Comments

• Options
    dagman100dagman100 Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Total pop 100 (thanks to Brian)

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    She has a lot of mileage on her, but she is also very hard to find in any grade.

• Options
    You have some beautiful coins from -69!
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1874 $5 PCGS 50 (OGH)
    imageimage
    Estimated survival on PCGS Coinfacts is 80, but I think this is low, still is a rare date.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1874 $5 PCGS 50 (OGH)
    imageimage
    Estimated survival on PCGS Coinfacts is 80, but I think this is low, still is a rare date. >>

I'd say the details on your 74 are well above a 45.
  • Options
    I'm doing an 1869 set and this is the newest member of the set. Looks really nice in hand, will send to CAC to see what they think.

I had no idea when I started the set what I would be in for, but I quickly learned that there are several coins that qualify for the title of this post (sub 100 population). This is truly a project that takes some time for so many reasons...

• Options

<< <i>I'm doing an 1869 set and this is the newest member of the set. Looks really nice in hand, will send to CAC to see what they think.

I had no idea when I started the set what I would be in for, but I quickly learned that there are several coins that qualify for the title of this post (sub 100 population). This is truly a project that takes some time for so many reasons...

image >>

I am hooked on these as well. The scarcity / rarity adds another dimension of challenge and interest. image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mercurydimeguy:

Why an 1869 set? I know a lot of people do a date set for their birth year or their parents' birth years but somehow I think 1869 qualifies for neither. image So, why 1869?

And, of course, REALLY nice coin!!
    Mark

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Do these count? I have never seen another one - so actually this is a known pop of 1! image

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options

<< <i>mercurydimeguy: Why an 1869 set?

I know a lot of people do a date set for their birth year or their parents' birth years but somehow I think 1869 qualifies for neither. image So, why 1869?

And, of course, REALLY nice coin!! >>

Long story short -- I decided to do a 100 year birth set (e.g. giving away I was born in 1969). I did a birth-year set 1969 and thought it would be fun to do a 100 year set. Boy or boy, have I learned a lot. Nearly one third of the 24 coins required are 100 Pop or less coins, and a handful are sub 50.

Thanks for your kind words image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long story short -- I decided to do a 100 year birth set (e.g. giving away I was born in 1869).

Dude, you don't look half your age!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Long story short -- I decided to do a 100 year birth set (e.g. giving away I was born in 1869).

Dude, you don't look half your age! >>

LOL...slight typo image

Just changed to 1969...
  • Options
    Two new additions to this thread...
    P25 CAC

P53 CAC
  • Options
    This just arrived in the mail yesterday, an upgrade to my set image

• Options
    Here's another one arrived a week/two back but I just got around to imaging it tonight.

Love buying coins from auctions that sat in flips for 40 years, and were just slabbed now before their sale....

• Options
    Very col 1869 made cooler by the old auction trailer.

I've added these recently:
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    ok
    amazing examples herein guys...wow and great to see in the open most of these
    surely more patterns i'd think would make appearences

nothing to contribute...i had one though but sold it in my 1964 sms dime...est mintage 30 to 40
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    New one for the group...

• Options
    edited March 22, 2017 5:38AM
    Here's a sub 75 population coin...

• Options

Looks like I killed this thread in 2014, so I thought it would be fitting to revive it ;)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 6:12AM

Here are a couple of others.

1846-O half eagle. "Coin Facts" says there are 90 of these coins.

1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle, "Coin Facts" estimate is 88 pieces. Other estimates are higher, but this is the #1 U.S. type coin.

1796 over 5 half dime. This was the first overdate coin in the U.S. series. This is not much of coin, and it's the poorest one graded the last I knew, but at least it's fully identifiable. The "Coin Facts" estimate is 40 pieces.

A couple of pieces already covered ...

1797 13 star obverse half dime. This one was said to be the runner up when the plate coins were photographed for D.W. Valentine's book. I don't know if that is true.

1803 Small Date Half dime

And my favorite "burial," the 1855-D gold dollar. This coin is in an EF-45. I think that it makes AU-50, and will probably make that when someone else cracks it out of this holder and cleans it. No to be cynical, but I've seen that happen too many times.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

rhedden, I have always wanted one of those Transition Half Dimes (AKA a coin without a country)

1860 Stars Obverse transitional pattern half dime- 100 minted. PCGS MS63.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

The 1842 $2 1/2 in AU55 is a killer! I've always liked the 1839 small letters (about 75 exist?)

Craig

• Options

Total estimated extant....5

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only coins that rare aren't federal (actually 2 coins and a token).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

My 1847 O seated quarter has an actual population from both grading companies of 147 (I believe last time when I did a count of the census). Not quite sub 100, but, nonetheless a rare coin--

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 8:09AM

finally, i can play this game:

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 8:19AM

Sorry, it is a proof

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a photo of a rare 1829 Curl Base 2 Dime which is listed in the Red Book. PCGS estimates the population as "40 known." There are probably a few more than 40 examples known today.

PCGS has only graded 35 examples in all grades. The highest graded examples known to me are two examples that are graded VF35 by PCGS, with only 3 coins total graded in all VF grades!

The photo below is an example I have (in my inventory) that is graded PCGS G6 (CAC). I've owned one other example in the past, a coin graded PCGS VG8 (CAC).

Photo courtesy of W. David Perkins

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 8:48AM

I'm surprised that this thread has aged 4 years without any prior mention of this:

There are exactly 4 known examples of 1853-O No Arrows Half, the finest of which is the PCGS VF-35 pictured here.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    edited March 22, 2017 8:56AM

I'll also nominate the 1876-CC Half Eagle even though the current PCGS estimate is 117 in all grades. That number could easily be considered a very liberal estimate or a reasonable margin of error, given the upside incentive to upgrading any example by a single grade, which could involve cracking out for re-sub and discarding or keeping the insert.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭

CoinFacts says ~100 pieces in all grades.

• Options

@stealer ... the 1846 is a sleeper along with the 42 and 44.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 9:39PM

@coindeuce said:
    I'm surprised that this thread has aged 4 years without any prior mention of this:

There are exactly 4 known examples of 1853-O No Arrows Half, the finest of which is the PCGS VF-35 pictured here.

This one deserves better pics:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:

Probably less than 20 known.

Love the color on it!

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS AU58
    BD-8 has a surviving population of only 45 to 55 pieces in all grades, making it one of the scarcer Small Stars die pairings

• Options

The 1842 $5 is the rarest Philadelphia half eagle before the even more rarer civil war dates (1863 and 1865) yet it remains unloved and undervalued. This piece is the finest example that I have seen and comes from the collections of Ed Milas and Jimmy Hayes.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked up a few in Coinfacts and did not see the known estimate.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    @stealer ... the 1846 is a sleeper along with the 42 and 44.

I have to say, I kind of regret selling it. I also regret getting a bit overzealous with the rose thorn and taking off almost all the dirt on the coin. It came to me raw with some green gunk, and in the heat of the moment, I misindentified most all of the natural stuff as potentially hazardous.

• Options

Another New Orleans Mint Seated Half - with just 100 examples estimated to survive in all grades:
    pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6238

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

The best one I have that fits the description is a $20 1855 O in PCGS 53. It was graded a 55 in the mid 1980s but someone cracked it out and it came back a 53. All grades there are no more than 80 all grades and almost all are heavily abraded and dipped. I paid a premium for the coin as it has considerable mint luster and well struck for the date. The reverse shows little if any wear. this date is notorious for mint planchet flaws.

I also have a $20 1850 O that is an AU 55 PCGS. There are well over two hundred in existence but they coins really thin out at the AU 55 level as 13 have been slabbed by PCGS. Five AU 58 and one low end UNC. I try to get into the grade that becomes tough to get even if there are several VF and EF examples to be had. If the number in the case of an AU 55 gets you well under 100 counting the grade you have and those coins graded higher I consider it a rare coin and the price curve on the coin shows the "sweet spot" on the coin from a collecting standpoint.

Another factor to be considered is how deep is the market for the coin in question. By this I mean how many collectors are interested in a particular denomination and type of a coin.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1872 $5 , only 1660 total mintage, NGC total pop 26, PCGS total pop 27, 9 PCGS in AU53 (one of which is mine) , and that includes possible resubmissions. CoinFacts estimates 50 survive today.

My 1871 $5, 3200 total mintage, NGC total pop 47, PCGS total pop, 6 PCGS in AU55 (one of which is mine). CoinFacts estimates 75 total survivors.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Both coins have fewer than 100 examples surviving in all grades, though Coinfacts erroneously estimates the 70-CC
    survivors at 300.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file