How old is a participant on the CU Precious Metals forum? ~Poll~

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anonymously click your age range to see the results

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Wish I'd started 10-15 years earlier...
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I'll be halfway to 72 in 3 days.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early in the poll but thus far surprised by how many are under 40! image

I'm 49. image
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I am 18 with 43 years experience image
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking in at what appears to be the median age.

JC
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    52 dunno WTF to do and ain't got a gosh durn clue!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I am 39 for the 8th time and haven't had a decent hairline in about 20 years
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Voted in at 34-39. Just wish I had started about 10 years sooner
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anonymously click your age range to see the results >>

Ahhhh.... I did it wrong image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, I'm the oldest oneimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iwas debating putting my age when I started here to blow the bell curve.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm tiltin' to the high side!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    We have a YS (Young Stacker) too! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate being in the majority.

Baley, how did you determine those age groupings?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently there is only one person I the poll who is over 70 which makes sense when you consider that PM's are generally considered to be long term investments.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Currently there is only one person I the poll who is over 70 which makes sense when you consider that PM's are generally considered to be long term investments. >>

Not so, there are now 2 of us. Just another asset, just like stocks or real estate, bought and sold for potential profits. Unfortunately, gold and silver are currently in the "dog house," but will turn around, hopefully in my lifetime, when demand, once again, exceeds the supply and speculators return to take charge.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm no longer in the majority. This little demographic exercise explains a lot of the angst and fear in this forum as they are the last of the baby boomers with the most to lose.

• Options

<< <i>I hate being in the majority.

Baley, how did you determine those age groupings? >>

I tried to go with the major life stages: junior high and below, high school, college, early working, later working/early family, kids in elementary and below and getting established in a career, kids in junior high/mostly established in a career, kids in high school/college/second or more career, kids out of college and early retirement, middle retirement, late retirement etc, and played with the ranges to try to get a relatively even distribution.

I'll be clicking a different box next year.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just jumped a whole group in the past 3 days.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just jumped a whole group in the past 3 days.image >>

Congrats on 28-33!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad I'm no longer in the majority. This little demographic exercise explains a lot of the angst and fear in this forum as they are the last of the baby boomers with the most to lose. >>

Where are you seeing angst and fear from around here?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm glad I'm no longer in the majority. This little demographic exercise explains a lot of the angst and fear in this forum as they are the last of the baby boomers with the most to lose. >>

Where are you seeing angst and fear from around here? >>

I stack so I won't have "angst and fear" because of out of control spending by our government. Actually, I sleep quite well.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

You don't feel/see it? Perhaps this is due to different professional trainings/experiences.

Back in the majority again. Dag nabbit.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I hate being in the majority.

Baley, how did you determine those age groupings? >>

I tried to go with the major life stages: junior high and below, high school, college, early working, later working/early family, kids in elementary and below and getting established in a career, kids in junior high/mostly established in a career, kids in high school/college/second or more career, kids out of college and early retirement, middle retirement, late retirement etc, and played with the ranges to try to get a relatively even distribution.

I'll be clicking a different box next year. >>

Interesting. 20 years ago the brackets would have been slightly different. Moreso pronounced from 40-50 years ago.

I'll check a different box a few months after you.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    What this shows is a pretty healthy mix.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You don't feel/see it? Perhaps this is due to different professional trainings/experiences. >>

I don't see it from the regular posters here, no. I see the usual beetch&moan when the down swings happen but do not see anybody showing true fear, or expressing it openly anyway. There are a lot of level heads here in play and I'm not getting any day trader morning bourbon ulcer vibe from anyone.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Currently there is only one person I the poll who is over 70 which makes sense when you consider that PM's are generally considered to be long term investments. >>

Forming a nice bell curve now...another interesting poll would be 'how many years have you been stacking'?.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, who's the young PM stacker?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    59 and 11/12ths. Counting down the days. Recovering from hernia surgery yesterday.
    COA
  • Options
    Drbuster I think you are referring to current PM prices. I see no fear or angst there either. So that does concern me. But I was referring to the fear and angst the last of the boomers feel toward socioeconomic changes. This is a classic "early bird gets the worm situation". The early boomers are the benefactors of all the promises and enjoyed the successes if being pushed from behind by a large and voracious population. The later boomers are funding there are very few worms left and have no tailwind as the next generation is very small especially when expressed as a percentage of the population. Those born between 1955 to 1964 will probably witness the greatest swings in their finances as they truely are the tail on a very large dog.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Drbuster I think you are referring to current PM prices. I see no fear or angst there either. So that does concern me. But I was referring to the fear and angst the last of the boomers feel toward socioeconomic changes. This is a classic "early bird gets the worm situation". The early boomers are the benefactors of all the promises and enjoyed the successes if being pushed from behind by a large and voracious population. The later boomers are funding there are very few worms left and have no tailwind as the next generation is very small especially when expressed as a percentage of the population. Those born between 1955 to 1964 will probably witness the greatest swings in their finances as they truely are the tail on a very large dog. >>

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like a "we've run out of social security money" scenario.

Also sounds like what happens when a Ponzi reaches its end. Could it be the day of economic reckoning approaches?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Drbuster I think you are referring to current PM prices. I see no fear or angst there either. So that does concern me. But I was referring to the fear and angst the last of the boomers feel toward socioeconomic changes. This is a classic "early bird gets the worm situation". The early boomers are the benefactors of all the promises and enjoyed the successes if being pushed from behind by a large and voracious population. The later boomers are funding there are very few worms left and have no tailwind as the next generation is very small especially when expressed as a percentage of the population. Those born between 1955 to 1964 will probably witness the greatest swings in their finances as they truely are the tail on a very large dog. >>

My siblings (4 total) were all born between 1951 and 1957. My cousins (16 total) were all born between 1944 and 1958. I was born in 1964 (yeah, I know it was an accident!). I've never considered myself to be the tail on a large dog but I have been called a horse's ass. image And yes, there's certainly truth in the quoted paragraph from my own experience.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent Poll Question.
  • Options
    beautiful bell curve, thanks to all!

• Options

No clue why I didn't see this until today. And absolutely I was refering to just us folks here.

If we're talking actual population then of course I see some as folks are realizing the wizards behind the curtains do not have their best interests in play anymore like they thought..even though behind some of the curtains there is just a mirror.

Unfortunately, in my gen-x lifetime I'll probably see a major socio-economic event unfold here in the states. The juggernaut is out of control, parasitic, and self destructive at this point. I just try to prepare and keep myself and family ready for limited exposure to the collateral damage.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I'll be 34 in March and reading this forum has opened my eyes and given me a lot of insight that I never thought I would need or have interest in.

Better late than never.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

Great observation!

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I am in the majority, mid 40s
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    ive been in the same age group since i joined.
    until next year image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    I voted------after I remembered how old I amimage
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    I've moved up one rank since answering the poll

edit: most telling feature of this ttt: no new votes so far, total has stood at 151 for a long long time.

• Options

<< <i>I've moved up one rank since answering the poll

edit: most telling feature of this ttt: no new votes so far, total has stood at 151 for a long long time. >>

same here....now with the "elite old geezer" groupimage
  • Options
    New vote. 34-39.
  • Options
    New vote 47-54. Now two groups are tied for the top.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options

<< <i>I voted------after I remembered how old I amimage >>

Funny how sometimes you actually have to stop and think about that one. That doesn't happen to the first 3 or 4 groups. I was a year off about a month ago discussing age with the wife.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    55 - 62.

And so nice to see I'll be sliding further away from the top of the curve as I go.
    (but I'll have company)
    COA
  • Options
    very nice normal distribution ("bell curve") centered around age 46

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    39 here slowed on the stacking due to financial responsibilities. But since saving my home I now am back in the saddle again and have not had to touch the small hoard that I have accumulated over the short period of time that I have been stacking. Great poll! Can't wait to get back into the metals.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 earlier this month. Started stacking in Jan 2009 but making up for lost time.