Home U.S. Coin Forum

What does your Mother-In-Law think about your coin collecting?

Hope that this question hasn't been already asked!

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Reckon she would say.

Harley for sale, Girlfriend pregnant,,,,wife MAD!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have wonderful mother in-law; so long as I have good bottles of white wine and ice cubes on hand image

...I always do, so I assume she would indeed love that I collect coins.

Erik
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When she found out, she scurried off and came back with a 1906 double eagle pendant to show me. Now she puts proof mint sets in my stocking every year for which I am grateful. I'd say she's pretty cool with it.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Mine said she cherry picks Morgan VAMS......that threw me for a Loupe!
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I didn't care what my first two mother in laws thought about my coin collecting. The third one thought it was interesting, and used to get me rolls of halves from time to time to search for silver. Sorry to say she passed very recently. She was a wonderful woman.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    With my mother in law it wouldn't matter if I mentioned coins or global destruction, she would look at me and start talking about growing up in the south picking cotton. A good example of why I hang here image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother-in-law has always taken a strong interest in my coin collection. She has been consistently interested in learning about it and has always been very supportive.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine gave me a 1795 Half Dime to get certified for her!!! No joke! ...too bad there is a small chip off the rim. It was probably holed for someone to wear and it broke long ago.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her ashes have no comment
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Her ashes have no comment >>

My mother in law died long before I met my wife.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

About 6 years ago a friend called me to ask if could look at a Gold coin that his new stepmom had in the family for many years.

I said sure. Fell out of my chair when I saw that it was a 1907 Saint, High Relief in low MS condition. Coin was in a flip in a small white box with a rubber band around it.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't want to look at your effing website"

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't say seeing I never met my mother in law when she was alive
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not talked to my Mother-In- Law in 10 years. I did not want to interrupt her.image
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    my mother in law was a gift from heaven as opposed to the other alternative...she likes my coins but prefers my wall mounted shadowbox of collectible silver ingots

<< <i>my mother in law was a gift from heaven as opposed to the other alternative... >>

I got the alternative ....................
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not talked to my Mother-In- Law in 10 years. I did not want to interrupt her.image >>

30 years for me. Same reason.image
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to say that it is 4+yrs that I have to answer to no one image

<< <i>I have not talked to my Mother-In- Law in 10 years. I did not want to interrupt her.image >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dead... and she would not have cared... unless the coin was at the bottom of a beer can....Cheers, RickO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My father in law collects too, so I guess she just figures it is par for the course.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She never really knew when she was alive; now its a moot issue. IDK why one would be concerned. Its what a wife would think which may carry weight. I simply explain to her its a business and she stays out of it.

Regardless, I have certain expectations about any woman I would spend any serious money on or get into a relationship with and some gal not supportive of my hobbies would not even make the team.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She could care less.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She buys my kids coins for Christmas and birthdays image
    There is probably a math problem somewhere that shows a direct correlation between the amount of fun something brings me vs the amount my MIL hates it.

Example: she absolutely can't stand my kayak fishing, hates everything about it, can't stand the sight of my kayak.

The day I found out about her feelings on the subject, I made it known that I was absolutely going kayak fishing the next morning .... following week, I probably fished 4 days in a row because of a hot yellowtail bite.

TO MY MOTHER-IN-LAW: I had the most FUN this past summer than I have ever had and your beautiful daughter ate very healthy with the freshest of seafood imageimageimageimageimage

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not care less what my MIL thinks about my coin collecting or anything else that I do.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She died in 1999. My wife says she's certain that she would have both approved and been impressed.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mother in Law passed away about 20 years ago. She was one of my biggest fans and was supportive of everything I did. She was very smart and one of my most trusted advisers and without her support I might very well have not been able to start my first business. I started collecting about 20 years ago but I do not think she was aware of my collection before she passed. I have little doubt if she were with us today she would show an informed interest.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could not care less what my MIL thinks about my coin collecting or anything else that I do. >>

Sounds like someone here doesn't care for his MIL.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She loves that her daughter will inherit valuable coins.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ex-Mother-In-Law of 15 years would not have cared. Most family and friends are unaware of my numismatic interests and I just assume keep it that way.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>

<< <i>I could not care less what my MIL thinks about my coin collecting or anything else that I do. >>

Sounds like someone here doesn't care for his MIL.image >>

Sounded to me like the holiday weekend was a bit too long at the RYK house. image
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is probably a math problem somewhere that shows a direct correlation between the amount of fun something brings me vs the amount my MIL hates it.

Example: she absolutely can't stand my kayak fishing, hates everything about it, can't stand the sight of my kayak.

The day I found out about her feelings on the subject, I made it known that I was absolutely going kayak fishing the next morning .... following week, I probably fished 4 days in a row because of a hot yellowtail bite.

TO MY MOTHER-IN-LAW: I had the most FUN this past summer than I have ever had and your beautiful daughter ate very healthy with the freshest of seafood imageimageimageimageimage

image >>

Ummmm.... Did that fish eat a tennis ball? (First pic, fish on the left).

<< <i>Ummmm.... Did that fish eat a tennis ball? (First pic, fish on the left). >>

Funny you should ask, That is my gaff cover, that I lost that day.

When I landed my kayak in the surf on the beach, a fellow kayak fisherman (women) scolded me for having an open gaff sticking out of my yak.

I'm like ooops your right, sorry I could of hurt someone (else), huh?

She's like, "no dummy, if you flipped, you couda gaffed yourself", I'm all oh I see, thank you

This girl is by far the best fisherman out there of over a hundred guys ....
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my ex mother in law didnt like it, my ex didnt like it, i still do image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my ex mother in laws are beautiful old German women. They live in the state of Hessen. They do not know each other and they both think I was the best thing that ever happened to their daughters. Others may disagree.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>"I don't want to look at your effing website" >>

A real charmer, huh?
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dead... and she would not have cared... unless the coin was at the bottom of a beer can....Cheers, RickO >>

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, my father in law collected coins, and golfed EVERY day when he was alive.....but of course she would be quick to make some comment to me like 'why should (my wife) work, while I'm wasting money on coins?'.....but other than being judgmental and opinionated, she is quite a wonderful woman.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>

A real charmer, huh? >>

You have no idea .... BTW that was referring to checking out my error coin website that I spent a great deal of time putting together.

She complains I do not make enough while actively trying to harm my business.

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A real charmer, huh? >>

You have no idea .... BTW that was referring to checking out my error coin website that I spent a great deal of time putting together.

She complains I do not make enough while actively trying to harm my business. >>

I can put you in touch with a good hit man . . . PM me ! ! ! image

J/K image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>

<< <i>

A real charmer, huh? >>

She complains I do not make enough while actively trying to harm my business. >>

The ocean behind you looks vast and deep!
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother-in-law asked if I could leave my coins to her in my will. She's such an optimist.
    Lance.
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    My mother-in-law, now deceased, was mildly interested in my being a coin collector.

Having no coins worth collecting, she once gave me a crisp uncirculated U.S. $20 note sporting a major misalignment error on its reverse.

It is a beautiful error note that her daughter (a bank teller) gave her after opening a new pack from the Federal Reserve and noticing the error. Both my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law took excellent care of it before handing it over to me.

It was surely one of the nicest things she ever did for me.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea. It has never come up. She visits all the time too. Thank goodness she's as nice and unobtrusive as they come.
  • My mother-in-law was very supportive of my collecting.
    As a youngster, one of her chores was running the spinning wheel.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    She encouraged it and would give me Canadian mint products every year.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly deceased for several years.

Though she wasn't wild about most of my activities, i have a feeling she would have taken a shine to the coin collecting.
    She had a keen interest in US history and was extremely impressed by expensive material possessions- which I for the most part, didn't care for or accumulate during her lifetime.

She was actually a pretty remarkable woman, though a bit of a prude!image

I appreciate her more now that she's gone and I have the perspective of time on my side.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

I am going kayak fishing in the open pacific ocean in a few minutes, I just heard that the first kayak fisherman every was eaten by a shark yesterday in the Pacific, maybe my MIL gets lucky today.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file