Goldberg Auction, 1793 C-4 R3. PCGS MS-66 Brown

please discuss

Comments

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    fantastic photo
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this coin in person, it is amazing. A few experts at the last EAC convention thought that it will sell for $1 million or more.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen this coin in person, it is amazing. A few experts at the last EAC convention thought that it will sell for $1 million or more. >>

I don't think 1 million will even be close to buying it.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priceless
  • Options
    Incredible coin. I think the 1793 Half Cents are my single favorite early federal issue, design-wise. Something about the high relief of the obverse and the intricacy of the reverse wreath. The 5 examples in the Missouri Cabinet together are unreal.

There should be a handful of million dollar coins in this sale.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen this coin in person, it is amazing. A few experts at the last EAC convention thought that it will sell for $1 million or more. >>

I don't think 1 million will even be close to buying it. >>

The only thing that might hold it back is that it is not red, but there are no 1793 Half Cents in red so far as I know.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an outstanding coin this is.

Does a coin like this really have full cartwheels and luster as described in the auction description?

I've never had the privilege to see an MS 1790's anything in person and it's hard to fathom. Especially copper.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Very amazing item and image.
  • Options
    PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys it was a pleasure.
    Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I would bet against this selling for more than $1m
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Is it known who first saved this coin from circulation? What a treasure!
    Dan
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The TrueView:

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it will hit a million...but I have been wrong before, way too many times in fact.

Freaking Awesome Coin though!!!

Edit to add: That collection has many amazing coins in it!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Is this the finest known?

An incredible coin......

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Freaking Awesome Coin though!!! "

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... let me add a third 'Freakin' Awesome' to the commentary....what a coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>What an outstanding coin this is.

Does a coin like this really have full cartwheels and luster as described in the auction description?

I've never had the privilege to see an MS 1790's anything in person and it's hard to fathom. Especially copper. >>

I haven't seen this particular coin in hand, but cartwheel luster on early copper is all about flowlines. This piece, being a rather advanced die state, has pretty good ones on the obverse at least and I would bet the luster is incredible in hand.

Both sets of images are fantastic. Not sure which one I like better. The TV definitely gives a better sense of luster, but photoguy's allows for a better appreciation of the surface quality IMO.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Look at the H in HALF CENT on the reverse..... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be the craziest coin to sell for $1M.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at the H in HALF CENT on the reverse..... image >>

look at the 1 over 200.

it would not surprise me if this coin when over 1M. i think it's a like a precious work of art and should be priced and prized as such. i am glad to hear from those who have seen this in person and confirmed it is amazing.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Regarding the Tettenhorst PCGS-66-Brown 1793,

CRO: <I don't think 1 million will even be close to buying it. >>

ShoreColl: <<It wouldn't be the craziest coin to sell for $1M. >>

I do not think that any 1793 is the most valuable half cent in the Tettenhorst-Missouri Collection. The PCGS-67RB 1794 and the 1796 No Pole may each sell for more?

The Missouri Half Cent Collection Part 1: Tettenhorst 1796 'No Pole' Liberty Cap

The Missouri Half Cent Collection, Part II: Tettenhorst, Superb Gem 1794

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a distinctive and incredible coin like that, why get an irrelevant CAC review?
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With a distinctive and incredible coin like that, why get an irrelevant CAC review? >>

because when you pay seven figures for something knowing it's not been doctored at the cost of $20 is good insurance?
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree and do not think it will hit $1 million. The 1794 in 67 Red/Brown will probably be closer.

Why CAC this coin? Besides gold, copper coins are probably the most often doctored. And you can probably imagine the price jump from a 63 or 64 to a 65 is huge, and the enticement to "improve" the coin could possibly be there. Thankfully it was not for the owner of this amazing collection.

9999! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree and do not think it will hit $1 million. The 1794 in 67 Red/Brown will probably be closer. >>

We will find out in the next 48 hours. In any case, they are both incredible!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    whoops...
  • Options
    It is late and it looks like she is going to spit some water on someone with those cheeks.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of my league. image
  • Options
    It's out of my league too. I have a VF with a couple rim issues. At least it has good color.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Although I would consider myself a knowledgeable collector, I concur with those "expert" friends of mine!

Getting excited for tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>Why CAC this coin? Besides gold, copper coins are probably the most often doctored. And you can probably imagine the price jump from a 63 or 64 to a 65 is huge, and the enticement to "improve" the coin could possibly be there. Thankfully it was not for the owner of this amazing collection. >>

I would think that with this coin PCGS was very careful in determining the grade and whether it was doctored (I infer that it is in a SecurePlus holder given the collection name is included on the holder and the value of the coin).

Anyway, as TDN stated, what's $20 bucks thrown away for the perceived "insurance" to further reassure a buyer? I guess that has some merit, but I suspect the buyers of this coin don't feel it was necessary.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1794 is 67RB is my favorite. There is something amazing about any early copper coin with red in it, that sheer rarity can't match.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why CAC this coin? Besides gold, copper coins are probably the most often doctored. And you can probably imagine the price jump from a 63 or 64 to a 65 is huge, and the enticement to "improve" the coin could possibly be there. Thankfully it was not for the owner of this amazing collection. >>

I would think that with this coin PCGS was very careful in determining the grade and whether it was doctored (I infer that it is in a SecurePlus holder given the collection name is included on the holder and the value of the coin).

Anyway, as TDN stated, what's $20 bucks thrown away for the perceived "insurance" to further reassure a buyer? I guess that has some merit, but I suspect the buyers of this coin don't feel it was necessary. >>

You'd be surprised what some buyers perceive as necessary
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is that "dot of metal" just below the ear?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyway, as TDN stated, what's $20 bucks thrown away for the perceived "insurance" to further reassure a buyer? I guess that has some merit, but I suspect the buyers of this coin don't feel it was necessary. >>

You'd be surprised what some buyers perceive as necessary >>

A great many collectors, who specialize in early copper, are not nearly as concerned about the opinions of CAC and third party graders as you are, Catbert. The early copper market is different from other areas of the U.S. coin market. A lot of those collectors and dealers know more about preservation issues with early copper than your average third party grader.

I was sitting with the guys who sold the Dam Holms collection. If they didn't care for what it said on the slab, they were ready to crack out a coin worth tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    Bill - I did know that. I challenged the need for the sticker. I brought up the SecurePlus holder in response to Ankur's concerns about doctoring and grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is that "dot of metal" just below the ear? >>

That is the center dot punch that the die sinker used to center the placement of the bust and the lettering. It's like the sharp of a compass you would use to draw a circle. Marks like this are often visible on high grade early U.S. coins.

There is one just below Ms. Liberty's ear on this 1795 half dollar.

There is also one in the hair detail of this 1805 dime. Look toward the center of the piece, and you will find it.

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

CoinOsaurus: <<The 1794 is 67RB is my favorite. There is something amazing about any early copper coin with red in it, that sheer rarity can't match.>>

I, too, very much like this coin. I wrote a whole article about it. It does have an amazing amount of original mint red!

The Missouri Half Cent Collection, Part II: Tettenhorst, Superb Gem 1794

BillJones: <<That is the center dot punch that the die sinker used to center the placement of the bust and the lettering. It's like the sharp of a compass you would use to draw a circle. Marks like this are often visible on high grade early U.S. coins. >>

Yes, I have seen such marks on a large number of early U.S. coins. It would take many hours to list them.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly a very special coin in our country's history. Many would like to see it in a museum, but for me that would be very disappointing. I just hope it remains in private hands, which will eventually transfer ownership and stimulate those of us that love this hobby. FWIW: I don't think the US Government should own/hold any rare coins in it's inventory in the Smithsonian. The government as a "coin collector" is offensive to me.

OINK
  • Options
    Thank you for explaining that. I have seen many collections thru auction catologues over the
    last 25 + years and this is the first time I ever noticed these "helpers". Thank you
    once again.
  • Options
    I would be curios to see the grades that an experienced EAC member would grade
    these treasures. I saw that Goldberg's gave their opinion but I would like to see
    the EAC opinion. Maybe in the future the auction companies could hire a member
    for their conservative opinion. Many times NGC and PCGS tend to be gracious with
    their grading. I believe Heritage recently had the opinion of a very knowledgeable
    and highly respected member of EAC to "net grade" a collection.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    The auction will be quite an affair. I am partial to the 96 no-pole but not any chopped liver in there
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin and collection will go down as one of the most noted collections to be sold. IMHO collectors and dealers will site this collection as we do Garrett, Pittman, Norweb and Eliasberg. Missouri only had half cents! WOW WOW WOW
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, but MS-66? That seems a bit generous.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What time (pacific coast time) will the Missouri cabinet collection go on auction?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    10:00 AM PST
    palmer
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re 1811 MS66RB: Will this bring more than that particular '93? I've got an over/under at $1,000,000 all-in on the 1811

Other predictions.

The total realized for the five most expensive lots will top the presale aggregated estimate of approx. $5,000,000 for the entire collection.

The entire sale will bring in $20,000,000.

Laurie will buy something.....image She will also NOT buy something, and then binge on sushi . image

Tett and EPN will share a pint of Breyers vanilla ice-cream VSOP and kvel about their grand-kids.

Plus ca change, plus la meme chose.

And the beat goes on........
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Laura says it's going to be a bloodbath. I will go out on a limb and say the top THREE coins will top the presale estimate.

If the good colonel wants to say two, then he can name that tune. image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the blood start flowing......
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file