Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Keeping coins in their old holders or...

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ive got a few coins that have been graded many years ago and are in their respective holders. Some of them, in my opinion, are upgrade candidates. Is there any real advantage of keeping coins in the old holders versus rolling the dice and sending them back in for potential upgrade. Are there collectors that prefer the coins in their OGH or fatty holders that would pay a premium for the coins?

Comments

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I have had so much more success cracking them out and sending them in raw. That is if you are confident in your grading skills.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    If you are not planning to sell them anytime soon better to wait and see what is pefered when you are going to sell. Whats current will be the old style soon enough.

I prefer the old style pcgs holder to the new pronged one. Would I pay more for the same coin in a older holder? yes but not much. More to do with what the coin looks like than the holder.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would keep it in the old holder and try for a gold sticker from CAC. In most cases it doesn't really help to crack them out, unless there is a HUGE upside. Usually the gold sticker will add quite a premium above whatever the grade on the holder states.

I am willing to pay a premium for OGH's and old fatties if I like the coin and the holder. Send me a pm and I'll try to take some off your hands!
  • Options
    Personally I would leave them in the old holders.

No point in paying the additional grading fees.

You can always try for the gold CAC sticker.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had so much more success cracking them out and sending them in raw. That is if you are confident in your grading skills. >>

Beware hubris! image
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Prefer to keep the old holders and go for a sticker, pay a premium depending on the coin image
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with keeping coins in old holders. I'm more after the coin than the holder anyways though.

Exception being, if the coin needs "conservation"... In that case, I'd crack that sucker out and clean it up, or have someone else do it if it's a touchy job.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there collectors that prefer the coins in their OGH or fatty holders that would pay a premium for the coins? >>

Yes there are. Many collectors feel more comfortable buying coins in older holders since there is a lower chance the coin will "turn". If the coin still appears to be problem free in an old holder, it most likely will stay that way.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    It depends on the coin and the value of the next grade up. If the value is great, crack it out an resubmit. If the value is marginal keep it in the older holder and sticker to get to most liquidity.

That said, I normaly crack NGC holder no matter the generation (except black) but hold OGHs.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Are there collectors that prefer the coins in their OGH or fatty holders that would pay a premium for the coins? >>

Yes there are collectors that will pay a prem for a nice coin in an older holder. This varies between series but in my case a copper coin in an OGH or fattie that has good color and is at least solid for the grade I will pay more for. The peace of mind that a copper coin has not turned is worth the prem for me.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always investigate before cracking..... many here collect the holder not the coin....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    If by new holder you mean SecurePlus which includes fingerprint and surface sniffer scan, then I would say some collectors feel more comfortable with that. Especially if there is toning of any sort
  • Options

<< <i>If by new holder you mean SecurePlus which includes fingerprint and surface sniffer scan, then I would say some collectors feel more comfortable with that. Especially if there is toning of any sort >>

Speaking of which; does anybody else notice how scarce the early in production dark blue Metallic SP holders are? I have only seen a few total which is a shame because I find them to be exceedingly attractive.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently getting premiums for choice coins in old holders and without stickers. There are some experienced collectors who are shunning the tab holders and of course many who don't care.
    As always, the coin will speak for itself if the buyer is informed.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some collectors think that old PCGS or NGC holder = conservatively graded or under graded. That sometimes the case, but certainly not always. As time goes on that because less true as many of the truly under graded pieces get re-graded.

As for whether or not a crack them out if you do decide to submit them for potentially higher grades, the better way to do that is the crack them out and submit them raw. I know that involves a risk, but to me submitting the coins in the holders usually gets you no where except a quantity of money poorer.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that I like the coin, I pay more for OGHs. Sometimes I buy nice coins in OGHs that I might not otherwise buy. I am not the only one.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for whether or not a crack them out if you do decide to submit them for potentially higher grades, the better way to do that is the crack them out and submit them raw. I know that involves a risk, but to me submitting the coins in the holders usually gets you no where except a quantity of money poorer. >>

I honestly think this is terrible advice to give anyone other than a very experienced or knowledgeable collector, even more so now that PCGS offers the Reconsideration service.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for whether or not a crack them out if you do decide to submit them for potentially higher grades, the better way to do that is the crack them out and submit them raw. I know that involves a risk, but to me submitting the coins in the holders usually gets you no where except a quantity of money poorer. >>

I honestly think this is terrible advice to give anyone other than a very experienced or knowledgeable collector, even more so now that PCGS offers the Reconsideration service. >>

Perhaps we should take a poll and find out how many collectors have ever gotten an upgrade when they submitted a coin for an ungrade in a holder. All I ever hear around here are complains that they have submitted coins in an NGC holder to PCGS and have ended up with down grades or a decline for an upgrade.

I'll admit that I have never submitted a coin for an upgrade in a holder. I have always cracked them out. My percentages have been pretty high (over 90%), but then again I have not done that for more than ten or twelve pieces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only correct answer is that "it depends".

Like with many things, when the risk is higher, the potential reward is too.

If you are the proud owner of a new coin that spent a year or two on the "show circuit" in the hands of a dozen different dealers, your chances of cracking it and getting an upgrade aren't terribly high. Knowledgable folks with a good eye (who do this for a living, full-time) can scan the majority of the offerings on a a large bourse floor in a day or two.

If the coin came to you straight from an individual who held it for the past 15 years, the chances of an upgrade are much better.

If you don't know how to grade, at least a little, don't bother trying in either scenario. You're probably better off putting all your money on black at the roulette table. Random upgrades can and do happen, but when it comes to the chances for a big payout, most of those opportunities go to people with enough background knowledge to make it a reasonable risk.

When it comes to Bill's question, I've scored a few plus grades on resubmissions. I've had a couple of rattler crackout coins jump a grade-and-a-half (MS63 --> MS64+), but these weren't terribly rare or expensive coins to start with. To date, what I've "earned" in upgrades has covered the grading fees, or perhaps even a little more. The most expensive coin I've cracked out was worth maybe $200. My ability to predict what the green-bean people are going to think about a particular coin is virtually zero.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps we should take a poll and find out how many collectors have ever gotten an upgrade when they submitted a coin for an ungrade in a holder. All I ever hear around here are complains that they have submitted coins in an NGC holder to PCGS and have ended up with down grades or a decline for an upgrade.

I'll admit that I have never submitted a coin for an upgrade in a holder. I have always cracked them out. My percentages have been pretty high (over 90%), but then again I have not done that for more than ten or twelve pieces. >>

I think the important point here is that you are a very, very experienced collector / former dealer and thus would know which coins to crack out and which ones to never crack out. I do not know if the OP is at this same level; if he is not, this approach is fraught with peril.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very few times I've tried either the cross over or crack out game, I came out further behind. To me, it's not worth
    the extra hassle and expense. Never tried the sticker game.
    If you are trying to get an extra point for a registry set coin you own, or planning on selling, then maybe it's worth to you.
    But I keep them as-is, including those blatant upgrade coins, as well as a number of very conservatively graded large cents in the old
    ANACS small white holders. Perhaps if I ever decide to get serious about selling any of those, I'll try resubmitting - or just let Heritage
    handle it for me image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file