Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it a good investment: America the Beautiful 5oz - The mint uncirculated collector coins

CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
Is it a good investment: America the Beautiful 5oz - The mint uncirculated collector coins ( NOT the dealer bullion coins ). image

Is the low mintage because not very many people want them ?image

I'm new in this direction but I prefer the appearance of the mint versions over the bullion:

And ordered this one: image

2013 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ - Mount Rushmore National Memorial, South Dakota (NQ9)

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

Comments

• Options
    Obviously, I know what that is, but those do look like two gunshots in glass IMHO.

Eric
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the DMPL bullion version.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the low mintages for these coins will be the last three 2012 issues - Hawaii, Acadia and Denali. Mintages appear to be trending upward for the 2013 coins, so I expect their fortunes will be somewhat tied to the price of silver.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it a good investment >>

I don't know, but I do know that you have the most interesting pics.
    And I mean that in a good way.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the price of silver shoots up, those things could be a good investment. If not, all bets are off. Most modern U.S. Mint commemoratives have not been good investments.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    No, those are not a good investment.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to guess that for investment purposes, if you are thinking silver will go up,
    buy as close to melt as possible

ie, the bullion
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the grand kids or their grand kids will appreciate them and see some price appreciation.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if silver goes to $50/oz would it be a good investment.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only for stacking silver.... numismatically, they will not be a good investment. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    They never will be worth less than face!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They never will be worth less than face! >>

I sure hope not!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I suspect that the large size will keep them from getting a lot of collector interest in the future but no one knows for sure.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only if silver goes to $50/oz would it be a good investment. >>

I would love to buy 10 of these when Silver goes back down into the $9-$12 range. I do not know if that will happen or not, but that would definitely be when I would want to start buying them!
  • Options
    In my humble opinion, not every coin purchase has to be for investment purposes. I'm collecting the P mintmark issues because I like the designs. I'm not counting on them being a good investment but with their low mintages it would not surprise me if they appreciate in value.

• Options
    I wonder what a Dansco album of these would look like and how much it would weigh.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They never will be worth less than face! >>

It's hard to see these as good investments at the moment, but as mentioned, not every purchase needs to be an investment.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Early gold and early copper is a good investment in my opinion.

Edit to add: seeing how much you enjoy these, that is the true return on investment.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets not forget when these first came out silver was over 40 a ounce, some of the early ones from the mint I thought were 250 or higher? So With Silver down to 21 bucks a ounce and these cost 160 best to double down now and when and If silver goes back to 40 or above there is a small profit. These are cheap compared to the prices of some I have bought...plus certain ones like the current one, is a park that I have been too. I predict this one will be a Sellout...........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect that the large size will keep them from getting a lot of collector interest in the future but no one knows for sure. >>

Collectors like big coins. Morgan dollars are more popular than silver 3 cent coins. Saints are more popular than gold dollars or quarter eagles. Etc.
    The 5 oz ATB's are by far the biggest U.S. legal tender coin ever produced by the U.S. Mint and they are comparable in size to most medals.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally a good investment? No, not as a numismatic item (I had a few and sold them....still have a few of the bullion pieces that I haven't decided what to do with them).

The price of silver was such, when they came out, that it made them very expensive to have "for fun". Not that collectible as not easily displayed/stored, nor any real history with them.
    As the price of silver continues downward, and perhaps stays low enough that the purchase price of these is more realistic, then the mintages may well go up, which they appear to be doing and, at some point, people may decide to get the whole set and need the lower mintage ones. That could cause a spike in their price and make them a better "investment".

That said, opportunity cost of what you could have purchased if you sold these now/earlier makes them unlikely to be considered a "good investment", imho

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not a good investment, but it's a great coin for the hobbyist who needs a loupe to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I suspect that the large size will keep them from getting a lot of collector interest in the future but no one knows for sure. >>

Collectors like big coins. Morgan dollars are more popular than silver 3 cent coins. Saints are more popular than gold dollars or quarter eagles. Etc.
    The 5 oz ATB's are by far the biggest U.S. legal tender coin ever produced by the U.S. Mint and they are comparable in size to most medals. >>

Collectors do like those dollars but my theory is that there is not a straight line correlation to size and popularity. At some point you have diminishing returns. When the hatch on the safe deposit box is too small for the hub cap then Houston, we got a problem.
  • Options

Sorry to say, I have some BUT I don't can't think of them as "A COIN" . . . in my mind they are just Silver!!

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 7:36PM

For some reason, I miss icons like these. I think they made the forums a bit more fun.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    For some reason, I miss icons like these. I think they made the forums a bit more fun.

You only miss them because you disappeared for 6 months

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 8:42PM

@bronco2078 said:

@Zoins said:

You only miss them because you disappeared for 6 months

I actually didn't miss any reactions on the hiatus. I'm not one that counts or starts threads about trying to get more reactions.

It's only when I'm on the forum and see the icon that I remember them.

They are just more fun to look at than the one we have now.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

These are about as troublesome as a stack of Concrete Blocks. Big, heavy, IN THE WAY. BUT.... I keep them because well, one day I might need a couple... for something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file