Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

gold coin help.

i am thinking of buying a gold coin and was wondering what a good gold coin starter would be. i was looking on ebay and saw some from the mid 1800's going for between 160 and 200 dollars. is this a good price.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be very, very careful..... There are loads of counterfeits/fakes out there. First get some training (books, get acquainted with a dealer, ask questions on this forum etc), then be sure it is TPG certified (careful of fake slabs).... Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Get an PCGS or NGC slabbed $5 Liberty. They have really fallen in price
    I saw an NGC MS62 go for $416 today on eBay. Be sure to sign up for
    Bucks, you get 2% back.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy a MS69 $5 American Gold Eagle (1986-present) in a year that has meaning to you.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    The only gold coin you might be able to get at around that price is a circulated gold dollar. If you're lucky, you may be able to find a damaged $2.5 Liberty, though I would stick with a problem-free VF-ish gold dollar.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    A PCGS MS-69 1/10 or 1/4 Gold Eagle would make a great starter coin.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a sign in shop. "I'm almost thinkin' about it". There are actually people who say this. I don't know what to say, so the sign is what I point to when I don't have an answer, yet.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    It's important to think about what you want in your first gold coin - Do you want just a "yellow" coin? Do you want a heavy yellow coin? Do you want an historic yellow coin? Do you want to hold the coin in your hand or have it be in a slab? etc. etc.

Once you've answered these types of questions, your coin of choice will jump out at you.

When I bought my first gold coin, I was excited just by the idea of a gold coin, so I bought a half sovereign for about melt. The coin is about the size of a dime and about 1/10th oz. of gold, so it's not heavy. After a week or two of ownership, I decided that what I really wanted was a heavy coin, so I bought a sovereign for about melt. The coin is the size of a nickel and about 1/4 oz. of gold - the coin is much heavier than a nickel!

Although I still have both coins, I was a much happier owner of the heavier coin, because that was what I really wanted.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think about it,
    you're not going to get much gold for that amount
    realize that the $1 that you see are almost invisible
    LOL

don't think of buying a raw coin
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend a dirty and original 1840's-1850's $5. Between $400-$1000 for a decent AU. If you want to stretch check out the 1846 Small date, or the 1850 which are both very scare and quite affordable if you can find one.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first gold coin was a circulated 1 oz gold Krugerrand. I highly recommend them. They sell for very little premium over melt. They're beautiful and enormously heavy and fun to play with raw. They're also ridiculosly easy to turn back into cash when you're done loving it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file