Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mars Cent: Update

Getting quite Crusty... or shall I say: Dusty

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someday in the distant future that will be reclaimed and sold for a fortune. image >>

I am fascinated by that coin. Wonder who would claim ownership if it did come back to Earth? Seems that a Nasa/JPL employee donated the coin. Sanction's descendants may be updating us on a long lawsuit 50 years from now. image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    if they ever get to the point of retrieval, I hope our society would have evolved past the point of needing lawyers and lawsuits
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Environmental damage...not to mention whatever they used to glue it on. I see a Genuine holder in this coins future image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To think it was minted in 1909 for general circ and ended up on Mars.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOTW toning (Out Of This World)

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    For the doctoring police...would this be considered a case where NASA intentionally placed the coin in an environment to accelerate the toning? image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    MT (Mars Toned)
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... I see no tarnish.... just a gray, crusty surface.... perhaps the Mars atmosphere is not conducive to copper tarnish... Hmmm, wonder about silver.... could be that future Mars numismatists will collect coins without environmental damage....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Edgett with Malin Space Science Systems in San Diego bought the coin and donated it for the project. It was a harshly cleaned VDB.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>To think it was minted in 1909 for general circ and ended up on Mars. >>

Indeed.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    It would go for moon money!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking to preserve your collection, I don't think that sending it to Mars is going to cut it. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would go for moon money! >>

Oh, it would sell for much more than moon money... we're talking Mars money for that one!!!

• Options

<< <i>It would go for moon money! >>

Shipping would be a deal killer.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pic looks a lot worse in that pic than I expect the coin would look in-hand. The light is coming in from a very shallow angle for some reason, accentuating the surface dirt. It's clear that the upper pic and lower pic were taken with different lighting. And no, I don't feel weird at all about commenting on the image quality of a photo taken on Mars!
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>The pic looks a lot worse in that pic than I expect the coin would look in-hand. The light is coming in from a very shallow angle for some reason, accentuating the surface dirt. It's clear that the upper pic and lower pic were taken with different lighting. And no, I don't feel weird at all about commenting on the image quality of a photo taken on Mars! >>

I think the clean photo was taken on earth before it left and before it had time to get all crusty
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the Chinese manned moon mission coming up, and commercial space flights on the horizon, extraplanetary coins will become more common...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Probably gonna have to soak the panel in acetone for a long time to get unglued.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

To think that it actually circulated for a time and ended up on Mars.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

To think that it actually circulated for a time and ended up on Mars. >>

Looks unc to me.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see no tarnish.... just a gray, crusty surface.... perhaps the Mars atmosphere is not conducive to copper tarnish... >>

There is little to no Oxygen in space, hence things don't oxidize (tone/tarnish).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see no tarnish.... just a gray, crusty surface.... perhaps the Mars atmosphere is not conducive to copper tarnish... >>

There is little to no Oxygen in space, hence things don't oxidize (tone/tarnish). >>

There is oxygen on the surface of Mars, just not much. And oxidation must happen there because that is what makes the planet red. The oxidized iron in the soil.
  • Options
    Wonder if they chose copper over a silver or gold coin for any particular reason?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file