Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EAC lovers cover your eyes! Worst Chain Cent of all time!

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is pretty nice image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That corrosion looks like it's still active. Perhaps a long soak in mineral oil would help it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It's odd, but I've seen a few that I would consider worse...at least you can see a lot of details on that one!
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone should shoot it and put it out of its misery image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This is your chain cent on crystal meth."
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That corrosion looks like it's still active. Perhaps a long soak in mineral oil would help it. >>

I think a long soak in gin
    would help the owner!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's odd, but I've seen a few that I would consider worse...at least you can see a lot of details on that one! >>

A badly faded chain's about it.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's Edelman's which means someone likely pawned that sucker...and I'd still want it slabbed before I bought it. That obverse is damaged enough it could be a fake or an artificially aged Gallery Mint piece.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>That's Edelman's which means someone likely pawned that sucker...and I'd still want it slabbed before I bought it. That obverse is damaged enough it could be a fake or an artificially aged Gallery Mint piece. >>

I doubt that any major grading service would slab a coin with active corrosion.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's Edelman's which means someone likely pawned that sucker...and I'd still want it slabbed before I bought it. That obverse is damaged enough it could be a fake or an artificially aged Gallery Mint piece. >>

I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I doubt that any major grading service would slab a coin with active corrosion. >>

Does NCS still exist? Thats where that coin needs to go.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That corrosion looks like it's still active. Perhaps a long soak in mineral oil would help it. >>

I think a long soak in gin
    would help the owner! >>

.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is not the worst Chain cent I have ever seen. Many years ago I saw one at a New Jersey coin show that had the top two chain links barely showing on the reverse. That was the worst possible because it's hard to believe one could be identifiable with less. Perhaps if only the vines are bars and showing around the edge, but I believe the Wreath cents had the same edge design, but I could wrong about that. The only Wreath cent I've ever owned raw had the lettered edge.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I doubt that any major grading service would slab a coin with active corrosion. >>

I think you might be missing the point.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you might be missing the point. >>

Parry Hall missing a point? surely there must be another conclusion we can come to that doesn't rock the foundation of the forum to its core image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you might be missing the point. >>

Parry Hall missing a point? surely there must be another conclusion we can come to that doesn't rock the foundation of the forum to its core image >>

Who is this Parry Hall person that you speak of? It should go without saying that a fake coin wouldn't be slabbed by the major services. My point was that even if it were real the major grading services may not slab it due to active corrosion. They won't slab a genuine coin with active PVC.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying that's NOT original red? image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Does NCS still exist? Thats where that coin needs to go. >>

I've seen a disturbing number of expensive copper coins with active corrosion / PVC in first world TPG holders.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file