Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

IF there IS a player already in the HOF that did Steroids it is....

Expanding upon the theme of the day I thought this would be interesting. I read it in the other thread and I have to admit this is always the player that has come to mind as I've thought back. Sorry to his fans and collectors, but if I was forced to put money on one name I'd have to say that name is:

Rickey
I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!

Comments

• Options
    Anyone succesful and with a lot of muscles
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Personally I would say Nolan Ryan.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Reggie
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, I would pick Ripken Jr
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625

<< <i>Personally I would say Nolan Ryan. >>

Blasphemy !
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I had to guess, I would pick Ripken Jr >>

Just wondering, what makes you say this?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Both Rickey and Reggie were with the Oakland teams as veterans when Mcgwire and Canseco were the young
    They were also the first two baseball players I remember who looked like Lex Luger and Sid Vicious

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I wouldn't doubt if all of the above used it is one form or another. Most guys to build muscle ... Ripken possibly to quicken the repairing of damaged muscle (HGH ala Pettitte?). Not saying any of them did ... just saying I would not be surprised.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    No doubt in my mind that Henderson was a user.
  • Options
    George Brett
    Rickey Henderson
    Reggie Jackson
    Nolan Ryan
    Mike Schmidt
    Carlton Fisk
    Dave Winfield
    Gary Carter
    Robin Yount

are players I am pretty sure juiced , but I guarantee its is most players from 70s to 90s in the hall of fame
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzie Smith?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Surely Phil Rizzuto and Pee Wee Reese did. Actually, not many know this but his teammates called him Big Daddy Reese.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    If these performance enhacing drugs had been available in the 40s and 50s its quite likely that many of the HOF players of the era, such as even Mickey Mantle, may have tried them also.
  • Options

<< <i>If these performance enhacing drugs had been available in the 40s and 50s its quite likely that many of the HOF players of the era, such as even Mickey Mantle, may have tried them also. >>

agreed
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Babe Ruth had moobs soooo id go with babe ruth
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Babe Ruth had moobs soooo id go with babe ruth >>

I was going to post a picture of HOT DOGS and say THIS is what gave DA BABE DA MOOBS. So I went into Google Images and typed in "hot dog sign 1920s". SIX of the first SIXTEEN images were of Babe Ruth! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I don't think the list is quite that large
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Puckett
    Rickey
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any of the people that have been named had a serious change in body type. Henderson was a football and track star.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think any of the people that have been named had a serious change in body type. Henderson was a football and track star. >>

You dont know steroids then, a change in body type is not why athletes use steroids. Its recovery and strength not muscle gain. Muscle gain can only be gained from eating to get big.
  • Options
    To me players that hang around and are unusually productive into there late 30's and early 40's stick out as possibilities. Ryan was blowing heat by hitters till the very end just like The Rocket. Feeding everyone the I have a workout regiment that keeps me young crap. As far as Rip......8000 plus consecutive innings at first would be one thing but short??? Just makes you wonder.... Doesn't prove anything
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Users or Abusers? I think many may have before there was a policy around it. Initially, wasn't it seemingly around the science of the body, building muscle and strength, and reducing recovery times? (I'm asking not stating as fact)

I don't take much issue with those. But once there was a policy categorizing those players are "cheaters", then all the subterfuge of getting around this substance and that substance and staying a step ahead of the testers, and using others urine, and the like...in other words, knowingly beating or cheating the system, that's where I have my biggest problems. If you have to think about getting caught, chances are you're up to no good.

To answer the OP's question though, I too would go with Rickey.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I have always thought Puckett. Era, body, dramatic increase in power year to year, rage issues.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chasing Nolan Ryan

"During his 1999 Hall of Fame induction speech, Nolan Ryan credited pitching coach Tom House:

<< <i>While I was [with the Rangers] I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House. And Tom and I are of the same age and Tom is a coach that is always on the cutting edge. And I really enjoyed our association together and he would always come up with new training techniques that we would try and see how they would work in to my routine. And because of our friendship and Tom pushing me, I think I got in the best shape of my life during the years that I was with the Rangers. >>

House has admitted to using steroids in the 1970s, making him one of the earliest players to admit to using performance-enhancing drugs. In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, he described his use of steroids as “a failed experiment”, although he increased from around 190 pounds to around 220 while using them. He viewed the experience as a failure since the extra muscle did not enhance his substandard 82-MPH fastball, while the drugs contributed to knee problems, eventually necessitating a total of seven operations. He claims to have stopped using them after learning about the potential long-term effects of steroid use in college classes during the off-season.

House has stated that “six or seven” pitchers on every major league staff in the 1970s were “fiddling” with steroids or HGH. He attributes players’ willingness to experiment with performance-enhancing substances to the permissiveness of the drug culture of the 1960s, and he believes that steroid use has declined in major league baseball since the 1970s, as players have become more aware of the potential long-term drawbacks."
  • Options
    This thread is depressing me!
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Kind of surprised no one mentioned Eckersley yet.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Not that I am accusing him, but Nolan Ryan does seem like a reasonable candidate. The guy was throwing just as hard at 45 as he was at 25. He also got much thicker looking through time, just like Clemens.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Not that I am accusing him, but Nolan Ryan does seem like a reasonable candidate. The guy was throwing just as hard at 45 as he was at 25. He also got much thicker looking through time, just like Clemens. >>

Ryan came to mind first for me as well, and anyone thinking there's no guys in the hall already who didn't juice is just fooling themselves. Reggie Jackson would be a likely candidate as well.
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is depressing me! >>

+1
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread is depressing me! >>

+1 >>

I would go with Rickey, Ryan, Puckett. In that order.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Ryan never had a huge drop-off, only to miraculously turn it around in his early 40s, as Clemens did. I say no to Ryan using PEDs. He was just a freak of nature who was consistently great all the way to his second to last season... and then it was over and he retired. Henderson, Puckett and Molitor are my choices. I would bet the farm that Henderson used and Puckett is as good a candidate as any, especially after seeing what came out after his death. Molitor, well...
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting analysis that someone wrote regarding odds on the HOFer who took steroids:

Link

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that there are plenty . . .

If I had to pick one it would be Roberto Alomar.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    next year - Frank Thomas

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Not that I am accusing him, but Nolan Ryan does seem like a reasonable candidate. The guy was throwing just as hard at 45 as he was at 25. He also got much thicker looking through time, just like Clemens. >>

everyone is naturally bigger at 45 then 25. People can eat the same amount at 45 and still gain weight. I personally gained 20-30 pounds in that 20 years. if i lifted and tried i probably could have gained 50 lbs all natural. I get sick when i see my 25 year old pictures of my natural 6 pack and muscle tone without lifting ! makes me sick to think i could eat anything and stay cut at 25. ffffffffffffff now, i just got a keg . blah
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    everyone is naturally bigger at 45 then 25

I understand that, but those were the very arguments, before any "proof" was brought to light, about why Clemens or Bonds were obviously on steroids.
  • Options

<< <i>everyone is naturally bigger at 45 then 25

I understand that, but those were the very arguments, before any "proof" was brought to light, about why Clemens or Bonds were obviously on steroids. >>

steroids do not make you bigger
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an interesting analysis that someone wrote regarding odds on the HOFer who took steroids:

Link >>

Didn't see anything interesting and the author did not say anything about what the odds are that a current player in the Hall-of-Fame ever took steroids. But we can come up with our own odds. The article lists 29 players, there have been four more since then. If each of them have only a 2% chance of ever having used steroids, the chance that any one of them ever did is 51%
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think any of the people that have been named had a serious change in body type. Henderson was a football and track star. >>

Has any football star or track star ever taken steroids?
  • Options

<< <i>

I understand that, but those were the very arguments, before any "proof" was brought to light, about why Clemens or Bonds were obviously on steroids. >>

steroids do not make you bigger >>

You aren't getting anything over on anyone by proclaiming 'steroids don't make you bigger, they only help a person work out'. We KNOW that.

So tired of hearing that inane argument that no one ever denies but is relentlessly brought by people who believe they are the only ones who know it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

steroids do not make you bigger >>

You aren't getting anything over on anyone by proclaiming 'steroids don't make you bigger, they only help a person work out'. We KNOW that.

So tired of hearing that inane argument that no one ever denies but is relentlessly brought by people who believe they are the only ones who know it. >>

the problem is people see Mcguire or Bonds and make the dumb remark because they got big they used steroids. NO STEROIDS DID NOT MAKE THEM BIG.
    If you want to point fingers at athletes using steroids do not make the assumption that because they are not swolle they are not using steroids. I know marathon runners who are feather weight who juice. Its in all sports. I would say every major league athlete in any sport juices or cheats today in one way or the other. You can never make to an elite level without doing so. Its a fact. If everyone else is juicing no matter how good you are you are not going to make it. sorry.

For MLB to deny Mcguire or Bonds but allow players like Ryan or Ripken is two faced and scape goating. MLB still has a problem , its no longer steroids , it hgh another synthentic drugs and blood doping thats almost impossible to trace.

So if you want to really keep Bonds or Clemens out than Throw out Nolan Ryan and the likes. You cannot pick and choose, you either accept it as part of professional sports or demand they all be thrown out.

Steroids for athletes have been around since the 50s how far back are we going to go . Was Aaron juicing ? Maybe , we will never know. Every one of them is a liar too. Only one that was honest was Jose Canseco and he was crucified for it.
  • Options
    Way to completely ignore my point. Just what we needed, a long-winded post telling us things we already know.

Oh, and no one is getting 'kicked out of the Hall of Fame', sorry. All they will do is not vote IN suspected and proven cheaters and they have every right to do so. Deal with it.
  • Options
    steroids do not help you work out better either, learn about testosterone before making blanket statements. If anything you are close to would be steroids would help you recover better but not working out better . Why would you make such an ignorant statement ?
  • Options

<< <i>steroids do not help you work out better either, learn about testosterone before making blanket statements. If anything you are close to would be steroids would help you recover better but not working out better . Why would you make such an ignorant statement ? >>

OMFG. One of these 'steroids serve no purpose' idiots. I'm not arguing with you. It will only make me stupid. You think what you need to think and I will just sit back and laugh at you... and all the morons who risk so much taking stuff you think is a placebo. lol

Tootles.
  • Options
    Regardless of the many reasons HR records were obliterated in the late '90s to the early '00s, PEDs played a part in it and PEDs are banned in all major sports because of their affects on player performance. Their advantages are open to interpretation, but it's simply undeniable that they create an advantage for those who use them that is considered cheating. No one can deny that. Anyone who does deny it is spewing a propaganda laden agenda and can not be taken seriously.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Regardless of the many reasons HR records were obliterated in the late '90s to the early '00s, PEDs played a part in it and PEDs are banned in all major sports because of their affects on player performance. Their advantages are open to interpretation, but it's simply undeniable that they create an advantage for those who use them that is considered cheating. No one can deny that. Anyone who does deny it is spewing a propaganda laden agenda and can not be taken seriously. >>

Another theory out there is advanced diet, supplements, and work out regimens helped hitters a lot faster than it did pitchers. Pitchers in that era were simply overwhelmed. PEDs help you recover quicker from workouts, and, like 'greenies' before them, helped players log the thousands of innings in a season and still be productive. Throw in the rapid, overexpansion of teams in MLB (in which now there were many more pitchers in the majors who wouldn't have been just a few years before), and you have a recipe for the amazing offensive numbers that happened.

To sit there and suggest that PEDs and PEDs alone were the culprit is someone who shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of types of steroids for size. Just ask Ronnie Coleman.

Ronnie Coleman
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To sit there and suggest that PEDs and PEDs alone were the culprit is someone who shouldn't be taken seriously. >>

Good thing no one did that then, huh.
  • Options
    Hey 1985fan do you really think greenies helped players in the past the way HGH and steroids did in the 90's? There really is no comparison in the two. A greenie isn't going to help a bit in recovery if anything it's going to help a person lose muscle mass after continual use. I agree on the diet but that only goes so far a player is still going to slow down over a grueling season. You pump yourself full of HGH, the cream the clear etc and your playing 162 opening days like I said in another post.
  • Options
    Tony Gwynne allegedly used roids in 1997/1998 . He had an uptick in home runs those 2 years . Nolan Ryan of course . Ryan was in Texas with Canseco, Gonzalez , Palmeiro, and Brian Downing, who was probably the first guy to juice in baseball .