Home U.S. Coin Forum

How about a Political Campaign Token & Medal post?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's newps like this that make exonumiaville not just a nice place to visit, but happily stay and grow roots! image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the slogan. Like the General. Great looking item! If this is yours it's a great one, congrats! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the slogan. Like the General. Great looking item! If this is yours it's a great one, congrats! image >>

Thanks keyman64, Yes it's mine and I liked all you stated above on this one also image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most Excellent! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this token since the 1960's when I found it in a coin dealer's bin.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt 1932 Lucky Tillicum token

Obverse: LUCKY TILLICUM / REBUILD WITH ROOSEVELT
    Reverse: PROSPERITY / 1933 / FOLLOW THE ROOSEVELT TRAIL

Appears to be silver-plated copper, is 27mm, and is somewhat worn.

Probably issued as a political token for the 1932 US presidential election.

And received this one more recently:

Obverse: LUCKY TILLICUM / REBUILD WITH ROOSEVELT
    Reverse: A CENTURY OF PROGRESS / 1933 / CHICAGO / FOLLOW THE ROOSEVELT TRAIL

Issued for the 1933 Chicago Exposition or World's Fair which was named "A Century of Progress".

Now the big question is:

What is a "Tillicum"?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    My favorite token slogan ( after the weed token image )

I had way over 100+ in all grades although I had a bunch of them in au thru 64. Here's a 65 that sold last week and now they are all gone

I never hoarded tokens before. I've hoarded early gold ( Had half a box of choice au and unc 1799 eagles once that wasn't for sale). Bought the 1st one for under 5k in au-58. Nobody wanted to buy them so I did.image) A big dealer on the west coast started buying these tokens a year or 2 ago.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great U.S. Grant items.

As they said in 1868, "vote the way you shot".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Buchanan tokens usually don't get collectors' blood pumping, but this piece is the exception. It is the "Buck - Cannon" rebus piece which is quite rare. There are supposed to be less than ten of these known in copper, and some others in white metal. I have owned them in both compositions, but sold the white metal piece after I acquired this one.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great U.S. Grant items.

As they said in 1868, "vote the way you shot". >>

Thanks OnlyGoldIsMoney... Here's a slogan that's close image

1866 Major General John White Geary, Campaign for Governor of Pennsylvania, 31mm Copper, struck by William H. Key

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tokens...BillJones that is an aswesome token.....I like the Grant too Broadstruck... Cheers, RickO
    Here is another rare Grant campaign piece. These medals were produced by or for Swiss-American Republican Club. Only a few examples of this first piece with Grant in a semi-facing pose is rare because it was quickly rejected. The dies were cut Hugues Bovy of Geneva, Switzerland. This piece is even rarer because it has the bezel attached to it. Despite this item keeps dropping in price. I'm currently the low man on the daisy chain price-wise, but perhaps it has not gone low enough. image The DeWitt/Sullivan number is USG 1868-1.

imageimage

And here is the replacement piece, DeWitt/Sullivan number USG 1868-2, for the Grant medal that is shown above. This piece is "common" as these things go, and a few collectors are actually down on it for that reason. Still if you want one, you sometimes have to wait because it seems like they come waves. Sometimes they are all over place, and then they don't show up for a while. The first piece is one, USG 1868-1, of those "pull the trigger" items because you might not see one for many years if you don't pull out your checkbook when you get the chance.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    Here is an 1872 Grant piece that celebrated the 15th Amendment to the Constitution which stated that no one could be denied the right to vote "on account of race, color or previous condition of servitude." Generally the 1872 Grant campaign tokens are much harder to find that those used in the 1868 campaign.

imageimage
  • CeephusCeephus Posts: 73 ✭✭
    I'll add this. Really don't know much about it or where it would be cataloged. It is lincoln cent sized. Also copper color. Photo is a little bright.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tokens & medals. I really love the medallic representation of beards imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file