Home Precious Metals

Fake silver Prospector?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did we decide that all proof-like silver Prospectors were fake?

Take a look at this. Seller has up a fake Trade Dollar and a fake 1928-P Peace dollar.

linky
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain, it is a fake.

Genuine American Prospector proofs do exist but surface infrequently.

The excessively rare Canadian Prospector is also a proof. I have posted one here before.

Edit: 1986 "Prospectors" where Mt. Everest replaces the prospector (eagle on reverse) are also genuine proofs.
  • Please educate how you know? I see a 100% positive - is it just that it's proof-like??image

<< <i>Please educate how you know? I see a 100% positive - is it just that it's proof-like??image >>

Fakes are invariably 1984 and feature the Big E reverse. When originally discovered the right thumb was missing while the globe was incomplete between the N and E of ONE on the reverse. The fakers follow what we post and fixed their dies. The thumb is now present and the globe is not as obviously incomplete where noted. Other details upon study are mushy or ill defined in and around the kneeling prospector.

I have seen genuine proofs with the eagle reverse but they are few and far between. An infrequent poster here is more knowledgeable than myself and could certainly add more.

My suggestion is to view all 1984 "prospectors" with the Big E reverse and proof-like surfaces as fakes. I do.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did we decide that all proof-like silver Prospectors were fake?

Take a look at this. Seller has up a fake Trade Dollar and a fake 1928-P Peace dollar.

linky >>

It went bye-bye........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    this has been gone over a couple time, but here is a pic from nate who owns coppercave.com,
    he did a pretty comprehensive study on fakes for the fine folks at bullionstacker.com,

i have a couple 1982 proof prospectors, i threw a pic up here a long time ago but was ignored, lol, since of course back then they didnt exist neither, lol... got one from my good friend dolomite...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>

linky >>

It went bye-bye........ >>

it did?, looks like its still listed...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>

<< <i>

linky >>

it did?, looks like its still listed... >>

It hardly matters. I have grown tired of reporting them to ebay.

1984 fake prospectors are legion on ebay. Anytime you see multiple proof-like prospectors in one auction its time to run.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

linky >>

it did?, looks like its still listed... >>

When I click on that linky I get a Morgan dollar round.
  • Nice visual dissertation, raw!

I'll chime in to echo OGIM and raw in that genuine proof-like Prospectors do exist and are quite rare.

I believe that Silver Baron would confirm that the rounds in his amazing Engelhard paperweight all appear to be proof-like examples as well.

“Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. and heads-up !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it's a fake prospector, but it's a fake prospector.

They'll run you $2 and change from China...
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    looks like they kicked it up a notch...
    added thumb, looks like reverse intact but cant really tell with pic...

alot harder to detect than previous ones...
    keceph `anah
  • Outer ring of dots still too far from reeded edge and the riverbed below the miner is still inaccurate. Looks like he's panning in a pool of worms image
    Yesterday I contacted an unsuspecting ebay buyer who bought one of these fakes last week. He sought and received a refund.

Here is another seller offering one of these 1984 fakes. I have reported it to the seller but he is sticking to his cover story. If others here report the auction as a counterfeit ebay may pull it.

Fake 1984 Prospector
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information... thanks rawteam1.... Cheers, RickO
  • Nice comparison pics rawteam1, and dolimite's comment on the outer ring of dots looks like a good tell too.

I didn't even know you had to watch out for these, is nothing safe anymore?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Ebay seller t6albert.123 dared me to report his fake 1984 "Engelhard Prospector".

I did and it went poof. image
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh. I reported it earlier today, too image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    lol, the original auction in OP, guy told me to call apmex cause thats where he bought a whole bunch of them,
    and they were real... (as a $3 dolla obama bill), i think if he would have spelled engelhard correctly, that may have helped...lol

his dissertation...

"Yeah, well you better tell APMEX one of ebay premier gold and silver dealers. That is where I brought 10 of them 2 months ago when prices where down! Moreover, I brought them right of ebay!!!! Check there out then get back with me!!"...
    keceph `anah
  • I'm loving it... image
    wow new rare engelhard find on ebay....eyeroll...

huckster

edit to add,
    simply amazing convo...

wheres the engelhard mark on the round?

There is no mark, but it's known Engelhard had struck these Silver Rounds as Silver trade units as noted in in listing. They struck many different silver bars and rounds for different companies.

sorry but that is simply untrue & misleading, engelhard has a mark on all silver & gold standard was an e mark also...

I have talked to them and not many people made bars starting in 1973 after Nixon lifted the ban on owning gold and silver bullion.
    keceph `anah