Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have three dealer opinions on this walkers originality what say you all?

Thanks
RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Surfaces appear unusually flat and lacking in luster, but could be a result of the image. Is this a scan or a photo?
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks dipped & stripped to me. image
  • Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Good morning, Morganmanic: from those photos, I would say certainly not original.

Of course, we all know the boilerplate disclaimer regarding assessment from photos.

Whit
    Whit
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    From those images, I'm in the "not original" crowd.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    FUBAR
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The surfaces do not look original to me. The photo makes the coin appear quite dull. If it is accurate, then I would presume that it was overdipped.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yuck if genuine, double yuck if not.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not original club.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    surfaces are micro pitted around the obverse rim/edge, no luster, looks like post PVC damage (assuming its not a Chinese fake)
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a scan or a digital photo? Is it a counterfeit or an authentic WLH? Going simply from the limited information given and the images, I do not like it at all.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Fake, mishandled or very poorly imaged. Possibly the trifecta!
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Stored in leather?
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like someone with a good dental plan chewed on the rims.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it is real.

Tom

• Options
    Unc details - Environmental Damage (PVC)
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FUBAR >>

+1 in the sense of the poster above me.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't tell from scan

Scans flatten the color and lose luster.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Corroded - 9:15 and 12:30 to 1:30 on the obverse.

Unfortunate.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who are the dealers?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the coin in hand, but from the photos, best case environmental damage and restored, worst case - fake.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake is my vote.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine, corroded obverse, possibly wire-brushed (heavily).
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would sell it to the one who offered the best price
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the parlance of a dealer I knew who has since passed on, this coin has been "cooked." I would revise the term to "burned to a crisp" in this case. Somebody left in coin dip for way too long, or they decided that swimming pool grade hydrochloric acid would be a "dandy coin dip." It wasn't.

Sorry but this piece is worth no more than melt.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The coin in question looks almost sand cast. The other issue is that it also looks like a coin that was left in tarnx to long then acid dipped to get rid of the discoloration and all this resulted in the loss of all surface luster and the appearance of environmental damage. Just my opinion image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>who are the dealers? >>

If one of them liked this coin, he is a dumb bunny image if you ask me, and if he wants to buy it, I'd sell it to him before he comes to his senses or goes out business.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>who are the dealers? >>

and what did they say? >>

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Not a good looking coin. The MM doesn't look right to me.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 3 different posters with this image author icon on the previous page.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    were the 3 dealers in China image

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    looks like a cast counterfeit to me....
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looooong Dip in Cyanide took tarnish out and began attacking surface metal (corrosion). Good coin to sell as bullion scrap
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Belongs in a junk silver box.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The details on the half make me think it is real.

I would surmise it has been worked - one indicator is the sun's rays in the left field appear quite weak.

The previously mentioned patch of what looks like corrosion over Liberty is an indicator, too.

Environmental damage - MS details.

Certainly not worth submitting.

Shame.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks dipped & stripped to me. image >>

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your life just became a lot easier with 3 dealers who all agree with each other.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>btw just out of curiosity, why would you need 3 dealer's opinion on said coin? >>

Because all three dealers told him the same thing he is hearing in the thread and he is still looking for someone to tell him that he has a gem?
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Looks like it has been Sandblasted, if it's a genuine coin.image Too bad.
    Pacecar
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Hum . . . Time to get some new dealers ! ! ! image

PVC damaged on both Obv & Rev

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears real but seriously treated in some manner... was it a dug coin?? I have seen Walkers that come out of the ground and then cleaned that look just like those pictures....either way, dug, dipped, stripped etc, it is just melt or a hole filler...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    That is what happens when coins are cleaned. Especially too many times.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fake, mishandled or very poorly imaged. Possibly the trifecta! >>

Ditto
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it has been Sandblasted, if it's a genuine coin.image Too bad. >>

Yes. This may well be the first of the (up to now only rumored) matte proofs of that year. I think the 17's are more convincing. They are not in the RedBook. image

I took my '17 into Stacks last year. Showed it to three different staff members.

Responses:

Chris Napolitano - "I'd like us to remain friends after this"
    Larry Stack - "You f@@king idiot"
    Greg Cohen - "I'll have to drop it on the counter before I'd offer you $5

For those of your who know Greg, last weekend Jess delivered a strapping 8 lb+ lad they've named Benjamin image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is it sounds like too much work for me....
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Cast fake and if not then too badly damaged to be worth anything more than melt value.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps fire damage followed by a heavy dip.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file