slab. I knew it had to be a good low 60's and figured for $36 it would be a good fit to a hole I have open.
    image >>

Now you know why many of us refer to these devices as "third world slabs."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I couldn't resist. Like RickO said, it's a Morgan, it's silver (maybe I should check) and for what I paid, I had a filler and was able to give you all something to "think" about. image (I say this because we're not supposed to say bad things about other grading services, right? Wait, does SGS count as a grading service?) I will admit, it brought a sense of satisfaction to finally free her from her clear plastic tomb. Bryce, I think her cheek wounds came from her fighting for her life to not go in to the slab. Not sure what weight, if any, it carries but she is on VAMs list.

jeff
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with 63. A not very promoted date. I like it even with the dings that keep it from going to a higher grade. Full strike reverses always impress me. All you have to do is look at one coin graded by SGS and you know that SGS is not a real grading company. A 1900 is not as easy to find as one would think in MS-65 or higher. JMHO.

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file