Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

More graded paper cutouts. What's going on here?

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone please explain to me how this is different than grading a sheet cut card? At least the sheet cut card is a card. >>

One is hard card stock, the other is thin newspaper stock. That is basically the difference - the weight of the paper.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone please explain to me how this is different than grading a sheet cut card? At least the sheet cut card is a card. >>

I agree they are basically the same thing. I've always thought sheet cut cards should be graded with a qualifier of SC or "SHEET CUT" on the card. I think a qualifier would be the better way to go though. To me a card that was on a sheet and cut out perfectly is a really nice looking card and should be slabbed with a qualifier. The fact it didn't suffer through the same distribution and possible damage that a regular issue card did is what make the SC designation necessary. A sheet cut card is worthy of a slab, however, it should be valued and graded lower than a regular-issue counterpart.

I think PSA should slab nearly everything they are sent with the exception of magazine cuts there were never meant to be cards. I think they should just encapsulate and not authenticate or grade Broders because it opens a whole can of worms. People could just print up cards on their printers and get them graded. Encapsulating them is fine. Grading or authenticating them is not.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    I think someone mentioned using the green label for Broders and unlicensed cards and I think that is a great idea. I asked PSA about that at one point, and was told they wouldn't do that though.

Kevin
  • Options
    The pop report shows 5 PSA 9's of the 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan paper cutout.

3 of the top 6 Nolan Ryan Master Sets on the Registry have this 1966 Sporting News paper cutout registered.
  • Options
    I tried finding the Sporting News that had that Ryan in it, and couldn't find it online for the life of me. I'm betting all these came from the same source. How they got PSA to recognize them as anything is beyond me. They must have provided some sort of documentation. Perhaps PSA made an exception because it was a "pre-rookie" of a very popular player and there was a demand for it. Perhaps the definition of a card isn't the same for all players. I think I would be hard-pressed to get a no name player photo from the same issue authenticated.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm betting all these came from the same source. >>

Possibly. But it appears to be 2 different subs.

These are the cert #'s for the 5 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan paper cutouts graded PSA 9.

21778597 (The Friday Collection on the Registry, pictured below)

21724782 (Greg Bussineau Auction, pictured in the first post of this thread)

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    what's even more hilarious is the back newsprint showing through the paper, essentially distorting the very image which is being declared as part of an overall mint example. they do account for surface flaws, no?

any baseball card with this same print across the front surface would earn no better than a 5.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Quite a conundrum for Mike Perez collectors

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>I'm betting all these came from the same source. >>

You would win that bet.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i> My prediction is if PSA starting promoting the destroying of old publications, if indirectly by grading and registering the cutout pictures, there would be a widespread boycott of PSA/CU, including by many of their their current autograph, coin and comic book customers. Clearly, CU member comic book collectors won't be keen on old illustrated publications being cut up to satisfy the baseball card registry. >>

Don't stop there. I predict total anarchy with riots in the streets.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Nice find Maurice...
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> My prediction is if PSA starting promoting the destroying of old publications, if indirectly by grading and registering the cutout pictures, there would be a widespread boycott of PSA/CU, including by many of their their current autograph, coin and comic book customers. Clearly, CU member comic book collectors won't be keen on old illustrated publications being cut up to satisfy the baseball card registry. >>

Don't stop there. I predict total anarchy with riots in the streets. >>

Det. Thorn: It's people. PSA green flips are made out of people. They're making our flips out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for flips. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Hatcher: I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the exchange.

Det. Thorn: You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! PSA green flips are people! We've gotta stop them somehow!
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    OK, so the next logical step is to expand this cash crop. Can I send them a greeting card from 1975? It's one my wife has saved. It has a copy right date on the back. It's a beautiful card with a wonderful poem. And we also have a Mark McGwire ornament that came with official Hallmark paperwork. And then there are some Disney collectibles and some Precious Moments authenticity sheets. I would also like to see a registry for my Craftsman Tool cards. And my question still has not been answered; if I cut out a Mr Universe weight building ad from a 60's comic book, how do you determine the year (they ran the same ad, unchanged for many years in Marvel, DC, and other magazines such as MAD) and publication?

There just has to be a control to this madness and I suppose there will be an eventual standard, determined by the company or it's customers. Perhaps PSA will listen to the Pros and Cons to make a sound decision. Companies prosper and fail because of their business practices.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Don't stop there. I predict total anarchy with riots in the streets. >>

Det. Thorn: It's people. PSA green flips are made out of people. They're making our flips out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for flips. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Hatcher: I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the exchange.

Det. Thorn: You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! PSA green flips are people! We've gotta stop them somehow! >>

This book thinks you better get that info to the exchange! image

I'm going home - Sol
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite a conundrum for Mike Perez collectors

image >>

LOL! This one needs more love. image
  • Options
    Will they accept screenshots next? Computer print outs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Quite a conundrum for Mike Perez collectors

image >>

LOL! This one needs more love. image >>

Or for Falcone collectors (this is my favorite baseball card of all time...so much ridiculousness going on)

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Finally, some people who feel like I felt when I saw this! we need a response from the Mr. Orlando to clear this up. It does matter a great deal to those of us who collect on a large scale.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Well this is exactly why grading a news paper is so frustrating. I just got this in response to a question I had about grading a 1995 Rugby card. The manufacturer and date are clearly on the card and I provided a scan of the checklist card. A quick google search will show that its a common manufacturer of rugby cards ect... Here is the response I got... It's the same crap I got when asked about the soccer set. Now I fully understand psa won't make a ton of money by grading these... But there has to be more consistency. If the criteria is based on expected volume then just say so so I don't waste my time.

"Unfortunately, the Research Department could not find these cards cataloged anywhere. PSA will not be able to grade these cards. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact customer service."
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    BTW, does anyone know if these cutouts were recently catalogued? (like in Beckett or the Standard Catalog) I usually thought that PSA would only holder cards that were catalogued.
  • Options
    Okay, so I read through all the comments with equal parts of outrage, amusement and confusion.
    After some thought I believe the only logic by which the un-named party was able to convince PSA of the validity of this particular photo as worthy of both a slab (agnostic) and inclusion into the master set (incredulous) is that this photo is pre-rookie card. If this is true then the list of "faces in the crowd" seem to be a potential path by which a few of us can cash in.
    Also, IMO this strategy by PSA is quite shortsighted. They may make a few bucks now, but they demoralize dozens of potential collectors due to delegitimizing everyone's collection and demolishing any sense of permanent completion.
    Let me give you all a small example. Recently, PSA has included two "new" variations in the 1973 topps set consisting of two cards which have a small "gap" in their black border. Obvious this is just a print defect not a true variation as one can find border issues on many cards. Shortly after, 3 individuals decided to sell-off their collection. What is the purpose of building a set if every couple of years someone can now find any variant of a card and claim a new variation?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And at the same time they refuse to slab wrongbacks as variations. What is more of a TRUE variation, when a plate is not changed and cards have another players stats on the reverse or when a "goober" somehow gets on the plate and causes a small amount of ink to be missing?

Seems odd to me.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This appears to be another example of a paper cutout from an old Spalding guide.

1926 Spalding Champions Babe Ruth
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Does not seem to be a card to me or intended to be a card......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why it says "stats back" on the cert. The verbiage on the back has nothing to do with Ruth.
  • Options

<< <i>This appears to be another example of a paper cutout from an old Spalding guide.

1926 Spalding Champions Babe Ruth >>

That's a mechanical error.
  • Options
    What a joke.

They will grade ANYTHING.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    As an avid Ryan collector, I just wanted to add that I do not like this...that is all.

jbox
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a joke.

They will grade ANYTHING. >>

Not true.. They won't grade the following sets I asked about even though I provided albums and/or checklist for each set that clearly dated the set.

1978 Figurita Crack Mundial
    1995 DYNAMIC MARKETING
    2009 Abril Gol Cards
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What a joke.

They will grade ANYTHING. >>

Not true.. They won't grade the following sets I asked about even though I provided albums and/or checklist for each set that clearly dated the set.

1978 Figurita Crack Mundial
    1995 DYNAMIC MARKETING
    2009 Abril Gol Cards >>

I doubt it makes much difference to PSA, but Figurita is not part of the manufacturer or set name on the 78s.
  • Options
    OK -- I'll amend my comment with a qualification or two.

They will grade anything that they feel comfortable grading and, most importantly,
    that money can be made grading.

I don't see how they can actually give these a numeric grade since they haven't published
    anything on their website regarding a grading scale. I would think that they just give it an AUTH
    instead but apparently not.

But what truly is a joke is that now we have guys destroying baseball guides for cut-outs
    and putting outrageous prices on them on eBAY. If somebody wants to pay $439 for one of
    these then P.T. Barnum was really understating his point.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    I can't disagree.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>http://www.gregbussineauauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=8659# >>

The 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 paper cutout in the Greg Bussineau auction now has 3 bids and is up to $750 ($625 plus the 20% buyer's premium).
  • Options
    This auction ends tonight. Still at $750 ($625 + BP).
  • Options
    The 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 paper cutout closed at $750.
  • Options
    I think that might be $749 more than it should have. image
  • Options

<< <i>Multiple people doing something stupid doesn't make it less stupid. In fact, if it raises the price it makes it more stupid. >>

+1

This is a disturbing trend. I really hate to see the dumbing down of the collector community.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options

<< <i>My idle guess is that it was just a one time deal, that PSA may or may not regret in hindsight, and they won't do it again. If so, I'll give them a pass. >>

You can't fault PSA for doing what they can do to make a buck.

I believe that these things are true though:

1) These should never be in a registry set
    2) People that pay big dollars for these are true morons
    3) Ghouls are desecrating old guides, newspapers and even books,
    harvesting anything they can to make a buck and that is a shame
    for collectors past and present of those items.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    Here's an interesting question, if the item simply had a dashed line all around it, would people feel like it was a "card" meant to be cut out even if there were no mention of it being cut out in the newspaper? Does it need some sort of dashed line and also an indication to cut it out or is a dashed line sufficient for it to be considered a "card"? What makes something a card in this case? Perhaps it really is just whether people want to consider it a card. Just like how people consider the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF an error when it is just a print variation that on a common card would be worthless. I guarantee if this were a common player, PSA never would have considered grading it. It is the player depicted that made this an issue.

It appears they have graded these on 2 different occasions given the differences in cert numbers.

Kevin
  • Options
    The winning bidder of the Greg Bussineau auction has listed the 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 cutout on ebay twice.

Current listing (opening bid is $900.00 with a BIN of $1,170.00)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201008700417?orig_cvip=true

Previous listing (opening bid was $1,000.00 with a BIN of $1,300.00)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201005446310?orig_cvip=true
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    They would not holder my naked picture of Lisa from my Senior yearbook. They said it was trimmed. They even doubted the authenticity......I told them "Believe me...it's real".image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    They graded my 1990 SCD cut outs, but would not grade the 89s from Baseball Card Mag. Makes no sense. These were in the same sub.

....but they grade a newspaper clipping. Smh.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I am so confused... :

First why PSA would grade this .. this is from a newspaper right ?

Second why someone would pay that much

Third why someone would pay that much to flip it for a profit on eBay
  • Options
    The winning bidder of the Greg Bussineau auction listed the 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 cutout on ebay for the 3rd time.

And it sold for $1,170.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201012634337?orig_cvip=true
  • Options
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the buyer was the smart one. Nice flip. image

• Options

<< <i>I guess the buyer was the smart one. Nice flip. image >>

I guess so!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    just another chapter in The Book Of WTF?
  • Options
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to see the original Sporting News, minus the paper cutout put on Ebay! Talk about maximizing profits!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to see the original Sporting News, minus the paper cutout put on Ebay! Talk about maximizing profits! >>

Here you go.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)