Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• lmao anyone who spends more than 3 dollars on that is an idiot

• << <i>lmao anyone who spends more than 3 dollars on that is an idiot >>

Someone is willing to pay $600 for it. There's a $500 bid (plus the 20% buyer's premium).

• Wouldn't the whole newspaper be more valuable than a clipped image?
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty much a newspaper clipping right?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    nah. think i'd still rather throw good money at unlicensed Puig or Tyler Toffoli's artwork.
  • Link to previous related discussion: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=902378

I don't understand why paper cutouts are being graded.

I thought an item needed to be identified in a price guide (SCD, Beckett, etc.) to be graded.

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ah. well, once somebody floods the market with phony paper cutout reprints, that'll be that.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember all those NASA graded "cards" that hit ebay many years back? They were all vintage magazines, guides and such that has been cut apart. They were being slabbed with designations like "rookie" and such on these cutouts! not to mention they were all by one seller and all had 10 grades. people were buying them though, that was the painful to watch part.

I maintain that unless an item was specifically meant and designed to be cut out to be saved/collected (dotted lines/perforations/bubblegum less, etc), and those typically were recognized as collector sets already with some exceptions, then it is simply a random picture clipped from a periodical.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both examples (cutouts) were very recently graded, too.

$500 for that clipping is just foolish, no matter what holder it's in.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm personally a fan of them slabbing anything that fits and that they are competent enough to identify and authenticate. People collect anything and everything. BUT, I'm not a big fan of the registry anyway, so none of the registry implications of adding new types of stuff to player sets really concerns me much.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Link to previous related discussion: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=902378

I don't understand why paper cutouts are being graded.

I thought an item needed to be identified in a price guide (SCD, Beckett, etc.) to be graded. >>

EXACTLY! I have gone round and round arguing with PSA over cards made by Topps in the 1960's that they have refused to grade even with proof (price guide or article ), yet they are going to grade THIS?

Better start buying old newspaper sport sections!

Edited to add That item is also not licensed, no logo on cap. Who makes these decisions? Registry or not let's show some consistency please.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • I wish I could say I can't believe my eyes.

Eric
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Somebody owes somebody an apology and a pair of shoes.......
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Didn't PRO Grading grade this kind of stuff?

I never thought Psa would. This has to be a mistake that someone missed. I cannot believe Psa would intentionally start
    grading newspaper cut outs. They should not. They are not identified as cards in SCD. $500 is dumb but if you add this
    to a master player registry some people might go nuts on it especially thinking it is in a major auction house and they
    don't even know what they are chasing after.

I'm glad I never got into the master player sets.

Psa needs to get these off the market or give some type of explanation at why we are seeing these graded now.

aconte
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Wow.. Talk about frustrating. I ask to get a lot of oddball stuff graded but they are all actual cards atleast... Just odd sports but get rejected for no good reason.. Grading a newspaper clipping is completely ridiculous. Does this mean I can sub a clipping of me in little league that was on my mothers refrigerator and get it it slabbed in a red flip and start my own player registry.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    This belongs in a GREEN flip. They should address this ASAP before someone wastes a lot of money.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    LMFAO @ the newspaper clipping!
    I think the only thing that would make that any funnier would be if the flip addressed the "Earl Lawson" back!! I'm dying over here!
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed that PSA would do this. So PSA is saying every single photo that was ever included in a magazine or newspaper is a card? If Joe Orlando needs to weigh in on anything on these boards, I think it would be this issue. A set registry that includes broders and any magazine/newspaper clipping is just plain stupid.

I didn't like the 70's wrestling newsprint "cards" when they were shared here and perhaps that was the gateway to this madness.

I would understand it if PSA differentiated between cards and newspaper clippings. Fair enough. Slab away. Just don't call them cards! Never in a million years are they the same thing.

-Nathanael
  • "...Never in a million years are they the same thing..."

Well, the have at least one thing in common.

Eric
  • Am a fan of anything getting slabbed - but if what I thnk I read here in another thread that things like newspaper clippings are being included in player registry sets - well that's just sacrilegious. The end to society as far as registry sets go.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this shouldn't be included in any registry sets. I really don't see why they should be slabbed honestly.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow.. Talk about frustrating. I ask to get a lot of oddball stuff graded but they are all actual cards atleast... Just odd sports but get rejected for no good reason.. Grading a newspaper clipping is completely ridiculous. Does this mean I can sub a clipping of me in little league that was on my mothers refrigerator and get it it slabbed in a red flip and start my own player registry. >>

I get frustrated seeing this because I have had a whole lot of European-issue cards, that may seem like oddball items to some but are actually major productions from legitimate companies that are/were heavily distributed & traded, get N9's when subbed for grading, while a newspaper photo clipping gets a slab. This comparison doesn't seem quite fair to me at times.

• I don't get it but someone did a really nice job cutting that out.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    If there is a demand for it, why not?

What are the negatives?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    The negatives are, it is not a card. Next thing you know, ever little picture of a ball player in a newspaper clipping is going to be cut out.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Well, they already grade buttons, stamps, packs, etc, so there is a precedent to grade things other than cards.

Is an accurately labelled newspaper cutout really so different (playing devil's advocate here).

Capecards
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If there is a demand for it, why not?

What are the negatives? >>

I see your point. In fact to a certain extent I could agree with it. However when I tried to get the card pictured below added, I was told it didn't qualify for either Killebrew or Oliva sets, even though there are Killebrew and Oliva "singles" from this set in the respective registry sets.

One of the reasons they gave was no player name was printed on the front. Other times items have been refused because the do not appear in any publication or price guide. If the Ryan item shown by the OP is allowed to be graded (at least two are needed I think) it is eligible for inclusion in the Ryan registry.

You might not care about the registry, but a lot of people are having a lot of fun (and spending tons of money) with it. If you start putting in newspaper clippings you are going to open up the floodgates and kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am amazed that PSA would do this. So PSA is saying every single photo that was ever included in a magazine or newspaper is a card? If Joe Orlando needs to weigh in on anything on these boards, I think it would be this issue. A set registry that includes broders and any magazine/newspaper clipping is just plain stupid.

I didn't like the 70's wrestling newsprint "cards" when they were shared here and perhaps that was the gateway to this madness.

I would understand it if PSA differentiated between cards and newspaper clippings. Fair enough. Slab away. Just don't call them cards! Never in a million years are they the same thing.

-Nathanael >>

There is a huge difference in the 1973 annual handcut cards and a random photo in a newspaper clipping. The 1973s were intended to be cut out and had a matching biography on the back of the card. I have no problem with an item slabbed that was intended to be cut and collected but do not think that any picture in a magazine to be slabbed....Here is my old Andre card.

Andre the Giant, a true legendary wrestler and a piece of Americana
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is another example with a cutout card but there are lines and the card is numbered with the name of the wrestler. Does not have a matching biography on back but still this was intended to be cut and collected and is very different than a slabbed picture from a magazine.

image[/URL]
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started purchasing wrestling cards in 2009 I set out to buy all kinds of the sets from the 70's and 80's. When I received the 1978 Wrestling Annual Magazine in the mail and realized the cards were indeed newspaper print I was admittedly disappointed.

I was the first to cut them up and offer them as singles and they did pretty well and I was very nervous that even though I had made it very clear that they were paper cards that when they were received someone would have an issue with them. Fortunately none did and everyone was happy with them. I decided at that time I was not interested in them and a year or so later is when PSA began to grade them.

I think the one major difference between the wrestling paper cards is that the magazines themselves call them trading cards and they are numbered with a bio back. The example that Maurice posted has a news story from the next page on it and really has no resemblance to a trading card.

I am really agnostic to the issue as I can see both sides of the argument and personally for my own collection only have an interest in harder paper stock items. I like seeing PSA grade more items and perhaps as others mentioned it could be graded but not referred to as a card.

This does seem like an interesting topic where Joe himself could weigh in and I would be interested to see his response.
  • Can these paper cuts, of many different compositions, papers, inks...just be jammed into an existing grade system designed for something else? In coins, grading standards vary considerably for each coin of each date for each mint mark. Not all understand that.

Eric
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't PRO Grading grade this kind of stuff?

I never thought Psa would. This has to be a mistake that someone missed. I cannot believe Psa would intentionally start
    grading newspaper cut outs. They should not. They are not identified as cards in SCD. $500 is dumb but if you add this
    to a master player registry some people might go nuts on it especially thinking it is in a major auction house and they
    don't even know what they are chasing after.

I'm glad I never got into the master player sets.

Psa needs to get these off the market or give some type of explanation at why we are seeing these graded now.

aconte >>

Hi Tony

I remember this grading company graded "cut out" stuff about 10 years ago.

Mike
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    OK, I have 20-25 baseball bat and glove adds framed from old magazines. I'm gonna cut 'em out and send them in for grading. I just need to know who determines the size and what magazine they are from. Many have multiple HOFer's so can I request what registry they will be a part of? Would love to have PSA respond so I can get them cut and sent before logic works it's way into this part of the hobby.

Edit:spelling
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>Didn't PRO Grading grade this kind of stuff?
    >>

No, PRO only graded authentic collector cards, they did tend to overgrade and also grade trimmed cards but every single card they graded was a true collector card unlike this Ryan POS!

PSA has now sunk as low as those garage scammer of yesteryear ie NASA, etc..... add them to that long list of scam slabers now

greedy company! and you clowns keep on tossing them your $$$
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I don't see a problem with any of this. It might just be me.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • SI faces in the crowd could make for some awesome pre rookies.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SI faces in the crowd could make for some awesome pre rookies.
    image >>

SLAB IT!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    This whole thread is much ado about nothing.

If someone wants to pay PSA to encapsulate a legitimate (and by this I mean non-fraudulent, outside of what people may think has merit or not) sports related item or picture of a sports player, that is between PSA and that person. If then, another person wants to pay $600.00 for said item, that's between the seller and that person. Nobody else has any input, period. If you don't like it, don't want it and don't find value in it - don't buy it.

With regard to the set registry, I agree that these items which are clearly not a card by any stretch of the imagination should not be allowed to have an impact on the calculation of the percentage of completion or grade. If they want to list them in the bottom of the registry in red, have a ball. If one actually does get added as a part of a player's registry I could understand the concern and would even join in voicing my opinion against it. Is there an example of one having ever been added to the registry, ever?

<< <i>Edited to add That item is also not licensed, no logo on cap. Who makes these decisions? Registry or not let's show some consistency please. >>

There are many slabbed items without the team logo, this is because they were licensed by the player's association and not the MLB. Missing logo does not guarantee it is unlicensed and in fact makes it more likely that they did have approval from the player's association to use their image, in my opinion.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Some pretty big names here

Sports Illustrated Famous Faces in the Crowd
    Jack Nicklaus September 2, 1957
    Elgin Baylor February 10, 1958
    Lew Alcindor (later Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) April 27, 1964
    Rollie Fingers September 14, 1964
    Terry Bradshaw April 11, 1966
    Bill Walton January 26, 1970
    Earvin Johnson May 23, 1977
    Don Mattingly July 16, 1979
    Herschel Walker September 10, 1979
    Spud Webb May 24, 1982
    Darrell Green July 5, 1982
    Vince Coleman July 12, 1982
    Emmitt Smith January 13, 1986
    John Olerud August 15, 1988
    Tiger Woods Sept. 24, 1990
    Vince Carter February 13, 1995
    Paul Pierce April 24, 1995
    Ben Roethlisberger December 6, 1999
    Joe Mauer December 25, 2000
  • We should ask Joe Orlando if there are any future limits on what PSA will grade and perhaps
    for some clarification on what their policy is now.

Disregarding human body parts, it doesn't appear likely that there are many limitations planned.

As long as they don't pollute the registry with these kinds of items then PSA collectors by and
    large won't care.

Personally I abhor the destruction for grading purposes of magazines, books and other
    paper items and ephmera, but that's been going on for a long time whether graded or not,
    and the crime is committed by the person the cutting and not by PSA.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis

<< <i>I don't see a problem with any of this. It might just be me. >>

I see 2 problem.. 1) there is no quantitative criteria as to what they will catelogue, grade and slab. By grading this they are essentially saying the will grade any picture with a border... Yet cards like this get rejected even though they are licensed and weird... Actual trading cards Abril Gol Cards this is what annoys me...

Problem 2 is for the registry folks. This opens the do to virtually any picture with a border be a potential addition. This is just dumb IMO and has to be a mistake by psa. They should address it and void the serial number. This is what the green label is for
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    So this is why the subs are so backed up, the graders have to comb decades of newspapers to find the source of the box of scraps someone submitted.

Will they now be grading microfiche also?
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This whole thread is much ado about nothing.

If someone wants to pay PSA to encapsulate a legitimate (and by this I mean non-fraudulent, outside of what people may think has merit or not) sports related item or picture of a sports player, that is between PSA and that person. If then, another person wants to pay $600.00 for said item, that's between the seller and that person. Nobody else has any input, period. If you don't like it, don't want it and don't find value in it - don't buy it.

With regard to the set registry, I agree that these items which are clearly not a card by any stretch of the imagination should not be allowed to have an impact on the calculation of the percentage of completion or grade. If they want to list them in the bottom of the registry in red, have a ball. If one actually does get added as a part of a player's registry I could understand the concern and would even join in voicing my opinion against it. Is there an example of one having ever been added to the registry, ever?

<< <i>Edited to add That item is also not licensed, no logo on cap. Who makes these decisions? Registry or not let's show some consistency please. >>

There are many slabbed items without the team logo, this is because they were licensed by the player's association and not the MLB. Missing logo does not guarantee it is unlicensed and in fact makes it more likely that they did have approval from the player's association to use their image, in my opinion. >>

Well said. If these were included as a registry set requirement, there may be cause for alarm.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    It's concerning to me because I have had several legitimate cards that just weren't in a reference book they had so they were rejected. I don't have an issue with sale... What someone is willing to pay is none of my business. I'm just trying to understand the logic PSA uses when trying to determine if something is eligible to be slabbed of not.
  • Who can say, but I sure have an idea.

Eric

• << <i>I'm just trying to understand the logic PSA uses when trying to determine if something is eligible to be slabbed of not. >>

We all are because it's not very clear.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis

• When I go to my bank I do not listen to the financial adviser because they do not have my interests first.

Eric
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 99% sure that I happened up the 1982 Montreal News "cards". I did a blog entry a while back. These are listed (or at least were) listed in the major annual guides. These are definitely not in the same class as bubblegumless cards that I have seen elsewhere and also featured in this thread. These are magazine articles with a color photo of the player featured in the article. The photos aren't even the same size across the checklist and I don't believe they were ever really intended to be cut out as collectibles, yet they are listed as cards!

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2010/03/garvey-spotlight-march-4.html

On the flip side, these items are not cataloged as far as I have seen. They are dotted, which is basically asking you to cut them out into smaller pieces as collectibles. the only flaw with these is that the backs are just a regular page of the magazine. Some may have had ads, others articles, yet others larger photos. The fronts look great, but the backs look like they were randomly cut from a magazine (which they were).

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/Sportmania5.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/Sportmania1.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/Sportmania2.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/Sportmania3.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/Sportmania4.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/STEVE GARVEY STUFF/GarveySportmania1.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/STEVE GARVEY STUFF/GarveySportmania2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

• << <i>This whole thread is much ado about nothing. >>

You obviously don't understand the problem.

The bottom line is...

PSA is the industry's leading grading and authentication company.

Grading paper cutouts cheapens the brand.