Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SMS or BS?

When I began collecting my second investment was a 70-d set slabbed by SGS graded MS 70.  i knew better, my eyes were on the shiney half.  I sent the     Wash &  Roos to NGC, both returned MS65.  I know the  70-d is not SMS.  Last years club raffle, I won an IGG MS64 1965 half. Checking it out closer, a month aago I felt it was a MS65 at least. I sent both coins to a friend for pics an opinions.
70-d He feels the luster has been swiped in several places= AU58
65 Better than a 64 possible 67; SMS or BU us unknown

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMS and that's no BS.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    the 70d looks like most of them as they were only issued in mint sets. This one is 64 or so.

You wont want to hear it but there is no question what so ever you have a lower mint state grade sms half. These coins were handled a lot like circulation strikes though struck twice.
    I would point out the jaw bone is significant there is quite a scratch there. This coin is as IGC pegged it at best.

I would get a nice album and start a set of these halfs there among the easiest sets to complete and really cool to see a complete matched set.
    you have a very good start with these 2 halves.
  • Options
    THANX Sam,,,, my kenedy st w proofs is nealy complete, focused on franks now
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '70-D will look better after a bath in acetone.

Don't wipe it. Pat it very gently after rinsing in warm water.

It will still be 63/ 64 though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins for a display set... the Franklins though, IMO, display better....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have been a little overly critical of the '70-D. Some of the "problem" might actually be an artefact of the
    lighting or photography. It might be a pretty nice specimen if it isn't maked up badly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Sam was on point on the 1965 as to grade...I wouldn't expect any better than a 64 with that mark on the jaw. (I also agree that it's an SMS.)
  • Options
    I would not be willing to spend the money on the cost of grading your 1965 SMS Kennedy unless by some slight chance there is strong doubling on the reverse.
    It is however your coin and you have the right to do as you wish.

regards, Larry
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey, didn't I already say that??image
  • Options

<< <i>I would not be willing to spend the money on the cost of grading your 1965 SMS Kennedy unless by some slight chance there is strong doubling on the reverse.
    It is however your coin and you have the right to do as you wish.

regards, Larry >>

u nless 67 or 68 was mentioned...i'm not wasting my time. not doubtng anyone. how do you know?
  • Options
  • Options
    "how do you know?"

The Kennedy Half has been the main focus of my collection for the past 40 years.
    After you have examined as many Kennedy Half dollars as myself and some of the members commenting on your coin have
    then you can ask me again, "how do you know?"
    Good luck my friend.

Regards, Larry
  • Options
    Larry, just give up!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file