Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your New Orleans $5's

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
The New Orleans half eagle date run is a choppy and sporadic date run the runs from 1840 to the 1890's with a massive gap between 1857 and 1892. In similar spirit to the thread a few months back on Charlotte $5's, how about posting your New Orleans $5's in an effort to complete the set in this thread.

I'll start with the first coin in the series and the two keys...

1840-O Variety 3 in P40 CAC with a nice "leather pouch" look in hand

1842-O P40 CAC, ex. Littlejohn (and RYK). One of my favorite dates, only about 5 dozen known. This one of four certified by CAC.

Finally, the 1847-O $5, the toughest date in the series with about four dozen known Graded P35 CAC from Doug Winter. This date has really appreciated in the last few years.

Comments

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got nothin! but those are sweet. i especially love the color on the 40-O.

• << <i>
    image >>

All look nice except this one, the dullish grey color certainly wouldn't be an applicate for my O type set.

I think we can pull a better one in this thread!

Nice coins nonetheless. image
  • Love the original look of all the coins...especially the 47.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the original look of all the coins...especially the 47. >>

Thanks Al. The 47-O has that beautiful electric blue coloration in the lighter colored areas that is so attractive on circulated original gold. Tough coin to find as I'm sure you know. An acceptable example might come up every 2-3 years especially with the NO market picking up.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Love the original look of all the coins...especially the 47. >>

Thanks Al. The 47-O has that beautiful electric blue coloration in the lighter colored areas that is so attractive on circulated original gold. Tough coin to find as I'm sure you know. An acceptable example might come up every 2-3 years especially with the NO market picking up. >>

that's a heck of a nice coin, esp for a vf35
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 'O'ld gold.....Cheers, RickO
  • jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    The 40-O sure looks like a 45 when compared to the 42-O.
    Wonder if CrustyGold has found his acceptable 47-O yet.
  • Wow - these are awesome. Other than Doug Winters, any other dealers that specialize in half eagle new Orleans mint?
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunatly no NO $5 yet image

Nice coins though!

It's all about what the people want...

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some lovely Zero Mint™image half eagles. I need to get one for my collection.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised you not getting the set of Os faster. They are not rare, although I only have one in the condition I want them. Pictures are not so hot but it is all I have.

imageimage
    A few more New Orleans $5's to jump start my old thread... Forgive the picture of the 51-O, it cropped right out of the Heritage scan and looks much nicer in hand. It is however the very rare type 3 variety which I can find 3 other examples of, 2 in the Harry Bass sale and a genuine coin from the Heritage archives. Note the rep inched 1 and the second "O" to the southeast of the mint mark.

• dagman100dagman100 Posts: 147 ✭✭
    1844-O XF40 PCGS CAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file